2020 Browns

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Sep 13, 2020 10:26 PM

I don’t want to overreact to a super bowl favorite. But that was miserable.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 1:49 AM

We got away from the run way too early. Hunt was 13 carries for 72 yards, and Chubb was 10 carries for 60 yards. Keep running until they stop it, and use the successful running game to put Baker into more favorable passing situations. I also think that Baker is better when we roll him out to give him passing lanes. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 2:45 AM

I am not a fan of week 1 overreactions (good and bad), especially with no preseason, but it's very hard not to pile on this team.

For the past 2 seasons, this roster has been the most talented roster that I can recall since they returned in 1999.  Feel free to counter argue with another roster, but I can't think of a more talented group.  I also can't think of another roster since 1999 that was mentally softer than this bunch.  This team just straight up quits any game they find themselves in a small hole and it is disgraceful.  I knew the game was over after the fumbled fake punt (good call there Kevin).  You could see it in their entire body language.  Case in point, when Seibert missed the FG before the half from the Baltimore 23, how many of us KNEW the Ravens would score a TD (note: not a FG) with under a minute left?  How about when they pinned the Ravens down at the 1 yard line, and the Ravens immediately dug themselves out being pinned by their endzone?  Anyone else other than me knew the Ravens were going to score on that drive once they got that first down?  If not, it was pretty easy to tell just by looking at their body language.    Don't even get me started on the offense....

This is just not simply bad defense (or offense), but it comes down to being soft as fuck with a piss poor attitude.  I am piling on after week 1, because this is just a continuation from last season.  The second this team faces any ounce of adversity they straight up give up.  If the opposing team scores the first TD, you're better off turning off the TV and doing something productive with your day, because the outcome is already over.  We have seen some pretty shitty teams put up much bigger fights than these guys for almost every game until the final whistle. The 1-15 and 0-16 teams had more fight than these guys.  Hell, Baker's rookie season the team had a lot of fight for every game.  WTF happened?  If you want to talk about teams identifying with their city, this team is a great example of the exact opposite.

/rant

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 2:50 AM
posted by like_that

For the past 2 seasons, this roster has been the most talented roster that I can recall since they returned in 1999. /rant

Sure.  I've heard that argument for most of the past 10 years.  But it's based on projections, not results.  CLE sucks because their fans have seriously overrated the coaches and players for 15+ years.

CLE will never be good until they get a legit decent QB.  And Baker Mayfield ain't it.

Mon, Sep 14, 2020 3:04 AM
posted by gut

Sure.  I've heard that argument for most of the past 10 years.  But it's based on projections, not results.  CLE sucks because their fans have seriously overrated the coaches and players for 15+ years.

CLE will never be good until they get a legit decent QB.  And Baker Mayfield ain't it.

No, no you haven't.

Anyone who knows football and has been following the Browns since their return knows this roster is better than any roster they ever had.  Nobody here is overrating players on this roster like Gocong, MoMass, Heiden, Wright, Hardesty, Rubin, Mitchell etc. (way too many to list).  This roster actually has pro bowl talent (source: actual pro bowl selections).  Unfortunately, they have an all-rookie mode attitude. 

You do have a point about Baker.  It doesn't help he has had 4 coaches since being drafted, but if he shows no improvement this season, it is time to move on.  This is year 3, produce results or gtfo. So far he peaked during his rookie season and has not adjusted to the rest of the league adjusting to him. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 10:39 AM

It's the quit in the Browns that irks me.  It is like watching a high school team that is not mature enough to hang in there when the chips are down.  The Browns have been this way for 20 years.  You can turn on the tv, not see the score and know immediately how the team is doing by watching their body language.  It's deeply, deeply ingrained in the culture.  

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 10:44 AM

For me its the realization that we made fun of Tim Couch mercilessly, and he's the best one we've had since the return. We haven't picked a better one in 20 chances. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 10:46 AM

Listening to sports radio this morning is miserable. I can't imagine how bad it will be if they lose on Thursday. I wonder what the line on that game will be. 

Mon, Sep 14, 2020 10:54 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

It's the quit in the Browns that irks me.  It is like watching a high school team that is not mature enough to hang in there when the chips are down.  The Browns have been this way for 20 years.  You can turn on the tv, not see the score and know immediately how the team is doing by watching their body language.  It's deeply, deeply ingrained in the culture.  

I disagree a little bit, and I hit on this a little bit with my rant.  There have been teams where they would fight hard for the entire game, but you knew ultimately they would most likely lose, because they did not have the talent to make plays down the stretch.  It was boring, but they would normally grind out the entire game to make it respectable. If they were "broken," it normally happened somewhere in the 4th quarter.  This current group fucking quits halfway thru the first quarter. Like I said, not even the 1-15 and 0-16 teams did this. 

Mon, Sep 14, 2020 10:58 AM
posted by iclfan2

Listening to sports radio this morning is miserable. I can't imagine how bad it will be if they lose on Thursday. I wonder what the line on that game will be. 

Season is over if the Browns don't go 2-0 the next two weeks.  This isn't a hot take. 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 12:02 PM
posted by iclfan2

Browns by 5.5

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Sep 14, 2020 3:10 PM

What stinks is that the original Browns franchise (the Ravens) is one of the best-run professional franchises in sports.  It's like Modell rises from the grave and administers yet another kick to Cleveland's nutsack every time these two teams play.

Mon, Sep 14, 2020 3:13 PM

Parkey now on the roster. Njoku to ir (can come back after 3 weeks).

Mon, Sep 14, 2020 3:16 PM
posted by iclfan2

Parkey now on the roster. Njoku to ir (can come back after 3 weeks).

Shocker.

ts1227 Senior Member
12,351 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 15, 2020 1:49 PM

Siebert signed with the Bengals, so now we know how the Browns will lose come Thursday...

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 15, 2020 3:27 PM
posted by ts1227

Siebert signed with the Bengals, so now we know how the Browns will lose come Thursday...

Oh brother.  You’re right.  The script is written.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 15, 2020 4:35 PM
posted by ts1227

LOL

Thu, Sep 17, 2020 7:49 PM

So what is the expectation? Browns or Bengals? Big game for Baker.

slingshot4ever Senior Member
4,535 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Sep 17, 2020 7:56 PM

A loss to Baltimore without a preseason is forgivable.  

But a loss tonight will really piss me off.

LETS GO BROWNS!!!

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Sep 17, 2020 8:29 PM

And I’m still wondering how the hell the Bengals won in the last game of last year. ?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login