2024 Presidential Election Thread

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 10:21 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Interesting how random people become overnight experts on topics such as military rank seemingly overnight.

One day: Couldn’t list military ranks in their entirety. 

Next day: Expert on nuance of earned rank versus retired rank, combat deployment, consensus opinion of current and retired military personnel, etc.

It’s so weird you still don’t understand how the internet works. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 10:23 AM

Yes, and how people who’d never heard of it on a Tuesday understood it intimately and were closely familiar with its creators’ plans by Wednesday.

But I do agree with you.  That sort of thing is pretty much the standard resume embellishment.  Can be as subtle as "retired AT the rank" is correct, while "retired WITH the rank" apparently is not.

As politicians lying goes, this one should barely be on the radar.

It is kind of funny how the DEI candidate has to pick the stereotypical midwestern gun-loving middle-class old white male to balance the ticket.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 11:13 AM

Interesting how random people become overnight experts on topics such as military rank seemingly overnight.

One day: Couldn’t list military ranks in their entirety. 

Next day: Expert on nuance of earned rank versus retired rank, combat deployment, consensus opinion of current and retired military personnel, etc.

Interesting how random people become experts on what other people do or do not know.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 11:23 AM

The whole stolen valor thing is such a popular thing to do if you're connected to DC in any way. There was a political pundit who got fired or had a suspension or something for making a wartime claim that wasn't true. Hillary Clinton got a bunch of flack for doing something similar. And I vaguely remember somebody else doing it too, but too lazy at the moment to look it up.

I have to wonder why people feel compelled to do it when they have to know by now that they will get caught and called out for it. 

Knuckleheads lol

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 4:05 PM
posted by iclfan2

It’s so weird you still don’t understand how the internet works. 

I’m pretty familiar with it.  Googling something quickly and getting a soundbite’s worth of info and then using that to make an “informed” decision about a person’s character and entire history  - and offering strong opinions to everyone about these things - is what I mean. 

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 4:46 PM

I’m pretty familiar with it.  Googling something quickly and getting a soundbite’s worth of info and then using that to make an “informed” decision about a person’s character and entire history  - and offering strong opinions to everyone about these things - is what I mean. 

I don’t google anything. You can find veterans and multiple people’s opinion very quickly. 

Back to the topic, is Kamala ever going to do an adversarial interview or anything? Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t make her do it either, but are we just gonna pretend she doesn’t need to? Where are the “journalists”? Where the f is Biden?

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 4:59 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don’t google anything. You can find veterans and multiple people’s opinion very quickly. 

Back to the topic, is Kamala ever going to do an adversarial interview or anything? Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t make her do it either, but are we just gonna pretend she doesn’t need to? Where are the “journalists”? Where the f is Biden?

She’s doing the debates.  I’d guess she’ll do an interview too.  And regardless of who it’s with, MAGAs will call it “softball”.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 5:00 PM
posted by iclfan2

I think you get my point: you’re not an expert on anyone or anything after one day of web research.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 6:15 PM

I think you get my point: you’re not an expert on anyone or anything after one day of web research.

I don’t need to be an expert to know he lied about his rank. They even changed it themselves. She has also said she’s only doing one debate that wasn’t even agreed to with her. She refuses the Fox one. You can pretend to not know what that means. Oh the repubs pounced! Why is she afraid? She’s on paper completely changing her entire beliefs, yet hasn’t had to answer to it at all. 

When’s the last time a person running for president has never had to run for it or answer any questions?

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 6:31 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don’t need to be an expert to know he lied about his rank. They even changed it themselves. She has also said she’s only doing one debate that wasn’t even agreed to with her. She refuses the Fox one. You can pretend to not know what that means. Oh the repubs pounced! Why is she afraid? She’s on paper completely changing her entire beliefs, yet hasn’t had to answer to it at all. 

When’s the last time a person running for president has never had to run for it or answer any questions?

You’re right… just continue to regurgitate talking points as soon as you stumble upon them.

You can not like Harris - I get that.  I don’t know if she’ll make much of a candidate.  We shall see.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 6:34 PM

You’re right… just continue to regurgitate talking points as soon as you stumble upon them.

You can not like Harris - I get that.  I don’t know if she’ll make much of a candidate.  We shall see.

I think for myself thanks (based on actual clips and research). She’s also going to win. But don’t pretend for one minute they wouldn’t be screaming if another candidate could hide themselves the whole time. You can be left all you want, but it’s unprecedented. 

I also don’t understand people like Laley who say if it wasn’t for Trump they may vote right. You either have beliefs for the country or you don’t. The person changes almost nothing.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 6:46 PM
posted by iclfan2

Interested in that

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 6:54 PM

Why does it bother you so much that he doesn't like Kamala and points out obvious things?

