2024 Presidential Election Thread

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 9:40 PM
posted by Ironman92

Who is Regan?

Ronald Reagan. Sorry, misspelling.

Reagan in 1976 nearly took the nomination away from Gerald Ford. It's the closest someone has came to knocking out an incumbent President in the primary. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 9:42 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

It’s apparently not that difficult to determine if pictures/videos have been manipulated with AI, but that didn’t stop Trump from falsely saying it happened anyways.

I don't know about AI, but the Harris campaign briefly used an edited recording of a phone call between Trump and Walz. 

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 9:45 PM

I listened to about 15 minutes of the Elon Musk and Trump interview and I think Trump has dentures. Because he was talking and sounded like he didn't have them in. I listened to them talking about the shooting and then had to stop because I loath hearing that lol!

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 9:48 PM

@ptown, the Bernie reference I made was about what the Dems did in the 2016 primary.

The Dems have been mucking around for a while now.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 10:04 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

@ptown, the Bernie reference I made was about what the Dems did in the 2016 primary.

The Dems have been mucking around for a while now.

Sure. Bernie supporters will claim that in 2016. But, the party rallied around Clinton and did not want a brokered convention. They did not want a replay of the Republicans in 76. 

It is just like the RNC in 2016 with Cruz. He did not fall in line and said to vote your conscience. 

I completely disagree with your whole premise as the parties are operating as they always have, both of them. 

Historically, this is how the two party system operates. 

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 10:25 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I don't agree with your last two points as well.

Why?

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 10:33 PM

Sure. Bernie supporters will claim that in 2016. But, the party rallied around Clinton and did not want a brokered convention. They did not want a replay of the Republicans in 76. 

If you recall this issue went to court, with the judge ruling that the DNC didn't have to follow its own charter.

So the party rallied around Clinton, AFTER they bent Bernie.

I'm not a Bernie fan and never would have voted for him. But there were a shit ton of people who would have. And he was beating Hillary. But it should have been the choice of the people, not the manipulators of the party. And the Dems really need to straighten up and put forward some good faith actions if they really want to buff out some of the tarnish. 

Tue, Aug 13, 2024 12:46 PM

NY kicking RFKjr off the ballot because he doesn't have a real residency there, needed to have petitions, and that the bedroom he was renting there wasn't big enough to keep all the people he needed for his campaign.

Edit to add: it was Dems that brought the lawsuit.

https://apnews.com/article/kennedy-rfk-jr-ballot-new-york-residency-faaf0c8d7638cdfcdbe3c4eb7b542eef

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Aug 14, 2024 11:47 AM

Agree with all of that. It is insanely popular now. It was during the Trump years too, which is why the Republicans could never kill it. 

I'd still say too the pros of NAFTA far outweigh the bad, given the growth of the US economy the last 30 years. 

It's not and never was 'insanely popular', unless you consider effectively forcing people into spending 2-3x more and accepting the related lies about keeping your doctors etc.. a good thing. 

The devastating effects of ill-conceived trade agreements, NAFTA among them, along with the predatory regulation/administrative state, are plain to see.  Turning back those idiotic policies and correcting our tax rates led to the beginning of the reshoring of manufacturing here during the Trump years.  Capital will always flow to where it is best treated.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Aug 14, 2024 5:59 PM
posted by Laley23

Taxes aren't tipped now, when paid in cash anyway!

They absolutely are required by law when I waited tables.

No one did it though…..

Wed, Aug 14, 2024 8:07 PM

Walz could easily and simply shut the Republicans and his fellow vets up about this stolen valor thing.

"I had been inspired and supported by my family, friends and students to pursue a career in politics for years. This was on my mind for some time until I couldn't resist the calling any more. It's unfortunate that the optics can be seen by some that I abandoned my post years before my time out of fear of war. I promise that wasn't my intention and I apologize to my fellow vets who saw events differently than my actual intention.

As for my rank, it was simply me becoming used to being referred to by the provisional rank and habits are sometimes hard to break. I'm sorry for offending my fellow vets, most sincerely!"

