2024 Presidential Election Thread

Trueblue23 BASEDgod
7,504 posts 17 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 2:16 PM

Biden didn't endorse Kamala in his letter, but just did so in a follow up tweet.  Looks like we're heading toward Trump vs Harris. 

Trueblue23 BASEDgod
7,504 posts 17 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 2:29 PM

"GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!! KAMALA HARRIS IS CASHING IN HER MONEY IN THE BANK BRIEFCASE, PRESIDENT BIDEN IS STUNNED"

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 2:55 PM
posted by Trueblue23

"GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!! KAMALA HARRIS IS CASHING IN HER MONEY IN THE BANK BRIEFCASE, PRESIDENT BIDEN IS STUNNED"

I don’t know what this means

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:36 PM
posted by iclfan2

It was absurdly long. It started off strongish, then he went off promoter for at least 30 minutes doing the same bullshit he always does. A rally is one thing, but doing it on a national stage when you’re desperate for votes was odd (not that it was gonna change anyone’s mind). 

Ha Hulk Hogan was also an interesting choice. 

First 20 minutes were great for Trump. After that, it was long and very boring. 

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:38 PM
posted by gut

I don't know much about Vance, does seem like his views/policies are a little too bible-conservative for me.

But he's articulate and charismatic.  First VP in a long time that makes me think he could be POTUS.  If you don't like Trump's policies, you have to admit you HATE his choosing Vance because it could be 12+ years...

I just remember people saying Desantis was a bigger threat than Trump because he's actually smart.  Well, guess what - Vance is everything Desantis is but with 10X the charisma.

Don't you live in Ohio? If you do, how do you not know much about him? 

I used to really like Vance, but then he went crazy in 2017 and then really in 2022. 

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:41 PM
posted by jmog

Did Trump put away the Dems new “boogeyman” Project 2025 away today?

No one in media or the left even mentioned P2025 until the debate debacle, they needed something to distract people. 

He basically called it far right winger creation in his speech along the same lines as the far left wingers he said. 

Really? It has been talked about for months, you just weren't paying attention. Hell, I even mentioned it months ago.

This story is from November 2023....

Trump and allies plot revenge, Justice Department control in a second term

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/05/trump-revenge-second-term/

For many of the folks on here that do not like Presidential power, they should not be in favor of what project 2025 is outlining. 

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:44 PM

Biden had to drop out. He was being very Trump like in being stubborn about not dropping out. 

Now, Trump is the old guy, the oldest person to ever run for office.

Be interesting to see who Harris picks for VP. Governors of PA, MI, and Senator from AZ are early names I saw. 

I do think it is game on now in this race as before Trump was going to beat Biden in a landslide. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 124 reps Joined Feb 2010
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:52 PM
posted by Ironman92

I don’t know what this neans

Pro wrestling reference

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:53 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

LOL, already parroting the new talking point.

Biden was, and still is, the oldest person to ever run for office. He didn't just run, he won the primary.  Dropping out doesn't change any of that.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 6:58 PM

Don't you live in Ohio? If you do, how do you not know much about him? 

I used to really like Vance, but then he went crazy in 2017 and then really in 2022. 

There’s like 11 million people, hard to know everyone well

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 7:02 PM
posted by gut

LOL, already parroting the new talking point.

Biden was, and still is, the oldest person to ever run for office. He didn't just run, he won the primary.  Dropping out doesn't change any of that.

Hey, just a fact lol. Trump is old too. It was also said a little tongue and cheek. 

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 7:05 PM
posted by Ironman92

There’s like 11 million people, hard to know everyone well

Vance did run for Senate here in Ohio in 2022. He should be well known to people here in Ohio

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 7:45 PM

Biden had to drop out. He was being very Trump like in being stubborn about not dropping out. 

Be interesting to see who Harris picks for VP. Governors of PA, MI, and Senator from AZ are early names I saw. 

