2018 Election results thread

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:01 AM
posted by justincredible

This thread can be used for a running list of races won throughout the mid-terms.

First up, Glenn Jacobs, AKA Kane from the WWE, won the Knox County mayoral race yesterday. Jacobs is a very libertarian-leaning Republican.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/03/former-wwe-star-glenn-kane-jacobs-wins-mayoral-race-in-tennessee.html

It's cool that he's libertarianish, but man... too many celebrities! (I'm Trumped out)

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:02 AM

My favorite wrestler of all time. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:44 AM

I just hope he stays in character for the entirety of his term. Council doesn't pass his agenda, here comes the bursts of fire and explosion sounds!

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 11:09 AM
posted by Heretic

I just hope he stays in character for the entirety of his term. Council doesn't pass his agenda, here comes the bursts of fire and explosion sounds!

"By God almighty he just choke-slammed the councilmen to hell!" 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 11:40 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

It's cool that he's libertarianish, but man... too many celebrities! (I'm Trumped out)

You should watch some of his interviews.  You would like him.  He is definitely a libertarian, and is pretty well spoken. I think he would have probably won without the celebrity of being Kane.

posted by Heretic

If he does this, we will be talking about him as our POTUS after the 2024 election. 

Fri, Aug 3, 2018 12:51 PM
posted by BRF

My favorite wrestler of all time. 

Nope! That goes to Randy "Macho Man" Savage!

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 1:03 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

posted by like_that

You should watch some of his interviews.  You would like him.  He is definitely a libertarian, and is pretty well spoken. I think he would have probably won without the celebrity of being Kane.

To expand on this a little more, I just got this email from Tom Woods (great podcast if you're a libertarian or at least receptive to the ideas of liberty). Jacobs is an impressive dude.

This is a big deal -- and could be an even bigger deal down the road.

Glenn Jacobs, the WWE wrestler Kane, was just elected mayor of Knox County (which includes Knoxville), Tennessee.

Jacobs (who has over 7.2 million Facebook likes, by the way) is extremely impressive and very knowledgeable. He can speak intelligently about everything from the Constitution to business cycles, from foreign policy to the nonaggression principle.

Not to mention: he believes in Austrian economics, he supports the Mises Institute, and he's a member of my LibertyClassroom.com

Now I need to toot my own horn here a bit.

When I last had Glenn on my show, I asked him, with regard to his race for mayor:

"What made you decide to do this all of a sudden?"

His answer:

"A guy named Tom Woods."

Whoa.

He went on:

"The last time I was on your show, you asked me a question that really got me to thinking. It basically was, 'What are you going to do,' or 'Where do you think our movement is going to achieve success?'

"That show was about 2013, right? And I told you I was fed up with politics, especially after what happened with Ron Paul and the RNC in 2012, I think. You know, I wasn't naive enough to think that Ron was going to win, but I felt very slighted that the RNC went to great lengths not to allow him to even speak and not to let the viewpoint of the liberty wing of the Republican Party be represented at their national convention. So I was fed up. I really was.

"And...when I said, 'I'm fed up. I'm done,' you said back to me, 'Well, it's not like you're going to have the majority of Americans suddenly withdraw their consent.' And that got me to thinking. You're exactly right. I think that the political process is still something that those of us who want to see positive change — and what I mean by that is change in the direction of liberty and free markets — we have to do what we can do to cause that to happen, and that includes sometimes being in the political process."

I went back and looked at the transcript from that earlier episode, and he's indeed right. I said: "I’m not totally sure what the theory is according to which we can solve our problems without politics. Can we really imagine that enough people will just withdraw their consent from the system and it simply collapses of its own weight? I understand that politics is not going to solve the problem. Then what? What else is our alternative?"

Well, whatever influenced Glenn's decision to run, the fact is that Knoxville and all of Knox County now has a hardcore libertarian mayor. And for all we know (and I have no inside information here), he has further ambitions.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 4:08 PM

Hey, I was just wondering about this "mayor" of the "county" business. Is this unique to Tennessee?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 4:27 PM

It would be funny to see if some clown tried the typical bully tactics you often see in Presidential debates with Kane.  I think he'd get 25% of the electorate just after seeing him tower over all the other candidates.

Imagine Rand Paul in a debate, sandwiched between Kane and The Rock!  Even his wife wouldn't vote for the little girl-y mahn.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 5:15 PM

LOL, I like Rand a lot. But Jacobs would get my vote over Rand in a Republican primary.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Aug 3, 2018 5:22 PM
posted by justincredible

LOL, I like Rand a lot. But Jacobs would get my vote over Rand in a Republican primary.

I'm really interested in Jacobs just after reading that short article you linked.

Rand was awful in the debates.  It's also a problem that he tends to get a little caustic at times (only Trump can pull that off).  Just can't keep his cool when a debate gets heated.

On a related note, Pro Wrestling isn't just a bunch of meatheads.  OK, I don't really follow wrestling and am basing that just off Kane and The Rock.  Also, Tyrus is an interesting guy if you've ever seen the Gutfeld show.

Fri, Aug 3, 2018 6:16 PM

Ok, so I've watched three small clips of Jacobs' interviews. FOX, MSNBC and Blaze. All three were pretty favorable, which surprised me, tbh. He seems legit from what I've seen so far. Maybe tonight when I can't sleep I'll watch a long-form interview.

Fri, Aug 3, 2018 6:17 PM
posted by gut

On a related note, Pro Wrestling isn't just a bunch of meatheads.  OK, I don't really follow wrestling and am basing that just off Kane and The Rock.  Also, Tyrus is an interesting guy if you've ever seen the Gutfeld show.

I actually like a lot of what Tyrus's opinions are. Although I haven't watched Gutfeld for the past month, I used to watch it all the time. Tyrus is fairly middle of the road with his ideology and that is what most people have an affinity for.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Aug 8, 2018 1:35 PM

So Trump is 5-0 last night?

gut Senior Member
Wed, Aug 8, 2018 6:38 PM

I guess I've not paid attention before.....we turn around and have these elections again in 3 months?  We literally elected these people just so they can go campaign full-time for re-election on the taxpayer dime?

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 9, 2018 7:54 AM

All of Eva Peron's endorsed candidates got smoked...so that was fun. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 9, 2018 10:16 AM
posted by gut

I guess I've not paid attention before.....we turn around and have these elections again in 3 months?  We literally elected these people just so they can go campaign full-time for re-election on the taxpayer dime?

Basically. And for those of us who live in their regions to have to deal with three more months of constant "hit you over the head with this shit non-fucking-stop" advertising. Believe me, I'm totally fucking thrilled...

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Aug 9, 2018 11:12 AM

Trump has backed 9 people in the past special elections......he is 8-1

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 17, 2018 8:56 AM

Five Thirty Eight released their House Forecasting Model. They give Ds a 74.3% of taking the House. They give a nice breakdown of each house race and projections. They assume that the historical trends of the President's party in office loses seats at the midterm and given Trump's low approval rating, it brings a wave.  They look into each race and assign a probability based on polling. They also have five big take aways that in order to do this the Ds must turn out and beat the popular vote by a wide margin. 

Interesting for sure and a good way to track each race going into November.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-big-picture-in-the-race-for-the-house/

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 17, 2018 9:43 AM

That's pretty close to the odds he gave Hillary of winning. 

FWIW

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login