2024 Presidential Election Thread

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 3:41 PM
posted by Trueblue23

None of them did, they simply refused to speculate on precedence or  possible future cases.... a practice that was widely accepted when started by Ruth Bader-Ginsburg.

Thats what I heard in the parts I saw, but I was willing to be wrong/have missed something. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 5:03 PM
posted by jmog

You do realize that what he said is literally already the tax law right?

You get to claim your children and get child tax credits. So 2 people making $100k and one of them has 3 kids while the other has none….the one without any already pays a higher effective tax rate. 

You may not like what he said but what he said is literally already tax law.

Yes I don’t like it and I don’t like the way he presents it as how cool it is and also Charlie Kirk sucks so all of that 

geeblock Member
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 5:05 PM
posted by jmog

I am genuinely curious, because I saw some of their confirmation hearings but not all of them.

Who said they weren’t going after Roe v Wade during their confirmation hearings and what words were said?

The words I believe were I have no plans to overturn roe va wade from memory. When I said “go after” probly not best words. That  wasn’t said 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 6:03 PM

Not to mention families with no kids also got less stimulus but I’ll gladly stay a DINK

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 6:19 PM

What’s Trump mean when he tells”Christians, my beautiful Christians go vote.  In four years it will be fixed so you don’t have to.”

What’s that mean?

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 52 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 6:45 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What’s Trump mean when he tells”Christians, my beautiful Christians go vote.  In four years it will be fixed so you don’t have to.”

What’s that mean?

I don't know, did he have a rally today?

Go watch a vid and get back to us with your summary.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 7:04 PM
posted by geeblock

The words I believe were I have no plans to overturn roe va wade from memory. When I said “go after” probly not best words. That  wasn’t said 

I don’t believe even what you just said was said. As someone said above all the way back to Ruth Ginsberg nominees have avoided tough case questions from the other side of the aisle by saying “it’s not appropriate to comment about possible future cases” or something along those lines.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 7:11 PM
posted by geeblock

Yes I don’t like it and I don’t like the way he presents it as how cool it is and also Charlie Kirk sucks so all of that 

You have mentioned student loan forgiveness.  Do you like it?  The way its presented?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 7:46 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I don't know, did he have a rally today?

Go watch a vid and get back to us with your summary.

Negative

geeblock Member
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 8:02 PM
posted by jmog

I don’t believe even what you just said was said. As someone said above all the way back to Ruth Ginsberg nominees have avoided tough case questions from the other side of the aisle by saying “it’s not appropriate to comment about possible future cases” or something along those lines.

They all said it was re affirmed many times and it was a precedent that was reaffirmed for 50 years and left it at that. 

geeblock Member
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 8:03 PM
posted by majorspark

You have mentioned student loan forgiveness.  Do you like it?  The way its presented?

I’m for anything that helps working class people 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 8:14 PM
posted by geeblock

I’m for anything that helps working class people 

The working class went to college for worthless degrees? Isn’t the loose definition of working class that they didn’t go to college?

geeblock Member
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 8:22 PM
posted by iclfan2

The working class went to college for worthless degrees? 

Teachers? Nurses? Social workers? Yes  working class people. Why do you equate loan forgiveness automatically with a “worthless” degree? You need to stop watching Fox News 

Sat, Jul 27, 2024 8:31 PM
posted by geeblock

Teachers? Nurses? Social workers? Yes  working class people. Why do you equate loan forgiveness automatically with a “worthless” degree? You need to stop watching Fox News 

I updated my point before you responded, that the working class means you didn’t get a degree. And the way loan forgiveness has been given out, it doesn’t mean any of what you posted. Plans that will eventually wipe out your debt for careers you choose after x length of service isn’t “loan forgiveness” (though the left tries to group it in). The world needs all sorts of jobs. If you took out a loan for yours, you should repay it (unless of a program that told you it would be wiped out eventually). What’s that have to do with Fox News? 

geeblock Member
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 8:51 PM
posted by iclfan2

I updated my point before you responded, that the working class means you didn’t get a degree. And the way loan forgiveness has been given out, it doesn’t mean any of what you posted. Plans that will eventually wipe out your debt for careers you choose after x length of service isn’t “loan forgiveness” (though the left tries to group it in). The world needs all sorts of jobs. If you took out a loan for yours, you should repay it (unless of a program that told you it would be wiped out eventually). What’s that have to do with Fox News? 

I know a lot of teachers that were in repayment on their loans  and were paying for 20 years who just had their loans forgiven. So no I’m not talking about public worker loan forgiveness. For me working class doesn’t mean you don’t have a college degree but I guess you work for Webster. Am I allowed to say middle class? I’m for anything that helps middle class people 

Sat, Jul 27, 2024 9:04 PM
posted by geeblock

I know a lot of teachers that were in repayment on their loans  and were paying for 20 years who just had their loans forgiven. So no I’m not talking about public worker loan forgiveness. For me working class doesn’t mean you don’t have a college degree but I guess you work for Webster. Am I allowed to say middle class? I’m for anything that helps middle class people 

That’s the issue, I’m for (or at least fine with) programs for teachers and other careers that have a lower income but a public need. But who gets to pick those careers? I’m not for blanket forgiveness for random people or people who chose these giant loans knowing what they were getting into. I also find it hard to believe you could teach for 20 years and not be able to pay off your loans. Either they went to a way too expensive school for an education degree, or chose not to pay them off. Nurses make pretty good money, btw. 

I’d also be more for some sort of interest rate cap, but I don’t know how you do that unless the government owns all the loans, and they’ve been proven to be horrible at that. I agree there is an issue, but I disagree with the forgiveness model. People need to learn about compounding interest too. 

I saw this make its rounds on Twitter earlier this year, which is the type of blanket forgiveness I disagree with. Guy making $80-$90k working for the government getting his loans forgiven. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13551089/democrat-staffer-taxpayer-salary-roasted-biden-wiping-student-debt.html

geeblock Member
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 9:05 PM

After 20 years most of these people have paid as much as they have borrowed so we are clear. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 27, 2024 9:15 PM

With about 6-7 years left for my teaching ….I’d like a significant amount of money to go to poorer schools so I can get about a 20% raise to bump up my retirement.

It won’t help schools be any better but money is blown everywhere else

Sat, Jul 27, 2024 9:59 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Negative

I figured you didn't want to really know.

So, I did the hard work for you. I listened to this fuckin thing to understand what was going on.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?537386-1/president-trump-speaks-turning-point-believers-summit

So it turns out that Trump referenced that a lot of Christians don't vote but he really needed them to vote this year more than any other. Then, going back to what he said about them not voting he said vote this time and they won't have to bother with it anymore. 

I guess this is where the Dems will grab their own pussies so that they can perform their favorite hysterics. Kind of like how they purposely misconstrued Trump's "bloodbath" comment.

Sat, Jul 27, 2024 10:04 PM

Student loan forgiveness.

Fuck all of it. Hell no, fuck off.

Most of the people who want it are the ones who went 150-200k in debt and now want their car mechanics and manicurists to pay for it. They are the same people who probably still couldn't tell the difference between paying off the principal and paying off the interest. 

No.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login