2021 Olympics Thread

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 6:11 PM
posted by gut

Former medalist in Men's 800M accidentally clips the young American and both go down....former medalist gets an exemption for the final while the American doesn't.

The American probably had no hope of medaling, but this doesn't seem fair.

This reinstatement is complete BS, the IOC is so up African countries asses and could care less about the US runners.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 6:11 PM
posted by Ironman92

Gabby Thomas ❤️

#smokeshow

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 6:51 PM
posted by Ironman92

Just watched the Chinese guys just dominate the spring board diving in the prelims….then watched a Canadian score straight 0’s. No clue what went through his mind on take off.

I think it was a female diver. She said she just froze. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 163 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 7:17 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I think it was a female diver. She said she just froze. 

No…it was the men’s competition

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 9:45 PM
posted by Ironman92

Just watched the Chinese guys just dominate the spring board diving in the prelims….then watched a Canadian score straight 0’s. No clue what went through his mind on take off.

Sports has been full of athletes who have not been able to handle the mental side of sports. The mental part of sports is usually what separates those that have elite physical gifts. 
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 10:04 PM
posted by Ironman92

No…it was the men’s competition

This is the one I was thinking of. 

https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/ware-posts-failed-dive-3m-springboard-semi?chrcontext=kyma

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 10:11 PM

holy cow Michael Cherry runs as effortless as I've ever seen.

Kind of a weird style, and looks like he's fighting form, then you realize he's just kind of stretching his legs.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 10:52 PM
posted by gut

holy cow Michael Cherry runs as effortless as I've ever seen.

Kind of a weird style, and looks like he's fighting form, then you realize he's just kind of stretching his legs.

He looked good…I thought Kenny Bendarik was flawless in the 200 semi

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 11:29 PM

Man I was pulling hard for Raj and he broke the world record by 1/2 a second……but Warholm broke it by 3/4 of a second.

How the fucking fuck do you do the 400m hurdles in 45.94?

Just not even believable what he did.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 11:37 PM
posted by Ironman92

Man I was pulling hard for Raj and he broke the world record by 1/2 a second……but Warholm broke it by 3/4 of a second.

How the fucking fuck do you do the 400m hurdles in 45.94?

Just not even believable what he did.

How do you SHATTER the WR and still lose by that much?

I'm thinking Norway might be where the latest & greatest PED's are.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Aug 2, 2021 11:42 PM
posted by gut

How do you SHATTER the WR and still lose by that much?

I'm thinking Norway might be where the latest & greatest PED's are.

I can’t believe he ran him down with 2 hurdles left and Warholm had more in the tank.

I’m gonna need Gabby to run a perfect race in the 200 finals and then have Emma Coburn take the steeple. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 3, 2021 12:51 AM
posted by Ironman92

I can’t believe he ran him down with 2 hurdles left and Warholm had more in the tank.

My thoughts exactly.

OK, he says he ran the perfect race.  But to see that, after having seen so many drug-aided draw-dropping performances over the years....And you know what - Raj looked JUST LIKE Carl Lewis after the '88 Olympics.

Unless he has a heart the size [literally] of Secretariat, there's nothing about his technique or stature that makes me think he's simply a freak of nature to gap the record like that.

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 7:44 AM

Being cynical here - don't you assume all these guys dope?  It works and I think it's a case where you wouldn't be competitive without it. But even if that's the case, the guy still wins the event. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Aug 3, 2021 8:29 AM
posted by gut

My thoughts exactly.

OK, he says he ran the perfect race.  But to see that, after having seen so many drug-aided draw-dropping performances over the years....And you know what - Raj looked JUST LIKE Carl Lewis after the '88 Olympics.

Unless he has a heart the size [literally] of Secretariat, there's nothing about his technique or stature that makes me think he's simply a freak of nature to gap the record like that.

It’s hard to fathom….I’ll give him the benefit and say I saw something incredible but a dirty test wouldn’t surprise me at all. Not many though I wouldn’t believe might be cheating for that matter. Hello 100m champ….

But I’m really not looking that way, just enjoying.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 3, 2021 9:42 AM

They are all cheating. Some just use stuff that occasionally gets caught by the test. Lets not pretend the American sprinters and swimmers are God's Angels while the rest of the world are the scum of the earth cheaters.

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 10:02 AM
posted by Laley23

They are all cheating. Some just use stuff that occasionally gets caught by the test. Lets not pretend the American sprinters and swimmers are God's Angels while the rest of the world are the scum of the earth cheaters.

If you're a competitor and everyone else does it (or even if some do it), you have to do it to have a chance.  I've come to see it as similar to diet, recovery and rest - some may have a better program than others.  If most or all are doing it, the baseline moves up, but the elite and winners still set themselves apart from this new baseline.  This is why I didn't understand the attitude that Lance Armstrong was not the greatest cyclist ever.  He was/is a dick - I get that.  But there is no way every competitor he was up against did not dope as well.  So he was still the best among that baseline.  

With sprinters or strength athletes, I just don't see how you can't assume they dope.  I have a feeling those that don't have no shot, so we've never heard of them.  I think this whole topic just needs to be an accepted part of sports.  

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Aug 3, 2021 12:13 PM

If you're a competitor and everyone else does it (or even if some do it), you have to do it to have a chance.  I've come to see it as similar to diet, recovery and rest - some may have a better program than others.  If most or all are doing it, the baseline moves up, but the elite and winners still set themselves apart from this new baseline.  This is why I didn't understand the attitude that Lance Armstrong was not the greatest cyclist ever.  He was/is a dick - I get that.  But there is no way every competitor he was up against did not dope as well.  So he was still the best among that baseline.  

With sprinters or strength athletes, I just don't see how you can't assume they dope.  I have a feeling those that don't have no shot, so we've never heard of them.  I think this whole topic just needs to be an accepted part of sports.  

I like how Calvin Smith thinks that the gold in '88 Seoul should be his because he never tested positive
gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 3, 2021 1:00 PM

This is why I didn't understand the attitude that Lance Armstrong was not the greatest cyclist ever.  He was/is a dick - I get that.  But there is no way every competitor he was up against did not dope as well.  So he was still the best among that baseline.  

Maybe the best TdF rider, but never really in the conversation for GOAT in cycling.

But all drugs aren't equal.  People who are better financed (certainly true of Armstrong's team) have better drugs, and that gives them a real advantage.

Tue, Aug 3, 2021 1:40 PM
posted by gut

Maybe the best TdF rider, but never really in the conversation for GOAT in cycling.

But all drugs aren't equal.  People who are better financed (certainly true of Armstrong's team) have better drugs, and that gives them a real advantage.

Yes, but they also have better coaches, better equipment, better facilities, better doctors, etc.  There's no way to even the playing field. 

Yes, best tour de france rider.  I don't know shit about riding, so that's all I know about him.  Maybe in the world of cycling he wasn't that great - only in that race.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 3, 2021 1:44 PM

Speed climbing.  W....T....F.....These guys move like monkey-spiders.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login