When people point out obvious things about Trump and don't like him, not to mention won't be voting for him, you don't act this way. You never accuse them of "regurgitate talking points".

Stop acting like your pussy hurts over it.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 7:02 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Why does it bother you so much that he doesn't like Kamala and points out obvious things?

When people point out obvious things about Trump and don't like him, not to mention won't be voting for him, you don't act this way. You never accuse them of "regurgitate talking points".

Stop acting like your pussy hurts over it.

I’m teasing him for expounding on Walz’s “stolen valor” when just days ago, he’d probably never heard of the guy.  To make it fair, I said the same thing about the Project 2025 fear mongering.

I couldn’t care less if iclfan2 dislikes Harris.  He’s entitled to feel that way.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 7:13 PM
posted by iclfan2

I think for myself thanks (based on actual clips and research). She’s also going to win. But don’t pretend for one minute they wouldn’t be screaming if another candidate could hide themselves the whole time. You can be left all you want, but it’s unprecedented. 

I also don’t understand people like Laley who say if it wasn’t for Trump they may vote right. You either have beliefs for the country or you don’t. The person changes almost nothing.

I think for many, many people, the person changes everything.  Policy is all well and good, but people desire a leader they can admire, in whatever way they do that.  Much of what a president is elected for is not his/her positions on specific policy matters.  These things are important of course.  But a lot of what draws people to a candidate is whether they believe that person will come through when an extreme leadership situation arises.  Who knows what it may be. 

If you look back at most elections, the leadership charisma and likability are the things that sway the vote.  You can be cynical and think this is because people aren’t thoughtful.  Or you can assume that large groups often make good choices even if they can’t always articulate “why” at an individual level.  I think this is a driving force.

This is why someone may say they agree with some of Trump’s or Harris’s platform, but won’t vote for him or her.  Deep down, they know few of those stances matter much as the new president doesn’t get a chance to change a lot of that.  Rather it’s because they don’t believe the person has the stuff to handle real crisis when it comes.

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 7:15 PM
posted by iclfan2

No, she won't get any legit pushback,because 98% of the media are Dem stenographers. For the people who will do the performative outrage about that - the other 2% are FOX news and NY Post. 

I'll say this for Laley and Heretic - they seem to be the only people on this site that's somewhere on the left that have the ability to reason through their stances without trying to center their arguments on the person. 

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 7:18 PM

And cheers to Boogie for finally getting away from the insults and articulating his own thoughts. YAY!

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 7:26 PM

AB, while a mess is a pretty funny follow on Twitter nowadays. He goes over the line some but he’s also right on some things.

https://x.com/ab84/status/1822410788679594235?s=46&t=C2WPcF6lbnPsYusDnwucFQ

Sat, Aug 10, 2024 7:37 PM

I think that as time matches on and the Boomers steadily disappear (they are the biggest group that relies on corporate media), more and more people will increase what they are looking for in a president. GenX, the Millie's and GenZ are more apt to spread out their sources of info. They are also, in my opinion, less apt to memory hole what people say. 

And if I had to bet, I'd place money on GenZ to be the ones that are more apt to vote for somebody in a 3rd party. They won't have any compunction about doing so as they are going to be aware that the Duopoly has done the no favors. I have voted 3rd party twice now and survived. I'll probably keep doing it until something gives.

To repeat something I've been saying for a long time now... the paradigms are shifting now. Traditional Dem values used to be anti war, pro working class and to leave people alone. Well, the Republicans are picking and adopting those values for themselves because the Dems have discarded them. The Republicans used to be pro war, big on corporations and for the white color class. Well, the Dems have picked up for themselves what has been discarded. It will fun to watch this process play out. 

33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 10, 2024 10:38 PM

I don’t get involved on this thread much, but kinda found myself on here no lol.

But this is not true. I’m 38, my life barely changes with who is in charge atm. Not enough gets done over 4 yrs, for my life as an admittedly wealthy, white male, who has inheritance coming his way. Obama changed my life with ACA, because I have Ankylosing Spondylitis — and at the time was an independent contractor. That is the only time I think I have been full on “left”. I very much like GOP policies. And would likely vote that way the last 3 elections. Unfortunately for me (personally) Trump has been the nominee, and he is a blabbering buffoon. 

My dad wasn’t some scholar, but we all take things we have learned. And he instilled in me, “don’t be obtuse and stubborn, vote for the smartest person running”. Thus, 3 elections if D votes. And yes, my life has been MUCH better the last 4 years than the previous 4, just by not having Trump thrust down my throat every minute. You can dismiss my feelings at your own peril, but the reality is, I think I am much closer to the general public that you want to admit. It’s why I was confident a white male would smoke Trump last time and why I think he has zero shot this time. People don’t want to deal with the division and pettiness every day. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login