But somebody coached him into acting the victim of accusations and he chose to follow their guidance. I think getting ahead of the trail with something like the example I have above would have been more effective. But I'm not into politics like that (employment) so it doesn't matter.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 15, 2024 8:49 AM

One of Kamala’s first policies is reportedly a federal price gouging law. How are you going to implement that besides price controls? Which has repeatedly been a failed economic policy. 

Thu, Aug 15, 2024 6:45 PM

Harris and Walz will be giving an interview tonight!

They will be interviewing each other. 

Thu, Aug 15, 2024 7:34 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Harris and Walz will be giving an interview tonight!

They will be interviewing each other. 

They’re going to hide her as long as possible. And Walz afraid to debate until after early voting starts. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 124 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Aug 15, 2024 8:42 PM
posted by iclfan2

They’re going to hide her as long as possible. And Walz afraid to debate until after early voting starts. 

Yep, using the old Hide Weekend at Bernie's (Biden) tactic 2.0. Neither of those clowns will debate yet the sheep will vote them in running on Biden's horrific platform.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 1:11 PM

Honest Questions for Harris Voters. How do you see her flip flopping on several issues in the last few years. What do you believe her real stances are on these issues.

1) She was in favor of a mandatory gun buyback of Assault rifles. 

2) She was against Fracking including supporting a federal ban on it

3) She wanted to decriminalize border crossing and rework ICE (compared ICE to nazis) 

How also do you feel about her copying Trumps no taxes on tips after seeing how well that was doing in polls in battleground states. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 1:15 PM
posted by sportchampps

Honest Questions for Harris Voters. How do you see her flip flopping on several issues in the last few years. What do you believe her real stances are on these issues.

1) She was in favor of a mandatory gun buyback of Assault rifles. 

2) She was against Fracking including supporting a federal ban on it

3) She wanted to decriminalize border crossing and rework ICE (compared ICE to nazis) 

How also do you feel about her copying Trumps no taxes on tips after seeing how well that was doing in polls in battleground states. 

I think it’s important to move to the middle and give in to certain things that are important to all people not just ones who vote for you or that u necessarily agree with . I think all candidates should do this. I’m glad trump finally has a policy we can discuss tho. If only he actually had more actual policies to discuss he probably would be doing better 

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 1:50 PM
posted by geeblock

I think it’s important to move to the middle and give in to certain things that are important to all people not just ones who vote for you or that u necessarily agree with . I think all candidates should do this. I’m glad trump finally has a policy we can discuss tho. If only he actually had more actual policies to discuss he probably would be doing better 

I agree with you on the fact that presidential hopefuls need to realize that if they win they will be a president for every body and not just their base. But I do wish they would have this point of view during primaries (when they are allowed to happen).

As for Trump, I think we all already know what his policies are from 2016 and 2020. There is no reason to wonder about that - economy and immigration. The new things like no taxes on tips should be discussed, questioned and criticized (by those who obviously want govt to get all the taxes it can).

As an aside:

I previously thought that KennedyJr would be taking a lot of votes from the left. But as time goes on the lefties I listen to are saying they are going to vote for Jill Stein. Every one of them. Jr is a.filthy Zionist to them. In today's politics, being called a Zionist is the left's version of the N word. Definitely a slur. They say that rather than calling somebody a filthy Jew or a Jew lover.

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 2:08 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

But as time goes on the lefties I listen to are saying they are going to vote for Jill Stein. 

Must be why they’re trying to keep her and Jr off ballots in states. Almost seems like a threat to democracy.

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-jill-stein-harris-trump-lawsuit-405e8bae8ff9becfa81a1360708d59a0

And Kamala hasn’t flipped on any policies. She still believes those. She changed how she talks about them a few months ago to pretend she isn’t a far left radical. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 2:35 PM

I’m still waiting on his healthcare plan that was going to be ready in two weeks and that was  4 years ago lol 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login