2024 Presidential Election Thread

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 11, 2024 6:49 PM

Nancy Pelosi out there spilling the beans! Saying she was never impressed by Biden's political operation.

For her to be that open about that right now (read as 'already') gives me reason to think that the Dems are just that confident to win. I'm confident that they will too.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 11, 2024 7:21 PM

posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

TDS is a bad name for describing people who loathe Trump.  In most cases, they have a very rationale reason for not liking the guy.  I would also suggest that a lot of what’s labeled “TDS” isn’t focused entirely at Trump the person.  Rather it’s rejection of the entire MAGA mentality.  Granted Trump’s a big part of that.  But I think people who claim to hate Trump really hate the mentality that has grown up around the MAGA movement.

Over the years, the use of TDS has spread to the degree I find it best to just ignore it, since overall (ie: not specifically here), for every one time it is legit justified, it gets used multiple times by MAGA sorts for any and every case of a person disliking him, his policies, etc. Usually by the same people who automatically call any and everything left-related "Marxism" and who apparently forgot all the stupid shit not related to policy they bitch about concerning left-leaning politicians because self-awareness isn't their strong suit.

All in all, it comes off more like the whole recent "They're weird" thing, where its use seems more designated to get under the skin of someone or a group, as opposed to something to be taken seriously in anything remotely resembling actual conversation/discussion.

As for MAGA mentality, it's just the opposite side of the coin from the super-progressive (Squad) Ds. A bunch of abrasive "all about me!" twats whose main skills revolve around being loud attention whores. At least with the Ds, people are wising up to their shit, with Cori Bush and Jamaal Bowman both losing recent primaries. It'd be really cool if the Rs would do the same, but I don't know how likely that will happen as long as Trump is alive because, for better or worse, he does have a hold over the party and way too many R politicians are total spineless cowards who magically completely reversed their opinions of him the second he got actual power.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 11, 2024 7:22 PM

Here’s why I believe the Dems will win

I simply do not believe the the Trumpians or the anti-dems will get their butts out and vote like the Dems and the anti-Trumps.

I live in an area that is about 75/25 Trump over Biden, Harris is moot here….but I believe it should be even more.

I ump a Sunday softball league of about 100 players in the Tri county area. If those 100, if they voted I’d honestly guess Trump 85-15….but I’d bet good money that most of the Trumps of this group of people will only have about 25-30 vote. I feel pretty confident in my guesstimate.

So if that group it should be 85-15 Trump, but instead it’ll be 25 or 30 to 15 Trump, yeah that still Trump but it’s a significant issue when maybe 50% of registered voters vote. I’m just giving a southern Ohio example but there will be a state or two or three that will be pretty close for the Republicans winning, but those states will have enough people like I’m speaking of to be the difference.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 11, 2024 7:51 PM

I think it will come down to the debates, as it seems Kamala is trying to hide behind a Hollywood-produced campaign.

If in the debates the old, awkward and fake Kamala shows up, Trump will win.  If she manages to be somewhat likeable or relatable, or more likely Trump does Trump, then she'll win.

Think how remarkable this all is.  3-4 months ago people were talking about replacing Kamala on the ticket because she was so unpopular.  And Biden was "brilliant behind closed doors".  Now Kamala slides into the top of the ticket without a single primary vote, ever, and has suddenly become a "historical & transformative" candidate.  The media is unbelievably corrupt.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Aug 11, 2024 8:25 PM
posted by gut

I think it will come down to the debates, as it seems Kamala is trying to hide behind a Hollywood-produced campaign.

If in the debates the old, awkward and fake Kamala shows up, Trump will win.  If she manages to be somewhat likeable or relatable, or more likely Trump does Trump, then she'll win.

Think how remarkable this all is.  3-4 months ago people were talking about replacing Kamala on the ticket because she was so unpopular.  And Biden was "brilliant behind closed doors".  Now Kamala slides into the top of the ticket without a single primary vote, ever, and has suddenly become a "historical & transformative" candidate.  The media is unbelievably corrupt.

Democracy baby

Sun, Aug 11, 2024 8:42 PM
posted by gut

Well, I think the media liked Kamala more than anyone else. She couldn't even really make it to Iowa. People still remember how Tulsi wiped the floor with her and she had no real explanation or defense other than saying she was proud of what she did - keeping peopled jailed after their release date because it would mess up the prison system work force and then keeping people in death row even after courts instructed her to release them. The far left are now laying into her now that they've somewhat satiated themselves on Walz. She's really pissed them off with her "I'm speaking!" moment. Not sure how good that was to do in Michigan. 

She is also going into the convention which is in Chicago, which also happens to have the largest population of Palestinians in the US. I'm interested in seeing if she will repeat that moment again. Because there will be protesters there and she should have a better response prepared by then.

Sun, Aug 11, 2024 8:43 PM
posted by Ironman92

Democracy baby

Indeed!

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 10:14 AM

Anybody else having problems with the site or is it my cell service again?

33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 10:20 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Anybody else having problems with the site or is it my cell service again?

Its in and out this am

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 12:43 PM
posted by Laley23

Its in and out this am

Ok, thanks! Justin must be tinkering again.

