2024 Presidential Election Thread

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 7:55 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I figured you didn't want to really know.

So, I did the hard work for you. I listened to this fuckin thing to understand what was going on.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?537386-1/president-trump-speaks-turning-point-believers-summit

So it turns out that Trump referenced that a lot of Christians don't vote but he really needed them to vote this year more than any other. Then, going back to what he said about them not voting he said vote this time and they won't have to bother with it anymore. 

I guess this is where the Dems will grab their own pussies so that they can perform their favorite hysterics. Kind of like how they purposely misconstrued Trump's "bloodbath" comment.

I asked here what it meant assuming someone would know.  I appreciate your doing hard work in my behalf.

If you are able to read all of these inferences out of what he said, that’s pretty remarkable.  

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 8:27 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Student loan forgiveness.

Fuck all of it. Hell no, fuck off.

Most of the people who want it are the ones who went 150-200k in debt and now want their car mechanics and manicurists to pay for it. They are the same people who probably still couldn't tell the difference between paying off the principal and paying off the interest. 

No.

U literally just made up random numbers based upon your bias 

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 8:30 AM
posted by iclfan2

That’s the issue, I’m for (or at least fine with) programs for teachers and other careers that have a lower income but a public need. But who gets to pick those careers? I’m not for blanket forgiveness for random people or people who chose these giant loans knowing what they were getting into. I also find it hard to believe you could teach for 20 years and not be able to pay off your loans. Either they went to a way too expensive school for an education degree, or chose not to pay them off. Nurses make pretty good money, btw. 

I’d also be more for some sort of interest rate cap, but I don’t know how you do that unless the government owns all the loans, and they’ve been proven to be horrible at that. I agree there is an issue, but I disagree with the forgiveness model. People need to learn about compounding interest too. 

I saw this make its rounds on Twitter earlier this year, which is the type of blanket forgiveness I disagree with. Guy making $80-$90k working for the government getting his loans forgiven. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13551089/democrat-staffer-taxpayer-salary-roasted-biden-wiping-student-debt.html

20 years ago starting teacher salary was 28,000$ for reference so most of these people have made minimum payments for 20 years. We give more to 10x more to Israel and other countries every year so I’m fine helping hard working Americans for a change instead of coporate welfare or tax cuts for billionaires. This program was a very small amount of money in comparison. Hell 6 billion dollars couldn’t buy an nfl team. You should direct your attention to where your tax money is actually going 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 8:44 AM
posted by geeblock

They all said it was re affirmed many times and it was a precedent that was reaffirmed for 50 years and left it at that. 

Yes, so they never said that they “weren’t going after R v W” right? 

Just want to make sure we now understand the same reality of what they actually said. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 8:45 AM
posted by geeblock

I’m for anything that helps working class people 

Well that’s a little disingenuous, it would help working class people to just give them all $1million each, you can’t be that far left to be for that right? There has to be some common sense reality to what you are for or against. 

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 8:50 AM
posted by jmog

Yes, so they never said that they “weren’t going after R v W” right? 

Just want to make sure we now understand the same reality of what they actually said. 

If they had hinted they had any intention of overturning it they would not have been affirmed correct? If anything their answer while not giving an opinion certainly led people to believe they would not. At least that is my opinion on how most people took their responses. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 9:05 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I asked here what it meant assuming someone would know.  I appreciate your doing hard work in my behalf.

If you are able to read all of these inferences out of what he said, that’s pretty remarkable.  

The whole speech had the goal of telling that audience that he needed them to vote. If you want to make shitard remarks, that's fine, I will play along (I enjoy that). But at least be somewhat knowledgeable about the topic lol

Sun, Jul 28, 2024 9:13 AM
posted by geeblock

U literally just made up random numbers based upon your bias 

I have seen earthworms that had more intelligence than you.

Two easily Google searches on cost of tuition per year. Those are the types of students that are the majority of what I said - they now want other people to pay off their loans for them. 

This is why I said a long time ago that I highly doubt that you are an educator of any sort. Because you have no general understanding of what you read. Dude, you suck at all of this. All of it.

Sun, Jul 28, 2024 9:17 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

The whole speech had the goal of telling that audience that he needed them to vote. If you want to make shitard remarks, that's fine, I will play along (I enjoy that). But at least be somewhat knowledgeable about the topic lol

I’m asking if anyone has an opinion as to what he meant with some very cryptic comments.  You gave your opinion of what he meant.  Fine.  I think it’s a stretch to come to your conclusion.  I have no idea what he meant.  My opinion is that he makes comments like this all the time - hard to interpret - on purpose.  

I’m not sure if that’s shittard, as I don’t know what that means.  But there you have it.

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 9:54 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I have seen earthworms that had more intelligence than you.

Two easily Google searches on cost of tuition per year. Those are the types of students that are the majority of what I said - they now want other people to pay off their loans for them. 

