2024 Presidential Election Thread

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 11:34 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Well, you said that you didn't believe what I had said. And by the way, that's not the only time he says that; he harped on that a couple of times. That's why I said that that was the purpose of his point - begging them to vote. 

As I said before:

1) there are way too many dog whistles that only the left can seem to hear.

2) I think this is another " bloodbath" situation.

You still didn't answer my question.  He said he'd fix it so they wouldn't have to vote anymore.  What did he mean by that do you suppose?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:14 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

You still didn't answer my question.  He said he'd fix it so they wouldn't have to vote anymore.  What did he mean by that do you suppose?

Something tells me you two aren’t going to see eye to eye on this. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:15 PM

I took it as Trump’s hyperbolic “I’m going to fix the country so good that people will vote R forever so you won’t have to come out in mass again”

Just him being the narcissist he is that he will make the country a utopia so Rs will win forever going forward.

Trueblue23 BASEDgod
7,504 posts 17 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:22 PM

My 2 cents - it was him riffing and meaning "yeah things are gonna be so great you won't care to vote, it won't be important"

But of course, when needed, Trump is "lulzliterallyHitler" so it means he's going to remove the entire Democratic process.  These people spend 99% of their time telling us how stupid the guy is, but when it's useful they turn him into a Lex-Luther super genius madman.  

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:27 PM
posted by Trueblue23

My 2 cents - it was him riffing and meaning "yeah things are gonna be so great you won't care to vote, it won't be important"

But of course, when needed, Trump is "lulzliterallyHitler" so it means he's going to remove the entire Democratic process.  These people spend 99% of their time telling us how stupid the guy is, but when it's useful they turn him into a Lex-Luther super genius madman.  

Similar to your earlier point about what would it look like if Trump said, "I don't want my kids growing up in a racial jungle" what would your honest reaction be if Biden or Harris said, "Vote for me and I'll fix it so you never have to vote again."?

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:30 PM
posted by jmog

I took it as Trump’s hyperbolic “I’m going to fix the country so good that people will vote R forever so you won’t have to come out in mass again”

Just him being the narcissist he is that he will make the country a utopia so Rs will win forever going forward.

That's the sense I got from it, too. 

Trump imo isn't a good speaker at all. He wanders and meanders off topic way too much. For me, it's a trial to sit through his speeches or rallys or whatever.

My high bar standard for presidential speeches are people like Reagan and Bill Clinton (qualifier is in my lifetime). There isn't anybody else that can touch them. Where they stand politically has nothing to do with it. They had/have that X factor.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:30 PM

Kamala was on Rupaul’s drag show 

Exciting times

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:34 PM
posted by Ironman92

Kamala was on Rupaul’s drag show 

Exciting times

Yeah, the Dems have deemed the TQ++ community to be super important for a while now. It funny to watch them chase after them, too!

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 12:46 PM
posted by Trueblue23

This 100%, its about as dumb as those on the R who said Biden rigged the last election. That guy doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground at this point and he is mastermind behind election fraud?

If anything like that remotely happened last election it could have been the DNC (and I'm not saying there was) but Biden had no clue.

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 1:13 PM
posted by jmog

This 100%, its about as dumb as those on the R who said Biden rigged the last election. That guy doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground at this point and he is mastermind behind election fraud?

If anything like that remotely happened last election it could have been the DNC (and I'm not saying there was) but Biden had no clue.

Well, the Dems definitely rig their primaries. There was that court case where the DNC won their case, saying they had the right to fix their primaries. I can't remember every particular though. I will go look that up.

Edit to add:

Yes, it was in 2016. Debbie Wasserman Schultz was found to have a bias for Hillary Clinton and the court found that the DNC was allowed to violate its charters to block Bernie's win so that they could put Hillary as the nominee, instead.

https://observer.com/2017/08/court-admits-dnc-and-debbie-wasserman-schulz-rigged-primaries-against-sanders/amp/#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17222732252595&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Trueblue23 BASEDgod
7,504 posts 17 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 1:42 PM

Similar to your earlier point about what would it look like if Trump said, "I don't want my kids growing up in a racial jungle" what would your honest reaction be if Biden or Harris said, "Vote for me and I'll fix it so you never have to vote again."?

I would say they're being hyperbolic, like politicians are 99% of the time.  To think Trump, Biden or Harris would have meant "the literal end of Democracy" because of that statement is hilarious... and the fact that people are going that way with this is a true testament to how so many suffer from "orange man bad" syndrome.  

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 2:54 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

That's the sense I got from it, too. 

Trump imo isn't a good speaker at all. He wanders and meanders off topic way too much. For me, it's a trial to sit through his speeches or rallys or whatever.

My high bar standard for presidential speeches are people like Reagan and Bill Clinton (qualifier is in my lifetime). There isn't anybody else that can touch them. Where they stand politically has nothing to do with it. They had/have that X factor.

Yeah, the only real benefit to listening to the average Trump speech is that it is entertaining to try to guess what he was going for when he said whatever it was that he said.

