2024 Presidential Election Thread

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:25 PM
posted by geeblock

Link please also who is they? 

Please don't be too stupid with this when, if you read any posts prior to the one you quoted, it's repeated several times who "they" are.

Also, when you pull this performative stupidity, it makes it very hard to stick up for you when jmog bulldogs you. 

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:28 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I think you are glossing over the anti gay hysteria from the 80s and 90s....

I think you're over characterizing fear levels. Especially when people like Freddie Mercury, Boy George, etc were on posters in everybody's bedrooms.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:33 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I think you're over characterizing fear levels. Especially when people like Freddie Mercury, Boy George, etc were on posters in everybody's bedrooms.

I'm asking to see if you have gone back and read the same journals and studies you are citing to see what they were saying back in the 80s and 90s?

Were those then promoted by the media to fit a certain narrative like people agree to? 

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:34 PM

Not my argument.

Mine is everything around the issue is hysteria and the worst case scenario just like the hysteria with gays in the 80s and 90s.

I'm not denying what you say is true in some cases, but I'm not making it a broad statement about trans issue in general. 

So if you had a daughter, perhaps 14 yrs old, who maybe had little to no social abilities, maybe some level of autism, had anxiety compounded by depression and told you that they thought they were really the opposite sex and wanted have top surgery would you do it? 

If somebody else is concerned about that happening by, not just by the hundreds but the thousands, that is "hysteria" in your mind?

Or are you just using words like hysteria to feel better about your own point of view?

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:35 PM

I'm asking to see if you have gone back and read the same journals and studies you are citing to see what they were saying back in the 80s and 90s. 

Were those then promoted by the media to fit a certain narrative like people agree to.

Dude, I was born in '70. I don't have to read a journal about it, I was there.

Gen X, fuck yeah!

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:39 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Dude, I was born in '70. I don't have to read a journal about it, I was there.

Gen X, fuck yeah!

Then you know there are similarities....

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:40 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Please don't be too stupid with this when, if you read any posts prior to the one you quoted, it's repeated several times who "they" are.

Also, when you pull this performative stupidity, it makes it very hard to stick up for you when jmog bulldogs you. 

I looked and I don’t see it? So who? The schools? Government? Who is giving kids under 18 drugs without parent permission or allowing surgery without permission? If this is true I would honestly like to know so I asked for a link. I did a 5 min google search and didn’t find any states where this was true before I asked . 

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:40 PM

To answer your question, yes. Those gay singers got all of the medias to promote them. From shows like Solid Gold to worldwide televised concerts like Live Aid (watched it till I got a headache so bad it made me throw up).

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:42 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

So if you had a daughter, perhaps 14 yrs old, who maybe had little to no social abilities, maybe some level of autism, had anxiety compounded by depression and told you that they thought they were really the opposite sex and wanted have top surgery would you do it? 

If somebody else is concerned about that happening by, not just by the hundreds but the thousands, that is "hysteria" in your mind?

Or are you just using words like hysteria to feel better about your own point of view?

Look, I see the language used today and it really reminds me of the same language used in the 80s and 90s about gays that turned out to be totally wrong.

You may be right about some cases, but modern history shows that scary social issue topics turn out to be totally wrong and overblown. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 8:49 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I don’t believe the scenario you describe is happening in the hundreds of thousands.  I’m sure there is a sad story like this somewhere.  Just like there are sad stories about countless other issues.  That doesn’t make any one of them a rampant social problem.  

Go watch Jesus Camp.  Think we should make religion illegal because kids like that are “pushed” into extreme religion with permanent lifelong negative consequences?

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 9:18 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I don’t believe the scenario you describe is happening in the hundreds of thousands.  I’m sure there is a sad story like this somewhere.  Just like there are sad stories about countless other issues.  That doesn’t make any one of them a rampant social problem.  

Go watch Jesus Camp.  Think we should make religion illegal because kids like that are “pushed” into extreme religion with permanent lifelong negative consequences?

Not really a good scenario for me because, while I believe in God, I'm not a zealot. 

I also don't like putting makeup on little girls, dress them in skimpy bikinis and have them parade around and pose for the amusement of adults. 

This isn't even a matter of politics, it's a matter of principal. And to try to downplay any of it (one is too much) says more about you than it does me and I say that under no uncertain terms.

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 9:27 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I don’t believe the scenario you describe is happening in the hundreds of thousands.  

Well, you shouldn't, because that is not what I said.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 9:29 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Hell speaking of the 80’s I just kept thinking he was referring to Def Leppard’s gigantic smash album

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 10:03 PM
posted by geeblock

Link please also who is they? 

California for one. If two parents don’t agree they signed into law that a single parent can travel to California without the other parents knowledge or consent and get all of the gender affirming care they want.  

So yes, parents can be completely in the dark. 

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 10:10 PM
posted by Ironman92

Hell speaking of the 80’s I just kept thinking he was referring to Def Leppard’s gigantic smash album

I still have that cassette! Great times!

geeblock Member
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 10:13 PM
posted by jmog

California for one. If two parents don’t agree they signed into law that a single parent can travel to California without the other parents knowledge or consent and get all of the gender affirming care they want.  

But they have a parent there. U said parents plural which is two different things. 

After reading up on the law this description of the law is also not correct or complete. 

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 10:14 PM

One thing I'm still trying to figure out and that is Walz being Kamala's pick for VP. His state has 10 electoral votes but Pennsylvania has 19. Wouldn't it increase her odds of winning by picking the gov of a state with double the amount of EC votes? 

33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 10:15 PM
posted by jmog

Honest question. How is that different from any other Dr visit/appointment. My wife takes care of all our kids immunizations, check ups, etc. I’m never consulted… what is different here? All I just read was that a parent is indeed aware and present, which contradicts everything I have read (which is definitely misleading because I’ve tried to avoid any topic on it so only see each sides extreme hate/excuse).

geeblock Member
Thu, Aug 8, 2024 10:30 PM

The set of circumstances that would allow one parent to not be notified is extremely narrow and unlikely. Certainly the way he described the whole process I’m going to assume was trolling. 

Thu, Aug 8, 2024 11:03 PM

It wasn't trolling. It's already happened.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login