I do think it is game on now in this race as before Trump was going to beat Biden in a landslide. 

It was quite the coup though, no? His aides said they didn’t even learn about it until they saw it on Twitter. Ha does he even know he supposedly is supporting Kamala? The early debate was an awful decision by him, or a great decision by everyone else knowing he would flounder. I think Kamala can definitely win, but she’s awful. 

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 7:58 PM
posted by iclfan2

It was quite the coup though, no? His aides said they didn’t even learn about it until they saw it on Twitter. Ha does he even know he supposedly is supporting Kamala? The early debate was an awful decision by him, or a great decision by everyone else knowing he would flounder. I think Kamala can definitely win, but she’s awful. 

Coup?

Those are harsh words. The Convention is still weeks away, so she still has to go through the formal process. A coup would be if this was after the convention. 

Seems like Biden was just stubborn. He was refusing to accept his polling was terrible and his debate performance was horrible. Seems to me like an old man that just finally accepted the reality of the situation. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 8:08 PM

Coup?

Those are harsh words. The Convention is still weeks away, so she still has to go through the formal process. A coup would be if this was after the convention. 

Seems like Biden was just stubborn. He was refusing to accept his polling was terrible and his debate performance was horrible. Seems to me like an old man that just finally accepted the reality of the situation. 

Yes an exaggeration, but they all started leaking to the press that he had to drop out. They basically made the decision for him. 

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 8:10 PM
posted by iclfan2

Yes an exaggeration, but they all started leaking to the press that he had to drop out. They basically made the decision for him. 

Leaking? No, directly calling for him to drop out. In the end, everyone realized but Biden. He finally came to his senses.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 8:10 PM

Vance did run for Senate here in Ohio in 2022. He should be well known to people here in Ohio

I’ll wager less than 25% of registered voters in Ohio know much of anything about senate and house representatives in Ohio

gut Senior Member
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 8:19 PM

Don't you live in Ohio?

Not for over 20 years.  I know who Vance is, just don't know much about his policies.  But "economic nationalism" or whatever you want to call it is basically the failed 2000-ish Democratic platform of "fair" trade.

It's been surreal watching the party that has been hardline free markets for decades suddenly fall in line behind Trump's trade wars.  It just confirms that the majority of voters have no clue and simply vote for the home team.  Inflation has been like the #1 concern, and there's absolutely no comprehension for how Trump's economic policies are likely to reignite inflation.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Jul 21, 2024 8:26 PM
posted by Ironman92

I’ll wager less than 25% of registered voters in Ohio know much of anything about senate and house representatives in Ohio

Vance is clearly also a sociopath, like many politicians.  It's especially repugnant when someone pretends to be humble and moral but does a complete 180 on Trump when it becomes politically expedient.

Also not a ton of respect for someone that runs for Senate and then leaves after just 2 years for higher office.  When you see someone rising that fast, and clearly orchestrated, they are not in it to serve the people but in it for themselves.

Sun, Jul 21, 2024 8:28 PM
posted by gut

Not for over 20 years.  I know who Vance is, just don't know much about his policies.  But "economic nationalism" or whatever you want to call it is basically the failed 2000-ish Democratic platform of "fair" trade.

It's been surreal watching the party that has been hardline free markets for decades suddenly fall in line behind Trump's trade wars.  It just confirms that the majority of voters have no clue and simply vote for the home team.  Inflation has been like the #1 concern, and there's absolutely no comprehension for how Trump's economic policies are likely to reignite inflation.

Ah yeah ok. Yeah, it is shocking to see how he turned from the guy from 2016-2017 to today. His views are almost completely different. I was all in on him in 2017, loving his mission to help Ohioians. But, that all went away in 2022 as he went full Trump. The senate campaign in 2022 was full on Trump light. 

You are right about the modern Republican party. Crazy how the days of free and fair trade are gone. Protectionism and the language of Buchanan reign supreme. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login