2020 Presidential Election thread

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:30 AM
posted by like_that

Most other countries are not obsessed with abortion and think its completely odd that people here celebrate it. 

Yea, I was thinking marches and pink pussy hats celebrating killing the unborn because you don't know how to use birth control was a lot more odd.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:32 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

You weirdo conservatives and your obsession with abortion is creepy. I’ll bow out of this one. 

Did you not see the people in NY state house CHEERING when they passed a bill allowing abortion right up until birth?

Are you sure the obsession is just on the conservative side?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:33 AM

Kamala talking as a DA vs. Kamala talking as a Senator.....it's quite the contrast in identity politics and pandering.

And it illustrates, yet again, that this country does not have political leadership, but rather politicians who say & do what voters want to hear to get elected.

Of course, you get someone up there who takes an unpopular positions and explains and justifies it eloquently.....then that person ends-up a policy wonk that no one listens to.  Doesn't help so called "journalists" and bloggers attack those positions, sometimes propped-up with "research" deliberately tailoried to support an agenda.

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:33 AM
posted by like_that

I am not that passionate about this topic (I personally tend to lean that it is fucked up), but I find the opposite of what you stated.  I think the obsession this country has with abortions in general is fucking creepy and weird.  Most other countries are not obsessed with abortion and think its completely odd that people here celebrate it. 

This is a good post/response.  I think abortions are more about partisanship than they are anything else.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:42 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

On the R side, I hope, I really hope Hogan or Kasich challenge Trump. 

I say Hogan has a better chance than Kasich as Hogan's record is more down the middle than Kasich. Hogan also can show he can work with Rs and Ds in a very blue state. Hogan knows how to work with a D legislature.

But, I know the odds are slim for that to actually happen. 

Both have 0 chance of winning a primary against Trump. I used to like Kasich (don't get me wrong, I would take him over trump 100000000000000X), but he became unhinged and has burned too many bridges by placating to the left. 

Edit:  Trump also stuffed him into a locker during the last primary.  I don't think that would change. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:49 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

This is a good post/response.  I think abortions are more about partisanship than they are anything else.

Abortion.  Guns.  Climate change.  Lot of bullshit issues that Dems and Repubs take different sides of to seem like they are different.  And neither side has moved the needle on any of those issues.  But great issues to bloviate on without having to know much on the subject.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:50 AM
posted by jmog

Did you not see the people in NY state house CHEERING when they passed a bill allowing abortion right up until birth?

Are you sure the obsession is just on the conservative side?

I never said the other side isn’t creepy and weird. You both are. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:51 AM
posted by like_that

Both have 0 chance of winning a primary against Trump.

Trump's not getting primaried unless we have a recession.  And assuming the economy is still doing well, most are probably grossly underestimating Trump's chances of re-election.

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 9:56 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

You weirdo conservatives and your obsession with abortion is creepy. I’ll bow out of this one. 

posted by SportsAndLady

No, but you DID single out conservatives.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 10:01 AM

I am surrounded by corporate speak everyday. Can we please nip the use of “primaried” as a verb. Awful. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 10:10 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Saw on Twitter that Kamala Harris is being dragged for having an affair with a married man and getting plum positions (jobs) because of it. In today's climate people don't really care if you traipsed around with a cheater. For me it is her California ideology that will block me from voting for her. 

From looking at the list of names between dems and reps I am inclined not to vote for anybody. Much like I was in '16, but I voted for Johnson instead. I don't see a Johnson to vote for this time around so I might leave that box alone.

I'll be curious to see who the Libertarian candidate is for 2020. From the current pool of potential candidates, I'm hoping for a guy like Larry Sharpe over Bill f***ing Weld. Looking a little farther into the future, a guy like Glenn Jacobs really interests me. He'd likely run as a Republican, but he's definitely a libertarian in philosophy and I know he has larger political aspirations than his current office of Mayor of Knox County, TN. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 10:57 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I am surrounded by corporate speak everyday. Can we please nip the use of “primaried” as a verb. Awful. 

So rather than a single word you'd prefer something like "fails to win the party nomination" or "gets defeated in the Republican primary"?

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 11:32 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

posted by SportsAndLady

No, but you DID single out conservatives.  

Because I was talking to a conservative lol just because I didn’t mention the other side being weird and creepy doesn’t mean I don’t believe they are too. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 11:45 AM

I think we get it. Both sides are weird/creepy. Feel free to start an abortion thread if you want to continue this back and forth.

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 12:16 PM
posted by gut

So rather than a single word you'd prefer something like "fails to win the party nomination" or "gets defeated in the Republican primary"?

Yes I would.  It would be one small victory in a sea of expressions such as:

Let's hack the culture.

We can leverage our position.

Let's capture the low hanging fruit.

This is in our wheelhouse.

We need to bookend this project.

Let's highlight the value add.

We cannot boil the ocean.

It's not use to shout at the rain.

We have synergistic competencies.

Things like this.  Corporate speak is so awful.  I like it on here in part because it provides relief from that stuff.  That's why I shudder when I see "primaried".  

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 12:21 PM

Let's hack the culture.

Things like this.  Corporate speak is so awful.  I like it on here in part because it provides relief from that stuff.  That's why I shudder when I see "primaried".  

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jan 29, 2019 1:16 PM

Let's hack the culture.

Just chill out little guy.

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 1:59 PM

Wtf boogie. Most random spur of anger ever on the OC. Or at least up there. 

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 2:01 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Wtf boogie. Most random spur of anger ever on the OC. Or at least up there. 

I'm not angry at all.  Just making a request.  It is apparently being denied and I accept that.  

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 2:05 PM
posted by justincredible

I think we get it. Both sides are weird/creepy. 

You're weird and creepy.  Burden of proof to the contrary is on you.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login