This is why I said a long time ago that I highly doubt that you are an educator of any sort. Because you have no general understanding of what you read. Dude, you suck at all of this. All of it.

First of all 20 years ago those weren’t the prices. Secondly just because that’s what tuition is doesn’t mean people don’t have scholarships etc.. again you are just making up random numbers 

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 9:55 AM
posted by geeblock

First of all 20 years ago those weren’t the prices. Secondly just because that’s what tuition is doesn’t mean people don’t have scholarships etc.. again you are just making up random numbers 

Bidens plan had specific criteria they didn’t just wipe out all student loans. You know that right?

1. If you were in good standing and had been paying for 20 or 25 years. 

2.Public Service Workers that worked a certain amount of time not sure from memory

3. People who went to scam colleges like trump’s and had cases settled in court 

4. Permanently disabled people. 

Could be something I’m missing but from memory this is how I remember it 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 10:16 AM
posted by geeblock

Bidens plan had specific criteria they didn’t just wipe out all student loans. You know that right?

You do understand that the amount of loans "wiped out" is zero, correct?

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 10:19 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

You do understand that the amount of loans "wiped out" is zero, correct?

Yes 

Sun, Jul 28, 2024 10:22 AM
posted by geeblock

Yes 

Could you make me understand why I should be on the hook for those loans as opposed to those who signed up for them?

Sun, Jul 28, 2024 10:35 AM

Could you make me understand why I should be on the hook for those loans as opposed to those who signed up for them?

From an individual perspective, your question is fair.  From a macroeconomic perspective, loan forgiveness means more capital in the consumer’s hands to be spread more broadly across the economy as opposed to it be concentrated with loan providers that have less common interests with the average citizen.

In defense (kind of) the exorbitant loan debt which exists today, we’ve had two generations of kids and parents pumped full of the message that a college education was the only respectable path forward.  Many students had no business going to college because their interests and passions weren’t to be found in the curriculum.  But they attended anyhow since college was perceived as the natural culmination of a worthwhile education.  

My opinion is that many of this type found their way to fields of study that are worthless in the job market.  High schools and society pushed them there and colleges found ways to pique their interest in order to keep them there.  So they graduate and can tell society “I fulfilled your mission of going to college.  Now I’ve got an art history degree to show for it.”

Personal responsibility is still part of it. But society’s message has been one-way in this area for 40 years.  That is very powerful.

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 10:43 AM

It doesn’t sound like I would be successful in doing that but to say that 7.4 billion dollars is barely enough to buy an NFL team. We have given Israel 310 billion dollars. We also give billions to plenary of other countries. Your opinion is valid because it’s not something you benefited from or you also could have already paid your student loans. This is what started the conversation as I don’t have children and thus miss out on thousands in tax credits every year. Why should I pay more taxes because someone else made a choice to have kids? 

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 11:29 AM

I’m asking if anyone has an opinion as to what he meant with some very cryptic comments.  You gave your opinion of what he meant.  Fine.  I think it’s a stretch to come to your conclusion.  I have no idea what he meant.  My opinion is that he makes comments like this all the time - hard to interpret - on purpose.  

I’m not sure if that’s shittard, as I don’t know what that means.  But there you have it.

I took it as that after this year he could care less if the GOP wins another election he just wants to win this year because he’s selfish and only cares about himself. I didn’t think roe would get overturned and it did but I’m going to double down that no way he could extend his term if he was elected but like I said I have been wrong 

Sun, Jul 28, 2024 11:31 AM
posted by geeblock

It doesn’t sound like I would be successful in doing that but to say that 7.4 billion dollars is barely enough to buy an NFL team. We have given Israel 310 billion dollars. We also give billions to plenary of other countries. Your opinion is valid because it’s not something you benefited from or you also could have already paid your student loans. This is what started the conversation as I don’t have children and thus miss out on thousands in tax credits every year. Why should I pay more taxes because someone else made a choice to have kids? 

That the government dumps less money into one shithole than any number of other shitholes is not a particularly compelling argument.

As far as why you should have to pay more taxes than someone with kids, you should not have to.

geeblock Member
Sun, Jul 28, 2024 12:04 PM

That the government dumps less money into one shithole than any number of other shitholes is not a particularly compelling argument.

As far as why you should have to pay more taxes than someone with kids, you should not have to.

I can’t argue with that. However that money that was forgiven will end up being spent in this country and those people will likely buy cars, tvs, a house, get home improvements, who knows. Those people in those industries then will also benefit and they will buy cars, tvs, etc. So that is why I still think it’s better for the economy than a tax break for a billionaire imo. 

Sun, Jul 28, 2024 1:36 PM

So you don't want to watch the speech, want others to tell you the meaning of the phrase, and then when they take the time to watch it and tell you what he was talking about you then say that the conclusion is a stretch?

Yeah, that's shitard.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login