2020 Presidential Election thread

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 2:11 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Wtf boogie. Most random spur of anger ever on the OC. Or at least up there. 

The best was that poster's rant (rlc?) about hating australia/new zealand when of those golfers were about to win a major.  I forget the name, but he was also a duke fan.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 2:27 PM
posted by like_that

The best was that poster's rant (rlc?) about hating australia/new zealand when of those golfers were about to win a major.  I forget the name, but he was also a duke fan.

reclegend. The Duke stuff was annoying because he constantly leg-humped them and the ACC, but his out-of-nowhere rants against stuff like Australia were legendary.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 3:25 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Ok, hard reset. 

As this is the 2020 thread, let's see officially who is running. 

For the Ds: 

• Elizabeth Warren 
  • Kamala Harris 
  • Kirsten Gillibrand 
  • Julian Castro 
  • Pete Buttigieg 
  • John Delaney 
  • Andrew Yang
  • Tulsi Gabbard (announced she is looking into it, but that is it so far) 

Said he is looking into it: Independent Howard Schultz.

Others that are most likely going to run for the Ds: 

• Cory Booker 
  • Joe Biden 
  • Bernie Sanders

All others are possible runs and includes like 10 others. 

Running where … Venezuela ?

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 3:28 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

You're weird and creepy.  Burden of proof to the contrary is on you.

Justin may have to get a restraining order against you. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 3:30 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

I never said the other side isn’t creepy and weird. You both are. 

Defending the life of the innocent just moments prior to birth….is creepy? 

Good God.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 4:52 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/stacey-abrams-chosen-to-give-democratic-response-to-trumps-state-of-the-union

Dems bench is so weak that they have to stoop this low to find someone to put in front of a camera?

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 5:20 PM
posted by like_that

Lol. Reclegend was the best

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 8:19 PM

Starting to look like Trump should consider seeing if Mike Cohen would still be willing to slide some campaign cash Kamala's way. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:40 PM

Kanaka didn’t make it 24 hours before having to walk back her Medicare for all claim. Just promise everything to everyone with no way to ever pay for it. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 7:47 AM
posted by iclfan2

Kanaka didn’t make it 24 hours before having to walk back her Medicare for all claim. Just promise everything to everyone with no way to ever pay for it. 

Is that a nickname or typo?  Either way, it reminds me of Tatanka the wrestler, and I like it, because it brings (perhaps unintentionally) the lulz.  Even though it doesn't make sense.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 8:24 AM
posted by like_that

Is that a nickname or typo?  Either way, it reminds me of Tatanka the wrestler, and I like it, because it brings (perhaps unintentionally) the lulz.  Even though it doesn't make sense.

Lol Kamala. My phone sucks at autocorrect.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 12:04 PM
posted by like_that

Now that just isn't fair. Her name naturally brings back memories of Kamala the Ugandan Giant, so having her follow Liz Warren and appropriate the Indian wrestler's name is just being greedy, lol!

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 12:46 PM

Harris has the best campaign slogan seen so far, "It's not who you know, it's who you blow".

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 1:38 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Harris has the best campaign slogan seen so far, "It's not who you know, it's who you blow".

Granted, if we can survive Trump and Obama, then experience and qualification really don't matter.

And something wrong with accepting a 6-yr term as Senator, and then turning around and running for POTUS after just 2 years.  Obama did the same thing, and I'm sure some Republicans have (Ted Cruz comes to mind).

The two parties are turning out people who can win a popularity contest, rather than leaders.  Yes, politics is a popularity contest.  But the bar should be higher than just someone who speaks well and checks off a few boxes.

Spock Senior Member
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 1:57 PM
posted by gut

Granted, if we can survive Trump and Obama, then experience and qualification really don't matter.

And something wrong with accepting a 6-yr term as Senator, and then turning around and running for POTUS after just 2 years.  Obama did the same thing, and I'm sure some Republicans have (Ted Cruz comes to mind).

The two parties are turning out people who can win a popularity contest, rather than leaders.  Yes, politics is a popularity contest.  But the bar should be higher than just someone who speaks well and checks off a few boxes.

A country with 350,000,000 people in it and these are the 15-20 people that we can get on both sides to be president.  Pretty sad state of affairs here in the good ole USA

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 2:02 PM
posted by Spock

A country with 350,000,000 people in it and these are the 15-20 people that we can get on both sides to be president.  Pretty sad state of affairs here in the good ole USA

The bigger problem lies in the absurd size of government. If it did only what the founders intended, we wouldn't need the best and brightest.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 2:11 PM
posted by Spock

With the sort of intense scrutiny that comes from being the leader of a large country in an era where news is 24/7 via an amazing number of sources ranging from TV to print to radio to the Internet, where so much of it is tailored to the viewpoints of certain groups (making it so that no matter what a person does, they'll be lauded as heroes by some places and painted as villains by others), it's basically devolved into a situation where the best and brightest are too smart to want to put up with that shit, leaving things to the narcissists who just want to see their name in the headlines and egomaniacs who are dumb enough to think they are smart enough to ride out the storm and get through it unscathed.

Spock Senior Member
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 3:28 PM

^^^True......you forgot about the main thing......how rich you have to be to be president.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 4:26 PM
posted by Spock

^^^True......you forgot about the main thing......how rich you have to be to be president.

Yeah, that's true. You need a ton of money to go with the narcissism and ego. All of which are good qualities in their own ways (look at how many athletes get rich in part due to their "I'm the best!" ego causing them to train to the level they can do otherworldly feats), but not necessarily actual leadership qualities.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Jan 30, 2019 5:30 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

The bigger problem lies in the absurd size of government. If it did only what the founders intended, we wouldn't need the best and brightest.

Exactly.  Had the federal government not become so ridiculously vast and powerful, the fight for who wants to try and control it would be far less.  We need to eliminate 30% of it tomorrow, and another 20% next year.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login