2020 Presidential Election thread

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 2:11 PM
posted by Heretic

it'd be pure fucking chaos if either Trump or Biden had a 47-45 lead AND would have also got the Electoral, but because of this, wound up losing because the other guy was a more popular #2.

It may be possible, but I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario where this could actually happen.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 4:00 PM
posted by justincredible

Amash would win in my completely hypothetical situation, yes. My preferred candidate would not, but Amash would.

There are only like 11 states where Amash could hope to have a run-off situation.  There is 0 chance Amash could win the electoral college in your scenario.

Even if you eliminate the electoral college, you can bet the two parties are going to ensure against your scenario by doing rank choice by state rather than just nationally.

Thu, Apr 30, 2020 4:22 PM

I think a lot of people put Amash first, knowing they don't have to pick the least bad candidate for their vote to matter. 

It's too bad my completely hypothetical situation will never happen.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 4:37 PM
posted by justincredible

I think a lot of people put Amash first, knowing they don't have to pick the least bad candidate for their vote to matter. 

It's too bad my completely hypothetical situation will never happen.

Don't see it happening.  Like 80% of the country votes straight ticket - I feel like I've even seen that option a few places to expedite voting.

And most people can't name the VP on both tickets, so there's little chance Amash or any other Libertarian candidate has enough name recognition.  Plus, a lot of people would probably just vote their first choice and leave the other options blank once they realize picking a #2 and #3 can only hurt their candidate.  Because I know as a Libertarian you aren't going to suggest that people HAVE to select a second and third choice.

Thu, Apr 30, 2020 4:55 PM

I either believe this or I flirt with nihilism. You're not going to change my mind.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 5:47 PM
posted by gut

Plus, a lot of people would probably just vote their first choice and leave the other options blank once they realize picking a #2 and #3 can only hurt their candidate.  Because I know as a Libertarian you aren't going to suggest that people HAVE to select a second and third choice.

Eh, I think this depends on where people land when it comes to the desire for their candidate and the fear of the other main candidate.

With the rise of sentiments reflected in things like "Blue no matter who," it seems like the priority for many is to keep the other main party's candidate out of office as opposed to putting their own person into office.

Think back to the 2016 election.  How many times did the "Hillary is worse" argument get thrown around when the whole "grab 'em by the pussy" story first broke?

When faced with a self-indulgent, infantile narcissist and a potential sexual predator with seeming age-related cognitive issues, Amash doesn't seem so implausible, since giving him the second-place marker takes votes from both in equal measure.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, May 1, 2020 8:22 AM

Amash might not win 2020 in a hypothetical ranked voting system, but he would make it close.  That would be a victory in itself to show the nation a candidate outside of the trash DNC/GOP is capable of winning. 

I say we try it out and find out!

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 1, 2020 1:05 PM
posted by O-Trap

Eh, I think this depends on where people land when it comes to the desire for their candidate and the fear of the other main candidate.

With the rise of sentiments reflected in things like "Blue no matter who," it seems like the priority for many is to keep the other main party's candidate out of office as opposed to putting their own person into office.

Think back to the 2016 election.  How many times did the "Hillary is worse" argument get thrown around when the whole "grab 'em by the pussy" story first broke?

When faced with a self-indulgent, infantile narcissist and a potential sexual predator with seeming age-related cognitive issues, Amash doesn't seem so implausible, since giving him the second-place marker takes votes from both in equal measure.

I mean, compared to the two main choices we do have, I'd vote for a potted plant to win, so I'm open to anything! Regardless of whether I have any belief he'd have a credible chance.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 1, 2020 1:27 PM
posted by Heretic

I mean, compared to the two main choices we do have, I'd vote for a potted plant to win, so I'm open to anything! Regardless of whether I have any belief he'd have a credible chance.

I'd wager you're not alone.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sat, May 2, 2020 7:02 PM

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2020/05/02/roger-waters-joe-biden-a-fking-slime-ball-who-cant-defeat-trump/

I know......Breibart link......but man Roger Waters laid it on Biden.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, May 3, 2020 1:26 PM
posted by like_that

I have dropped this quote from my friend before, but let's real as far as the left is concerned (and you can extend this to the right) it's not so much the pussy grabbing, but who actually is doing the pussy grabbing. 

