2024 Election thread

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 5, 2023 8:47 PM

I have to see more of RFK Jr. before I jump onboard.  He's a life-long liberal and environmentalist - I think he may be running an unorthodox campaign where he pretends to be moderate and then moves to the left.

We shall see.  I'm not sure that's an effective strategy to win the primary - Biden only won because he was viewed - correctly - as the only one who could beat Trump.  But if Dems are looking for someone else...well, maybe they think RFK Jr. is the guy to beat Trump and Biden can't.  But I'm not sure the left wing of that party will support another moderate.  They'll never vote Repub, but they aren't turning out for Biden, especially in the primaries.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 5, 2023 9:39 PM

Well, the DNC isn't going to hold a primary, are they? Unless they've since changed their mind. I don't know, but I doubt it. If that is the case, I don't see how RFK can win a primary, much less to go toe to toe with whoever the republican primary winner will be. He will need the DNC to have a good shot at it.

I'm not against environmentalism just for the sake of being against it. But there has to be a better way than putting people out of work and making everything exponentially more expensive, which is the present course of action for the dems. 

I'm not against the dems just for the sake of being against them. But so far, RFK is the only one coming from the dems that seems to be of sound mind, reasonable, is against abusing the power of the federal government (and all of it's included entities) to weaponize against the people. That alone is catching my interest in a big way. And since he came out today supporting 2A as an absolutist - I have to admit that he's courting me more and more.

I still have a hard time listening to him talk and wish that there was a way to help his voice. Ugh!

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jun 6, 2023 1:16 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen RFKJ call out the climate scam that promises they can fix the environment if we give government's more money and power. He has mentioned the importance of clean water and the like. 

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jun 7, 2023 12:17 PM

I continue to be amazed by how many people with absolutely no national profile enter the race with dreams they could actually be elected.

I assume most are using it to raise their profile - for a governor maybe it's a path to the Senate.  Maybe some have delusions of being VP.  But I think most are hoping for a book deal (though this seems much more likely if you run as a Dem espousing some crazy far left shit).

Just saying, most Americans probably don't even know North Dakota is a state....

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 7, 2023 12:38 PM
posted by gut

Just saying, most Americans probably don't even know North Dakota is a state....

Isn't that in Canada?

Mon, Jun 12, 2023 7:58 AM

With the latest indictment, two of Trump's lawyers have quit his service lol

I can only speculate the reason(s) why, but I can easily imagine that he just keeps getting in his own way.

j_crazy 7 gram rocks. how i roll.
8,623 posts 30 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 12, 2023 10:58 AM
posted by gut

I continue to be amazed by how many people with absolutely no national profile enter the race with dreams they could actually be elected.

I assume most are using it to raise their profile - for a governor maybe it's a path to the Senate.  Maybe some have delusions of being VP.  But I think most are hoping for a book deal (though this seems much more likely if you run as a Dem espousing some crazy far left shit).

I'll go one step further, Doug Bergum's only real public battle was him fighting to allow Bill Gates to buy huge swaths of farmland in ND. he's a dead dog, no hunt here. It's meatball Ron or crooked Donald for the Repubs, the Dems might actually have a viable option if they ever get off Biden's limp noodle.

j_crazy 7 gram rocks. how i roll.
8,623 posts 30 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 12, 2023 11:00 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I can only speculate the reason(s) why, but I can easily imagine that he just keeps getting in his own way.

i think it's because there are things in that indictment where trump was actively trying to undermine their ability to do their jobs and likely they didn't realize it was happening at the time. no point in sticking your neck out helping someone who has no interenst in being forthwright with you.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 12, 2023 11:48 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

That's what I'd assume. I'd guess that if you're a lawyer and actually serious about being one (as opposed to the horde of clowns Trump used in his "tHe eLeCtIoN wUz sToLeN!!1!" cases), you're probably not overly pleased with a client whose reaction to any allegation is to immediately run to social media or a hot mic to loudly proclaim "witch hunt" and try to fire up the base. I'm pretty sure top lawyers prefer it if they're the ones doing the talking and the client sticks to saying what they're told to say and Trump never has come off as a guy who's content to stick to a script while sitting back and letting others make the comments.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jun 12, 2023 12:47 PM

I know one of his lawyers, who might have been charged, attested that all documents had been turned over.  Which was probably what Trump had assured him, and turned out not to be true.

