2018 Election results thread

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 4, 2018 12:54 PM
posted by gut

Again, I'll say people are so polarized - and angry - that turnout is a complete guess.  These models always come down to their predictions on turnout (or at least its distribution), and I don't think any past results (they usually rely heavily on what the last midterm or two looked like) will be indicative.

If Kac gets confirmed, will the anger be sustainable on the right? The left will be more angered, but likely the people who are angry were already going to vote. Something to watch for.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 4, 2018 1:25 PM
posted by iclfan2

If Kac gets confirmed, will the anger be sustainable on the right? The left will be more angered, but likely the people who are angry were already going to vote. Something to watch for.

Trump is pretty good at stoking that anger when he's out campaigning for people in close battles.  And because of his rhetoric, all the dumbass news channels play the soundbites which gives him 100% reach (as opposed to just the people at the rally, who are voting anyway).

I think Trump may actually be adding to his "base".  And the key is, President's lose in midterms because their base is less motivated to turnout, but Trump is different AND he does more campaigning.  I think it will be a real uphill battle for Dems to flip districts that Trump won by more than 4-5%.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Oct 4, 2018 4:26 PM

I really feel that the crap that Trump spews is actually what most people think of stuff.  He just says it.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 4, 2018 4:35 PM

Pretty much true; Trump does not need to be re-elected, find another elected office, or otherwise live off the public teat.  Refreshing, and badly needed.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Oct 5, 2018 9:27 AM

Trump is as east coast elite establishment as you can possibly get - trust fund baby, Manhattan born-and-bred, elite boarding schools, etc, etc.  He just happens to have a loud mouth and thus has poorer manners than most WASPs.   He has about as much a connection with flyover country as Barbara Streisand.  His talent is knowing how to say BS to the right audience in order to get reactions.  But that crap doesn't reflect some sort of philosophy.  It is whatever is needed in that particular situation, with that particular audience.  His life has proven in spades that he will do what he needs to do in order to advance himself.  I realize there are many who measure his success by such one-dimensional metrics as the DJA.  Presidents have minimal affect on the economy.  Whatever affect they do have is not something that can be created in a small window of time.  There is a long lag before any policy decisions have any good or bad result.  Presidents are either lucky or unlucky in their timing for being in office - whether it coincides with growth or not.  

My problem with Trump is that we have a person representing the leading position of our country who does not practice common decency in how he treats others, what he says or his actions.  That too me outweighs any perceived good from a trade deal decision here or a immigration rule there.  Our country has a person at the helm who I would not invite into my home, would not trust alone with my daughter, would not ever do a business deal with, and would never stop to listen to were he not president.  He is a masterful self-promoter, but he is not crazy like a fox in my opinion.  I look forward to the day he leaves.  I believe history will judge his term harshly and reflect poorly on us for putting him where he is.  

Spock Senior Member
Fri, Oct 5, 2018 9:34 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Trump is as east coast elite establishment as you can possibly get - trust fund baby, Manhattan born-and-bred, elite boarding schools, etc, etc.  He just happens to have a loud mouth and thus has poorer manners than most WASPs.   He has about as much a connection with flyover country as Barbara Streisand.  His talent is knowing how to say BS to the right audience in order to get reactions.  But that crap doesn't reflect some sort of philosophy.  It is whatever is needed in that particular situation, with that particular audience.  His life has proven in spades that he will do what he needs to do in order to advance himself.  I realize there are many who measure his success by such one-dimensional metrics as the DJA.  Presidents have minimal affect on the economy.  Whatever affect they do have is not something that can be created in a small window of time.  There is a long lag before any policy decisions have any good or bad result.  Presidents are either lucky or unlucky in their timing for being in office - whether it coincides with growth or not.  

My problem with Trump is that we have a person representing the leading position of our country who does not practice common decency in how he treats others, what he says or his actions.  That too me outweighs any perceived good from a trade deal decision here or a immigration rule there.  Our country has a person at the helm who I would not invite into my home, would not trust alone with my daughter, would not ever do a business deal with, and would never stop to listen to were he not president.  He is a masterful self-promoter, but he is not crazy like a fox in my opinion.  I look forward to the day he leaves.  I believe history will judge his term harshly and reflect poorly on us for putting him where he is.  

What a load of crap.  Even if he is all of this.....its better than a career politician

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 5, 2018 9:43 AM

I actually agree with Boogie on 99% of his summarization. The only place I would branch off from him is that he is essentially describing every other President except for the fact that Trump is uncouth, crass and therefore unlikeable on a personable level. At least, that is how I see him.

The question comes down to: Who is ok with an unlikable President and who thinks that that should even be a factor?
Myself, I'm kinda in the latter category. There really should be a "decent" personality in the WH, IMO. It's hard to support a President who sets you back on your heels at every turn.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 5, 2018 11:21 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

... really should be a "decent" personality in the WH, IMO. It's hard to support a President who sets you back on your heels at every turn.

Truthfully, the POTUS doesn't actually do much.  He appoints people, from recommendations from his advisors and others, who make 99% of the decisions.  Those people normally are on board with the agenda, but you can be a moron and do well as long as you hire a few key people.

I think even the Sec State is mainly a puppet - foreign policy is driven by career staffers.  And if you really try to deviate from past practices, if it's unagreeable foreign leaders will just wait out a new Administration.

I think the stuff that matters that the POTUS is ultimately responsible for, and does affect the economy, is on the regulatory front and trade deals.  Most everything else he is just a "yes/no" to whatever actually manages to get thru Congress.

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 5, 2018 12:08 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I actually agree with Boogie on 99% of his summarization. The only place I would branch off from him is that he is essentially describing every other President except for the fact that Trump is uncouth, crass and therefore unlikeable on a personable level. At least, that is how I see him.

The question comes down to: Who is ok with an unlikable President and who thinks that that should even be a factor?
Myself, I'm kinda in the latter category. There really should be a "decent" personality in the WH, IMO. It's hard to support a President who sets you back on your heels at every turn.

I've said it before and it bears repeating...the ONLY difference between Trump and LBJ is that Trump has a twitter account. 

He's no higher than #4 on the list of worst humans to be POTUS. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Oct 8, 2018 4:24 PM

What you see is what you get.  What a difference between him and 90% of the politicians who are as phony as they can be.  And the other Yuge difference is his policies are actually helping the economy and hundreds of millions ----- capitalism trumping Marxism.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 11:22 AM

Anyone else following early voting?  I am pretty shocked so far the GOP is leading in a lot of states. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 11:31 AM
posted by like_that

Anyone else following early voting?  I am pretty shocked so far the GOP is leading in a lot of states. 

Some of these races have the worst people in them. Sinema in Ariz, both people in Mizzou, Gillum in florida a clown, Beto running for Pres instead of Tx. If nothing else, twitter shows you how dumb some people are and how no one smart ever really wants to get into politics. 

I voted absentee yesterday, so nice to not have to go to the polls.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 1:58 PM
posted by like_that

The thought of Pelosi being speaker again should certainly summon every repub to the polls, along with all other real Americans.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 2:24 PM

I'm a real USA American. Who should I vote for? I don't want to screw this up.

Spock Senior Member
Wed, Oct 31, 2018 9:40 PM
posted by QuakerOats

The thought of Pelosi being speaker again should certainly summon every repub to the polls, along with all other real Americans.

No doubt.  Dems would be insane to give her that back.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login