2018 mid-term election

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 25, 2018 9:32 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

That tea party wave took over the House though...

But there's no equivalent Obamacare disaster to rally a blue wave behind....If Trump does manage a deal with NK, and possibly a DACA deal, then Dems will give up any hope of taking either the House or Senate and PRAY (do liberals still pray?) Repubs don't get a supermajority.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 25, 2018 9:40 AM
posted by gut

But there's no equivalent Obamacare disaster to rally a blue wave behind....If Trump does manage a deal with NK, and possibly a DACA deal, then Dems will give up any hope of taking either the House or Senate and PRAY (do liberals still pray?) Repubs don't get a supermajority.

Some would say that just Trump himself is the driving force, like Obamacare was. I know that is one of the many reasons why we see the rise in women running for office. 

If those events you mentioned do occur, then yeah, they might change the races come November. But, I am doubt any sort of DACA deal clears both Houses and we'll see if any North Korea deal happens and if it makes an impact on races. I doubt people really care about North Korea in specific House races. 

And hey I have some Dems that still pray. They aren't all godless Commies. (Just some.)

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, May 25, 2018 9:42 AM

That tea party wave took over the House though...

True, but they still lost elections they should have won without them.  That's the comparison I am trying to make.  The bernie dems are a much more radical group.  I don't think "regular" Ds like you want them taking over the party.  If they truly take over, at what point do you say it is no longer your party?  

Also, since you like to talk about DC, I am voting no on initiative 77.  Fuck that noise. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 25, 2018 9:52 AM
posted by like_that

True, but they still lost elections they should have won without them.  That's the comparison I am trying to make.  The bernie dems are a much more radical group.  I don't think "regular" Ds like you want them taking over the party.  If they truly take over, at what point do you say it is no longer your party?  

Also, since you like to talk about DC, I am voting no on initiative 77.  Fuck that noise.

Yeah, that's why I think they won't get the Senate and if they do get the House it is barely. 

I live in MD, but know the Initiative. It's dumb. I would vote No on it. If you are going to raise wages, do it gradually, not with a huge spike.

I live in Montgomery County and the races there are so annoying with everyone racing to the left. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, May 25, 2018 9:59 AM

Yeah, that's why I think they won't get the Senate and if they do get the House it is barely. 

I live in MD, but know the Initiative. It's dumb. I would vote No on it. If you are going to raise wages, do it gradually, not with a huge spike.

I live in Montgomery County and the races there are so annoying with everyone racing to the left. 

I would let the free market take care of it, especially in DC with all the options for restaurants.  If initiative 77 passes, I will no longer be tipping at restaurants. Even the restaurants and their employees are pushing back on it and encouraging everyone to vote no.  I had no interest in voting in the primary, but now I have to.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 25, 2018 10:35 AM

Some would say that just Trump himself is the driving force, like Obamacare was. I know that is one of the many reasons why we see the rise in women running for office. 

Yet, it is a figment of the left's imagination that they think all women think like they do.  Trying to win elections based on emotion and personalities is not going to cut it; it is economics, jobs, taxes, crime, and insecure borders that matter.  Trump is right on those issues, and a majority of voters know it. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 25, 2018 6:35 PM

So I just looked up the Initiative 77 thing that like_that and Ptown were talking about . Turns out, advocates (this description always makes me leary) claim that this will give servers,bartenders,etc. a more livable wage and... AND... cut down on discrimination against PoC and sexual harrassement. Always be leary when you see social justice advocates of any kind.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/05/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-initiative-77-and-the-tipped-minimum-wage/

Although ROC United is not anti-tipping, they say the two-tiered wage system is inherently discriminatory toward people of color. They also argue it encourages women to put up with sexual harassment from customers. They claim workers in states that have a tipped minimum wage (like DC) are twice as likely to experience sexual harassment than those in states that don’t.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login