2020 NFL Thread...

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 5:28 PM

So...Denver had to play yesterday despite not having any actual QBs due to COVID.

Meanwhile, Baltimore essentially gets to dictate to the NFL exactly when they'll play, since their game with Pittsburgh now has gone from Thursday to Sunday to Tuesday and now to Wednesday. 

Guess being pals with the commissioner helps!

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 5:33 PM

I think/have heard it’s about 50-50 the NFL goes on a 2-week hiatus after that game. So, for Goodell, moving it another day doesn’t matter. Or up until Saturday, really. They want to get all of Week 12 in before pushing it all back, though.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 5:42 PM
posted by Laley23

I think/have heard it’s about 50-50 the NFL goes on a 2-week hiatus after that game. So, for Goodell, moving it another day doesn’t matter. Or up until Saturday, really. They want to get all of Week 12 in before pushing it all back, though.

That would actually make some sense.  But why does a repeat offender in BAL, and the worst offender to-date, get continuous free passes?

I think they shut down all facilities for Monday and Tuesday (with exception of the 4 teams with immediate upcoming games).  So that move would certainly be in line with a two week hiatus.

The problem with that plan is I foresee a number of new cases in the NFL about 7-10 days after Thanksgiving.  I guess they figure those cases clear the following week and get back to business as usual.  But I suspect what happens is secondary spread in a lot of cases, where someone in a player's household contracts it over Thanksgiving, and then gives it to the player the following week.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 5:46 PM

Sure, let's shutdown for two more weeks and give almost every team in the league 3 bye weeks while PIT gets just one.

And then let's just add an 8th playoff team, so BAL can squeak in, and screw PIT out of another bye.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 163 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 6:01 PM
posted by gut

Sure, let's shutdown for two more weeks and give almost every team in the league 3 bye weeks while PIT gets just one.

And then let's just add an 8th playoff team, so BAL can squeak in, and screw PIT out of another bye.

Adding the 8th and it being Baltimore would be a bad look lol

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 6:35 PM

Game is at 3:40 Wednesday afternoon. 

Mon, Nov 30, 2020 6:39 PM

And now they are probably moving Dallas/Baltimore to Tuesday. 

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 7:37 PM
posted by Ironman92

Adding the 8th and it being Baltimore would be a bad look lol

Yeah, I was sort of joking....but turns out that might be exactly what Harbaugh is trying to do.  I didn't realize this, but adding an extra week AUTOMATICALLY triggers adding another playoff team in each conference.

So he has a ginormous incentive to get this game postponed, not to mention getting everyone back for the PIT game.  Probably trying to come up with a couple more positive tests to make it happen.

I hope they get the 9 seed lol

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 8:25 PM

I find myself caring less and less about the season. A lot of that is because of the Bengals again being in tank mode. But add me to the confused list of why Baltimore gets endless chances to make this work but Denver had to go play without a fucking QB on the roster. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 8:43 PM

This is quite funny...and spot on lol

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 9:05 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

but Denver had to go play without a fucking QB on the roster. 

The official line of bullshit is safety and not competitive reasons.  BAL had new positives as recently as Sunday, I believe.

But I don't think anyone really buys that excuse.  BAL was decimated, but I think it has more to do with having the reigning MVP and being in the playoff hunt.

They bent over backwards for TEN, too.  Didn't even consider pushing the game back a few days, just said "hey, we'll just take away your byes".  To be fair, that was the first incident.

Making it up as they go along.  Hard to see a CLE or PIT getting the same favorable treatment.  PIT is 10-0 and the league keeps putting them at a competitive disadvantage.  We all know they'd never do that to Tampa Brady or the Patriots.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 9:21 PM
posted by gut

The official line of bullshit is safety and not competitive reasons.  BAL had new positives as recently as Sunday, I believe.

But I don't think anyone really buys that excuse.  BAL was decimated, but I think it has more to do with having the reigning MVP and being in the playoff hunt.

They bent over backwards for TEN, too.  Didn't even consider pushing the game back a few days, just said "hey, we'll just take away your byes".  To be fair, that was the first incident.