I think my favorite is how he's brought up Hannibal Lector multiple times in rallies. And the best guess I've read as to just why he's talking about a cannibalistic fictional character is that, due to one of the big issues being people from other countries seeking ASYLUM here, he completely mixed up the asylum in "seeking asylum" with the asylum in "insane asylum" and was using Lector to make a point about asylum-seekers. And, well, you're sure as hell not going to get him to admit he botched up the meaning of a word, so he then just doubled down on Lector.

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 3:29 PM
posted by Trueblue23

I would say they're being hyperbolic, like politicians are 99% of the time.  To think Trump, Biden or Harris would have meant "the literal end of Democracy" because of that statement is hilarious... and the fact that people are going that way with this is a true testament to how so many suffer from "orange man bad" syndrome.  

What I can’t understand for the life of me is how the equivalent of the right’s version of that cannot see the exact same qualities in themselves.  Some people on here would shit the bed if Biden spoke like this. 

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 3:33 PM
posted by jmog

I get that Reagan and Clinton were good speakers in a traditional sense, but I think Trump is every bit as effective.  The meandering he does is done on purpose and it is huge part of what endears him to his followers.  It’s how a Park Avenue real estate developer builds a report with the Everyman in his audience.  

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 3:49 PM

It's not rocket science if you aren't predisposed to reading "end of times" into everything Trump says (or doesn't say - there's no limit to the depths of TDS).

Trump his whole life has used gross hyperbolic exaggeration.  Everything he does is "the greatest ever...the likes of which have never been seen".  So in that context, as someone else already mentioned, he's going to fix things so great they'll never have to vote again because everything will already be so perfect.

Trump also likes to make statements like this to bait the left because he knows how they'll react, and his supporters respond positively to the attacks on him.

I'm just hoping for a divided congress so my taxes won't go up (which BOTH parties will raise my taxes signficantly if they control all 3 branches).  But if I really had to choose, the party that has openly talked about and proposed ways to stack the SCOTUS, grant statehood to DC and Puerto Rico, eliminate the electoral college, eliminate the fillibuster....and when you understand how that is all designed to secure a lasting majority and completely neuter any say from the minority party it should be clear who the real threat to Democracy is.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 3:51 PM

It’s how a Park Avenue real estate developer builds a report with the Everyman in his audience.  

I've heard he even pulls out his own bottle of Heinz catch-up when he campaigns in Pittsburgh!  Never goes anywhere without it!
Mon, Jul 29, 2024 4:43 PM

I get that Reagan and Clinton were good speakers in a traditional sense, but I think Trump is every bit as effective.  The meandering he does is done on purpose and it is huge part of what endears him to his followers.  It’s how a Park Avenue real estate developer builds a report with the Everyman in his audience.  

Oh I have a completely different take on why his voters/supporters cheer him on and it's really simple imo. 

It's because he talks to the working class like they matter. I think the majority don't believe that anything will get done for their benefit (although some obviously do), but for them it's enough that he speaks directly to them. 

In contrast the Dems call them MAGATS, a threat to democracy, all the ists and all the phobes, they tell them to stay in their lane. Literally. 

This doesn't take a great mind or hyper intelligence to figure out.

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 4:49 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Oh I have a completely different take on why his voters/supporters cheer him on and it's really simple imo. 

It's because he talks to the working class like they matter. I think the majority don't believe that anything will get done for their benefit (although some obviously do), but for them it's enough that he speaks directly to them. 

In contrast the Dems call them MAGATS, a threat to democracy, all the ists and all the phobes, they tell them to stay in their lane. Literally. 

This doesn't take a great mind or hyper intelligence to figure out.

I agree with what you say here.  He knows how to connect with his audience.  That alone makes him a great speaker, if not in the traditional sense.  

Not sure why a great mind or hyper intelligence factors into it.

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 5:53 PM

I agree with what you say here.  He knows how to connect with his audience.  That alone makes him a great speaker, if not in the traditional sense.  

Not sure why a great mind or hyper intelligence factors into it.

For me, being a great speaker you have some natural or learned ability to measure your cadence, voice modulation, build up to a point, not repetitive in quick succession. Trump has none of those qualities. 

In this regard I kinda put him in the same category as RFKjr - I don't care if either are elected or not, as long as I don't have to listen to them talk.

Mon, Jul 29, 2024 7:49 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

For me, being a great speaker you have some natural or learned ability to measure your cadence, voice modulation, build up to a point, not repetitive in quick succession. Trump has none of those qualities. 

In this regard I kinda put him in the same category as RFKjr - I don't care if either are elected or not, as long as I don't have to listen to them talk.

That’s why I say he’s not good in the traditional sense.  But he knows his audience and has a top notch radar for measuring its reaction in real time.  His “meandering” (to me) is purposefully done because he is catering to what he perceives the audience wants at exactly that moment.  That is what makes him an effective speaker.  If you already love him, which everyone in his audience does, he essentially is having an off-the-cuff conversation with you.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login