So, yeah, if you don't want Trump's lies to potentially compromise your career, you run.

Trump is also toxic to your brand for over half the country.  Representing Trump could cost you some serious revenue losses, ESPECIALLY if you actually win.

Mon, Jun 12, 2023 6:09 PM

FOX news sending Tucker Carlson a cease and desist order is par for the course nowadays, isn't it?

Tue, Jul 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Just caught some blurbs of Vivek Ramaswamy on The Breakfast Club. The best one is when the BC tried to do the usual thing of "America isn't all that great" and all kinds of other grievances and I thought he had a really good answer. He basically said that the pursuit of happiness and ideals is what makes the US the best country on the planet, he also reminded them that because we are humans we are always going to fall short and that "originally and never" are two different things. The BC didn't quite know how to feel about that and their inability to form a coherent rebuttal against that phrase was plain as day. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 5, 2023 11:21 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Just caught some blurbs of Vivek Ramaswamy on The Breakfast Club. The best one is when the BC tried to do the usual thing of "America isn't all that great" and all kinds of other grievances and I thought he had a really good answer. He basically said that the pursuit of happiness and ideals is what makes the US the best country on the planet, he also reminded them that because we are humans we are always going to fall short and that "originally and never" are two different things. The BC didn't quite know how to feel about that and their inability to form a coherent rebuttal against that phrase was plain as day. 

I saw that, I am starting to like that guy from the few interviews I have seen.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 5, 2023 12:18 PM

He is pretty solid.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 5, 2023 12:26 PM

Random note: I played Ramaswamy in a local tennis qualifier in like 2001 or 2002. Let's just say that he was really, really good. 

...but no bagels!

Wed, Jul 5, 2023 6:19 PM

So, apparently some coke was found in the WH. I'm sure that over the course of its existence that TONS of things arrived within it's walls that weren't allowed. Not only drugs, but alcohol during prohibition and even drinks like absinthe (not the stuff that passes for absinthe now) when it was banned. 
I can't find it within myself to care.

But my question is why is that even allowed to come out? Is there something else that's happened that's bigger and/or worse?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 5, 2023 6:56 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

So, apparently some coke was found in the WH. I'm sure that over the course of its existence that TONS of things arrived within it's walls that weren't allowed. Not only drugs, but alcohol during prohibition and even drinks like absinthe (not the stuff that passes for absinthe now) when it was banned. 
I can't find it within myself to care.

But my question is why is that even allowed to come out? Is there something else that's happened that's bigger and/or worse?

They’re also pretending they can’t find who did it, as if cameras aren't there at all times. If this was trump the left would lose their shit. So funny. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 6, 2023 10:29 AM

Heck, what's a little bit of illegal drug abuse in the WH when bribery, extortion, money-laundering and tax evasion are fair game .......plus a little nudity and debauchery on the front lawn. 

Change we can believe in.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jul 24, 2023 2:27 PM

GOP may have a bit of a problem....Literally all the leading candidates - Pence, Trump, Ramaswamy, Desantis, Haley - each have 20% of Republican voters saying they would never vote for them.

Granted, that's probably the primaries.  Almost all of them WILL vote for whomever wins the nomination.  But a few percent might not, and that will usually cost you the election.

They have to hope the Dems run Biden again.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jul 24, 2023 2:31 PM

Also, what do people think of a possible 3rd ticket of Machin/RFK?

RFK has some interesting observations.  I don't believe he's some nutjob conspiracy theorist, but the way he presents his views similar to a lawyer that sees liability & fault everywhere (gee, I wonder why he does that).  While I could agree it may be irresponsible, mainly because of the sycophantic "gotchya" press, RFK doesn't talk out of his ass.

Just citing a study doesn't make you right, and that study might not even be sound or repeatable.  But it's plainly obvious people are afraid to debate him directly because he's far more knowledgeable and informed.  That's why they just attack him as racist and try to censor him.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login