Making it up as they go along.  Hard to see a CLE or PIT getting the same favorable treatment.  PIT is 10-0 and the league keeps putting them at a competitive disadvantage.  We all know they'd never do that to Tampa Brady or the Patriots.

I watched Around the Horn for the first time in a long time (I like PTI though) and Woody Paige was pretty hell bent that if had a louder/tougher owner the game would’ve been postponed.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 9:34 PM
posted by Ironman92

I watched Around the Horn for the first time in a long time (I like PTI though) and Woody Paige was pretty hell bent that if had a louder/tougher owner the game would’ve been postponed.

Maybe Art is pounding the table to play the game....because if they add a Wk18 that triggers the 8th playoff team, which would potentially take away PIT first round bye.

The game likely has playoff/seeding implications, so postponing means it probably would have to be played.  And there aren't many scenarios where that would be good for PIT.  You have to play a tough division rival while all the other playoff teams have a bye, and then maybe turn around the next week and start the playoffs.

If this was DEN or CIN, they would have played yesterday.  They aren't going to forfeit a team, well they basically did with DEN and would have been the same story for BAL.  But because BAL is in the playoff hunt....

BAL put themselves in this situation.  Other coaches - particularly Tomlin - have really emphasized how one bad choice by one player could derail a season.  So it should be "play on Wednesday or BAL forfeits".

It really would be criminal if BAL forces a Wk18, makes the playoffs as the #8 seed, and then beats #1 seed PIT in what was supposed to have been their bye week.

mhs95_06 Senior Member
8,603 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 9:57 PM

And now they say this weekends Balt vs. Cowboys game is moved to Wed, and Schefter says that'll be far enough out that the MVP QB can play for Balt.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 30, 2020 10:23 PM
posted by mhs95_06

And now they say this weekends Balt vs. Cowboys game is moved to Wed, and Schefter says that'll be far enough out that the MVP QB can play for Balt.

Whut?!?  I thought it was going to be a MNF triple-header.

Why is BAL getting such favorable treatment?  PIT doesn't get the extra two days, but I'm sure they'd rather have the extra time for BUF instead of WAS.

But why are you now screwing DAL with a short week?  MAYBE I could see playing Tuesday, but Wednesday so they get LJ back is a real smack in the face to DEN and NE, who had to play without QB's in Covid.

Tue, Dec 1, 2020 6:13 AM
posted by mhs95_06

Dallas/Baltimore is scheduled for Tuesday. 

Tue, Dec 1, 2020 6:17 AM
posted by gut

Whut?!?  I thought it was going to be a MNF triple-header.

Why is BAL getting such favorable treatment?  PIT doesn't get the extra two days, but I'm sure they'd rather have the extra time for BUF instead of WAS.

But why are you now screwing DAL with a short week?  MAYBE I could see playing Tuesday, but Wednesday so they get LJ back is a real smack in the face to DEN and NE, who had to play without QB's in Covid.

Relax. The Steelers are undefeated and have a 3 game cushion for first place in the North. 

Dallas hasn’t played since Thanksgiving, they’ll be fine on a short week in damn near 2 weeks. 

Denver had to play without QBs because they broke the NFL rules for Covid. There is a big difference in that and what is happening in Baltimore. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 1, 2020 10:06 AM

Nine straight days of positive tests, 30 members within the organization either positive or on the high risk list. But unlike Denver no protocols were broken. Got it. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 1, 2020 10:43 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Nine straight days of positive tests, 30 members within the organization either positive or on the high risk list. But unlike Denver no protocols were broken. Got it. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-punish-staff-member-for-conduct-surrounding-recent-covid-19-outbreak-within-the-team/

Or...there was a protocol allegedly broken to the degree that a staff member was disciplined and the league is still bending over backwards to not punish them unlike Denver.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 1, 2020 11:00 AM

This is pretty set in stone. You have positives and they are out. But if the rest of the team is negative within X amount of days, game is played. Baltimore keeps having positives, so game is not played. Take of the tinfoil with the NFL is trying to screw my team nonsense lol. You sound crazy. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login