2018 mid-term election

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 26, 2018 4:38 PM

In case anyone wants to start looking ahead.....

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Feb 26, 2018 9:00 PM

I can't see any change that helps the dems.  Economy is too good.  What are dems going to run on?  Their party leadership are asshats.  

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 26, 2018 10:00 PM

I think that the dems are heavily betting on the millenials and the eldest crop of Gen Z'rs. These are the people who worship at the alter of post modern intersectionality and cultural marxism/authoritarianism (Trump is Satan, revels in victimhood, virulently & destructively protests differing opinions, 3rd wave feminism, everybody is a nazi or white supremacist, etc.).

The problem with that is, in a wild way, it's helping Trump. His poll numbers are reportedly on the rise. Not sure if I have any trust in polls anymore lol, but there you have it. The curve always comes back around and I wonder if the dems' current form of worship will make it through this.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 26, 2018 10:19 PM

I hope the Dems run on a gun control platform.  

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 12:45 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

... (Trump is Satan, revels in victimhood, virulently & destructively protests differing opinions, 3rd wave feminism, everybody is a nazi or white supremacist, etc.)....

I was thinking about that the other day.  The left created this whole caricature of Trump that kind of resembles a Bond supervillain....and then they bought into it, and scared themselves into shitless hysteria.

It really shows how irrational and unhinged the LEADERS are on the left in the party and in the media.  But it definitely doesn't matter to the true believers, nor probably even most of the normal people registered Democrat.  That does scare me, kind of like if Ted Cruz and the Tea Party were running the Repubs.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 8:28 AM

Ds gain some houses in the HoR since that always happens mid-term, but they lose a couple seats in the Senate mainly due to how many D seats are up vs how many R seats are up for election.

At the end of the election the Rs will have less of a majority (but still majority) in the HoR but a slightly larger majority in the Senate (no where near 60 for super majority).

In other words, 2018 election will be a big nothing burger if people are looking for anything to change.

Of course, the lefty friends of mine on FB are all believing that 2018 will be a referendum on Trump and that Ds will win over both houses...they obviously haven't looked at what seats are up for grabs in the Senate, just that the current makeup is 51-49. 

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 9:03 AM

The democrats will pick up the usual number of off-year HOR seats...probably 10-12.

GOP keeps the Senate...might even pick up a seat.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 9:13 AM
posted by fish82

The democrats will pick up the usual number of off-year HOR seats...probably 10-12.

GOP keeps the Senate...might even pick up a seat.

The Rs may have lost the senate if not for the very odd distribution of seats that are up for election. A vast majority up for election are current D seats. The Rs have 43 seats that aren't even up, the Ds only have 23. If you look at seats that will EASILY stay where they are, the current split after 2018 is 49 R, 40 D with 11 that are contested.

Any D that things they are getting all 11 of the contested seats is in dream world. The Rs will retain the Senate and like you said, may pick up a couple.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 10:23 AM

Well, J Law says she is quitting acting for a year to "fix our democracy", so there's that. 

I can't wait to see how she improves upon the constitution and bill of rights; very exciting and extremely generous of her.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 10:49 AM
posted by jmog

Any D that things they are getting all 11 of the contested seats is in dream world. The Rs will retain the Senate and like you said, may pick up a couple.

I think it will be more than a couple....more like 7-8.  Getting to 60 would not be a good thing.  But that's enough to render never-Trumpers like a McCain irrelevant.

Sure looks like there is a very good chance of losing the House.  Mid-terms are bad for the ruling party, and the map for Republicans in the House is almost as unfavorable as the Senate is favorable.

If the economy and jobs continue to do well, it's going to be a lot more difficult for Dems.  If the Russia "collusion" story keeps trending where it looks, that's not going to be good for Dems.

I'd be really happy to see incumbents like Pelosi and Feinstein ousted, but apparently if that happens it's because the Dems managed to find someone even stupid crazier.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 10:56 AM
posted by gut

I'd be really happy to see incumbents like Pelosi and Feinstein ousted, but apparently if that happens it's because the Dems managed to find someone even stupid crazier.

The fucked up thing is, Pelosi and Feinstein are considered too moderate. It's almost comical how far to the left the dems have gone. They are making it impossible for the moderate dems I know to vote for them (fortunately for them I don't know many)

fish82 Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 11:03 AM
posted by gut

I think it will be more than a couple....more like 7-8.  Getting to 60 would not be a good thing.  But that's enough to render never-Trumpers like a McCain irrelevant.

Sure looks like there is a very good chance of losing the House.  Mid-terms are bad for the ruling party, and the map for Republicans in the House is almost as unfavorable as the Senate is favorable.

If the economy and jobs continue to do well, it's going to be a lot more difficult for Dems.  If the Russia "collusion" story keeps trending where it looks, that's not going to be good for Dems.

I would have said 7-8 easily as well a year ago. Trump going pretty much full retard for 20 months will mitigate those gains significantly.

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 11:03 AM

All those Dem Senators that rode in on Obama's coattails in 2012 are screwed.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 11:13 AM
posted by fish82

Trump going pretty much full retard for 20 months will mitigate those gains significantly.

I think most people don't actually pay attention to that stuff....they pay attention to what they take home in their paycheck.

They'll do something on gun control (placebo), and on immigration.  If they get those two things done, then what do Dems have to run on other than Trump hysteria?

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 11:30 AM
posted by gut

https://www.270towin.com/2018-house-election/

This is a pretty good site to get election information.

The Ds would have to win all of their "leans", all of the "too close to call", and at least 1 of the R "leans" to take control of the HoR.

They will gain some seats, but I highly doubt they take control...this time around.

fish82 Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 1:36 PM

Zero chance the GOP loses the house this cycle.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 1:47 PM
posted by iclfan2

The fucked up thing is, Pelosi and Feinstein are considered too moderate. It's almost comical how far to the left the dems have gone. They are making it impossible for the moderate dems I know to vote for them (fortunately for them I don't know many)

This is the guy that is challenging Feinstein:

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 2:04 PM
posted by justincredible

This is the guy that is challenging Feinstein:

I saw where the California Democrat party refused to endorse Feinstein for her Senate run. The vote was de Leon 54% Feinstein 37% 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 2:15 PM

Yeah, they appear to be going hard Progressive.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 2:39 PM
posted by majorspark

I saw where the California Democrat party refused to endorse Feinstein for her Senate run. The vote was de Leon 54% Feinstein 37% 

I've saw that reported also. All you can do is shake your head and chuckle.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Feb 27, 2018 2:45 PM

Doubtful Feinstein will actually lose, though.  She's got the money, and she's leading like 2-to-1 in the polls.  The endorsement here was about delegates, or the most leftist of libtards in CA.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login