2020 Presidential Election thread

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 1:37 PM
posted by Automatik

Which means more votes, which means could be bad for Donald, which means....RIGGED. Par for the course. 

Pretty much, it enables lazy people (or whatever reason) who otherwise wouldn't vote to vote. I requested an absentee ballot as well, bc who wants to go wait in line when there is a much easier option. For absentee, at least you have to provide info to get a ballot, vs. universal where they mail it out to everyone registered. I prefer people having to make that extra step. 

Everything I've read points to fraud being very rare and immaterial.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 1:41 PM
posted by iclfan2

Pretty much, it enables lazy people (or whatever reason) who otherwise wouldn't vote to vote. I requested an absentee ballot as well, bc who wants to go wait in line when there is a much easier option. For absentee, at least you have to provide info to get a ballot, vs. universal where they mail it out to everyone registered. I prefer people having to make that extra step. 

Everything I've read points to fraud being very rare and immaterial.

Or people in those metro areas where voting machines aren't quite as common as in other places. Living in a rural area, I'm in and out in a matter of a few minutes when I vote so I have no problem with in-person voting personally; seems every election, though, you'll see pics of huge-ass lines because some city is so under-machined that in-person voting is a matter of if a person can afford to wait indefinitely.

But I agree with the overall point of making the extra step and the point that fraud is an overall rare, immaterial point. Just another one of those things for weak-willed bitches to complain about if an election doesn't go their way.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 1:43 PM

Last election was the first time I voted in NYC. It was surprisingly quick and easy. Went to a local high school 5 minutes away, right before work. I think the entire process including waiting was round 15 minutes. Also the first time I did it using a machine. Previously was all paper...lol hanging chads.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 2:21 PM

Yeah there’s a reason Trump is against it

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 2:35 PM
posted by Automatik

What a little bitch.

I just requested my absentee ballot. I won't be here on Nov 3. 

What is the difference between "universal mail-in voting" and absentee?

A huge difference.

Take care.

PS - we should all vote on the same day, in person.  That way, we all have the same information as of the same day that we all vote together.  Imagine having upwards of 30 million votes cast by October 30th, and then on November 1st, Biden is indicted for bribery and racketeering and money laundering.  We would have a real problem.  We should all vote on the same day, in person, with ID's = 100% election integrity and no way for anyone to allege fraud.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 2:56 PM
posted by Heretic

...in-person voting is a matter of if a person can afford to wait indefinitely.

Almost everywhere has numerous opportunities for early voting.

As for fraud, I'm not really worried about it but I don't think you can dismiss the potential for progressive operatives filling out ballots for homeless people throughout the country.  There's no evidence of vote by mail fraud in a couple of blue states isn't exactly proof it won't happen in key swing states.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 2:59 PM
posted by QuakerOats

A huge difference.

Take care.

PS - we should all vote on the same day, in person.  That way, we all have the same information as of the same day that we all vote together.  Imagine having upwards of 30 million votes cast by October 30th, and then on November 1st, Biden is indicted for bribery and racketeering and money laundering.  We would have a real problem.  We should all vote on the same day, in person, with ID's = 100% election integrity and no way for anyone to allege fraud.

If that is the case, then you are against absentee then? That is not in person. 

I also 100% predict if Trump loses this election, you are going to say it was rigged. 

I'm in agreement with a lot of people on here that I think if we are going use absentee, they should be requested by people and not just automatically sent to people. I also think this late in the year, I'm not sure states are ready and prepared for a flood of ballots that could take a while to count. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:09 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I'm in agreement with a lot of people on here that I think if we are going use absentee, they should be requested by people and not just automatically sent to people. I also think this late in the year, I'm not sure states are ready and prepared for a flood of ballots that could take a while to count. 

Seems like the best and most feasible solution would just be to expand early voting.
8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:09 PM
posted by gut
Seems like the best and most feasible solution would just be to expand early voting.

100% agree. Also, states should be able to start counting the absentee ballots ahead of election day and then once the polls close, then announce the numbers. 

Some states do not start counting absentee ballots until the polls close. That is what takes states like CA forever to have their results. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:16 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

100% agree. Also, states should be able to start counting the absentee ballots ahead of election day and then once the polls close, then announce the numbers. 

Some states do not start counting absentee ballots until the polls close. That is what takes states like CA forever to have their results. 

I'm surprised no one has suggested Trump operatives could invalidate results with a little fraud themselves.  I mean, they've given us every other Trump conspiracy imaginable but somehow no one has considered that Trump's team could also commit fraud by mail.

It's mind boggling what could happen when you consider potentially 80% turnout vs. the more normal 50%.  Think about all those polls based on "likely voters" and then all these "independent?" voters suddenly come into the mix.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 3:29 PM
posted by QuakerOats

A huge difference.

Take care.

Feel free to elaborate.

ts1227 Senior Member
12,351 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:07 PM

At least in Ohio, it’s arguably easier to defraud the system in person. Since the ID law allows for stuff as flimsy as a bank statement, utility bill as long as the address matches, all you need is one of those and forge the signature in the poll book (which at least in the past you signed right next to a printout of the signature on file, so you are staring directly at what you’re trying to mimic) and you’re golden. Mail voting knocks those allowable non ID forms down (you have to know your drivers license number or there’s 1-2 other option), plus you can’t see the signature you’re trying to forge.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:37 PM

So Obama gave the eulogy for Lewis and talked politics?? Absurd. A funeral should not be a political. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:38 PM
posted by iclfan2

So Obama gave the eulogy for Lewis and talked politics?? Absurd. A funeral should not be a political. 

Didn't Trump get ripped for doing something like that not long ago?

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:40 PM
posted by ts1227

...so you are staring directly at what you’re trying to mimic) and you’re golden.

Unless you're extremely skilled, I highly doubt you can forge a passable signature in a few seconds just glancing at the original.  But I also doubt poll workers pay any attention.
gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:41 PM

Again, the real question is how will Russia manipulate vote by mail to steal the election for Trump?

ts1227 Senior Member
12,351 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 7:59 PM
posted by gut
Unless you're extremely skilled, I highly doubt you can forge a passable signature in a few seconds just glancing at the original.  But I also doubt poll workers pay any attention.

At this point I can’t even mimic my own damn signature from when I was 18, let alone someone else’s. 

But my general point is still that it seems easier to vote illegally in person in Ohio.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 8:09 PM
posted by ts1227

At this point I can’t even mimic my own damn signature from when I was 18, let alone someone else’s.

No kidding.  I wonder how much the average signature varies for people who don't make a living signing autographs.  Although even the professionals, I think, have only several small snippets of their signature used for authentication.
Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 9:06 PM
posted by ts1227

But my general point is still that it seems easier to vote illegally in person in Ohio.

The last time I voted, I produced my fishing license for my ID. Hilarity ensued as the poll workers were unsure what to do. One old dude told me that I had to have a drivers license since he saw me drive in and I told him to go ahead and call the police because he would need them if he didn’t let me vote

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 30, 2020 10:26 PM

I can’t even come up with the same signature when I’m signing multiple pages in a row...like tax returns or loan statements etc.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login