With that being said, anyone who has virtued about Donald being a pussy grabber will now be 100% full of shit if they vote for Biden.  Just like anyone who virtued about Bill was 100% full of shit when they voted for Donald (I plugged this in here, because boogie was going to come in with his whataboutism about evangelicals).

I agree with your sentiment. Don't forget though that as poorly as Kavanaugh got treated, he still got the job. 

Sun, May 3, 2020 3:44 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I agree with your sentiment. Don't forget though that as poorly as Kavanaugh got treated, he still got the job. 

Yeah, that makes it a lot better for Kavanaugh.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sun, May 3, 2020 4:12 PM

That's a good standard to set. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, May 3, 2020 8:48 PM
posted by like_that

Yeah, that makes it a lot better for Kavanaugh.

That wasn't my point. My point was for all the craziness this stuff causes, it often doesn't change the outcome. 

Mon, May 4, 2020 3:32 AM

That wasn't my point. My point was for all the craziness this stuff causes, it often doesn't change the outcome. 

I wasn't coming at this with the angle of how it will affect Biden.  I am pointing out the hypocrisy of how both are/were covered.  It's pretty clear one is not being covered or treated like the other.

I don't think it will affect the election, but it would be interesting to see how it would play out if the media treated Biden the same way as they did Kavanaugh.  As I already said, it's not about the pussy grabbing, but who does it.  The media won't cover it the same way though, so we will never know if it would have an impact.  This story is already getting buried and will be fully buried within a month (unless anything else comes out). 

Your example is an apples to oranges comparison though.  One guy had a GOP president appoint him with a majority GOP senate confirming him.  Kavanaugh could have gone sleeveless with a swastika tattoo at his hearing and it would not have mattered if the GOP were going to confirm him.  Biden doesn't have that same guarantee, considering he needs to win an election.  Negative media coverage has more of an impact on an election than a senate confirmation. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, May 4, 2020 12:26 PM

Journalists mock NY Times' call for 'unbiased' DNC panel to ...

www.foxnews.com › media › axios-reporter-mocks-ny-ti...

21 hours ago - The New York Times editorial board faced mockery from multiple ... assault allegation against former Vice President Joe Biden be investigated ...

What a complete disgrace that paper has become.  It’s as if it had been written on April Fools Day.

gut Senior Member
Mon, May 4, 2020 4:49 PM
posted by like_that

I am pointing out the hypocrisy of how both are/were covered. 

I'm still anxiously awaiting the calls for "if he's innocent, he'd WANT an FBI investigation in order to prove it!!!"

It was interesting, though, when asked if he'd allow a search of his records that Biden immediately went to [paraphrasing] "well there's too many other things in there that could be taken out of context and exploited by the Trump campaign".  Fair and valid point, but that's not the question he was asked.  So she repeated the question about a search specifically limited to Reade.  And he again deflected the question.  I think she may have even asked a third time.  It was funny to watch her frustration that he dodged her softball question turn to actual concern/realization that Biden might be burying Reade's proof.

But let's be fair - when Biden says he doesn't remember her he's probably being entirely honest.  I'm sure Biden was a player, and it wouldn't surprise me that there are other formal complaints against him that he's hoping aren't discovered.

Wed, May 6, 2020 1:11 PM

This Linda Hirshman woman wrote an opinion piece on how she fully believes Tara Reade but will vote for Joe Biden anyway.

This is the same Linda Hirshman who released this book last year: https://www.amazon.com/Reckoning-Battle-Against-Sexual-Harassment/dp/1328566447

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/opinion/tara-reade-joe-biden-vote.html?referringSource=articleShare

gut Senior Member
Wed, May 6, 2020 1:29 PM
posted by justincredible

This Linda Hirshman woman wrote an opinion piece on how she fully believes Tara Reade but will vote for Joe Biden anyway.

It will never happen, but this SHOULD be the end of identity politics.

Fine, vote for Biden because he's not Trump.  But you can't bludgeon people with identity politics when you nominated Joe Biden from a field of 20+ candidates.

gut Senior Member
Wed, May 6, 2020 1:31 PM

Also, just imagine if we have an online Presidential debate the technical issues created talking over each other, or moderators cutting off your audio after time is up.

Not to mention accusations of using a teleprompter to deliver prepared talking points.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login