News is spreading about Tulsi:

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 3:50 PM

No taxes on tips. I support it, actually. I think it's a good start on giving tax breaks to the working poor. I would support that idea to the whole working class. Let Congress figure out how they can reconfigure their spending habits - because they've ceded their jobs to lobbyists and big donors for far too long. 

It's also interesting and funny for Kamala to adopt this idea, along with now saying she wants to be tough on the border. 

33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 4:23 PM

Taxes aren't tipped now, when paid in cash anyway!

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 4:30 PM
posted by Laley23

Well, even before the wide usage of credit/debit cards waitresses had to allocate 15% for taxes. And they could be audited through receipts. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 5:11 PM
posted by Laley23

Ehh it depends. When I was a bartender and server you could always get away with not claiming some cash tips but you always had to claim some.  A lot of places have different rules in place but I know the place I was at the longest required you to claim at least 10% of your sales as your tipped amount. Then if you were serving you paid payed 3% of sales to the bartender as their tip share. So really it just depends what percentage of your tips were cash and what percentage were credit cards. 

Now another downside to not claiming those tips was benefits like social  security and things like that which depend on your income. 

I also knew servers claimed everything because they were wanting to buy a house in the next couple years and needed to have their income high enough to get approved for loans. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 5:30 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Nancy Pelosi out there spilling the beans! Saying she was never impressed by Biden's political operation.

For her to be that open about that right now (read as 'already') gives me reason to think that the Dems are just that confident to win. I'm confident that they will too.

Yeah, she went old school, pre 1970 to get Biden to step down. 

I don't think there was anything wrong or illegal about what the democrats did. I do agree the DNC played favorites in moving the primary locations and dates.

But, Biden was the incumbent President and rarely does an incumbent President get a primary challenge. We have to go back to 1980 and Ted Kennedy challenging Carter. Regan before that in 76 with Ford. 

Every other incumbent President has not been challenged seriously. Trump wasn't in 20 for example.

Also, there is nothing in the Constitution that says what the Dems did were wrong. Political parties have only recently been having primary elections.

Before that it was the party elites that chose the candidates. 

Pelosi also made her move before the DNC, before legally the party can adopt a nominee. So, she went old school like the dems did to Truman in 1952, to say, step down, you have no support.

Pelosi, like McConnell, in the Senate, is a ruthless political operative. She figured Biden had to step aside if they were to have any chance. 

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 5:34 PM

I do think the debates will play a huge role as Kamala is just introducing herself to most of America.

I think it is a toss up still. All of the swing states are within the margin of error. Things could easily change in a month. Hell, just in three weeks, Trump was shot, had the great RNC, Biden dropped out, and Kamala assumed the role.

A lot can happen in another month that could change the race again. 

Kamala is probably the favorite to win, but it's likely only a slight one, probably just over 50% change of winning. Or, to put it in betting terms, probably-115 money line. 

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 7:38 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yeah, she went old school, pre 1970 to get Biden to step down. 

I don't think there was anything wrong or illegal about what the democrats did. I do agree the DNC played favorites in moving the primary locations and dates.

But, Biden was the incumbent President and rarely does an incumbent President get a primary challenge. We have to go back to 1980 and Ted Kennedy challenging Carter. Regan before that in 76 with Ford. 

Every other incumbent President has not been challenged seriously. Trump wasn't in 20 for example.

Also, there is nothing in the Constitution that says what the Dems did were wrong. Political parties have only recently been having primary elections.

Before that it was the party elites that chose the candidates. 

Pelosi also made her move before the DNC, before legally the party can adopt a nominee. So, she went old school like the dems did to Truman in 1952, to say, step down, you have no support.

Pelosi, like McConnell, in the Senate, is a ruthless political operative. She figured Biden had to step aside if they were to have any chance. 

So you would agree with the idea that the Dems should stop belting out "save our democracy!", considering:

- your agreeing that they pick favorites by not letting a democratic process play out ie: Bernie 

- they have worked, and are working, to imprison and bankrupt their political opponents

- have coordinated a massive effort to remove a political opponents name from the ballot

Mon, Aug 12, 2024 7:50 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

So you would agree with the idea that the Dems should stop belting out "save our democracy!", considering:

- your agreeing that they pick favorites by not letting a democratic process play out ie: Bernie 

- they have worked, and are working, to imprison and bankrupt their political opponents

- have coordinated a massive effort to remove a political opponents name from the ballot

No, not at all. In fact, they went old school, but still within the confines of the primary process historically. 

I do agree that the DNC moving the calendar around from Iowa to South Carolina was a payback as Biden won South Carolina back in 20. But, the Iowa caucas was a disaster and they deserved to lose it. 

Bernie wasn't running this year, and Biden didn't have a real primary challenge, because he is the incumbent President, and they usually don't. As I said, only 2 recently have had real challenges, Carter in 80 and Ford in 76. 

But, what they are doing has been done before,  just not in the last 50 years. It's like what they did to Truman in 1952 as I said. 

I don't agree with your last two points as well.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 8:08 PM

It’s apparently not that difficult to determine if pictures/videos have been manipulated with AI, but that didn’t stop Trump from falsely saying it happened anyways.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Aug 12, 2024 9:01 PM

Who is Regan?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login