Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 7:50 PM
posted by QuakerOats

tweet cdc lowered development masking social isolation

Honestly, the standard was too low and every 3 year old preschool kid doesn’t need speech….they’re 3

Ironman92 Administrator
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 7:50 PM
posted by QuakerOats

tweet cdc lowered development masking social isolation

Honestly, the standard was too low and every 3 year old preschool kid doesn’t need speech….they’re 3

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:11 PM
posted by Ironman92

You mean too high? If it was too low and they lowered it that would seem like a problem. I have an almost 2.5 year old and there is no doubt the teachers wearing masks have fucked her speech up. I don’t need studies. I have a 4 year old as well, before you wonder what I’m comparing to. 

Anyone who thinks masks in schools should continue is a retard. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:28 PM
posted by iclfan2

You mean too high? If it was too low and they lowered it that would seem like a problem. I have an almost 2.5 year old and there is no doubt the teachers wearing masks have fucked her speech up. I don’t need studies. I have a 4 year old as well, before you wonder what I’m comparing to. 

If either of your kids had Down syndrome, I doubt you’d be using the word retard to describe those who disagree with you.  

Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:29 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

A father with a kid with Down syndrome would be warranted in smashing your fucking nose up into your head.  You’re either a stupid asshole or a 9 year old masquerading as an adult.  

That almost makes sense. A father with a child with Down syndrome would also be against masks in school. I wasn’t calling kids with disabilities retards. If you’re that offended, anyone who thinks masks should continue in schools is a complete fucking moron. Is that better?

Ironman92 Administrator
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:35 PM
posted by iclfan2

I don’t think kids should be wearing masks.

How did teachers wearing a mask fuck up a 30 month old’s speech?

Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:40 PM
posted by Ironman92

I don’t think kids should be wearing masks.

How did teachers wearing a mask fuck up a 30 month old’s speech?

How are you supposed to learn how to speak if you don’t see lips move? You’re a teacher correct? Seems pretty simple. I can barely understand people speaking behind a mask as an adult. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:55 PM
posted by iclfan2

That almost makes sense. A father with a child with Down syndrome would also be against masks in school. I wasn’t calling kids with disabilities retards. If you’re that offended, anyone who thinks masks should continue in schools is a complete fucking moron. Is that better?

Sorry for my statement.  That was unwarranted.  

Wed, Feb 23, 2022 10:02 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sorry for my statement.  That was unwarranted.  

I get your point, and probably a bad choice of word, but it’s hard to find a word for people who want to continue to destroy children’s education (2 years later!) for their own personal comfort. 

Not sure anyone is allowed to be cordial on here though, so unsure how to criticize you next. Lol

Ironman92 Administrator
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 10:38 PM

I just never knew that schools taught toddlers how to speak.

I agree that kids who NEED speech services need to see the face of the speech pathologist. Our speech pathologist wore a clear shield throughout the mandates.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 8:15 AM
posted by iclfan2

How are you supposed to learn how to speak if you don’t see lips move? You’re a teacher correct? Seems pretty simple. I can barely understand people speaking behind a mask as an adult. 

kids spend less than 1/4 of  a 24 hour day at school, and they dont go to school year round, so no masks did not fuck up your kids speech. But yes requiring masks at school but nowhere else is dumb.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 8:37 AM
posted by Ironman92

I just never knew that schools taught toddlers how to speak.

I agree that kids who NEED speech services need to see the face of the speech pathologist. Our speech pathologist wore a clear shield throughout the mandates.

They don’t, at that age it’s “day care.” My nephew is 2.5, teachers have been masked since the day he went back after initial lockdown. So masked teachers are “normal” as far as his schooling career goes. Also his speech skills are insane for someone at that age.

If your kid’s speech is behind due to masked teachers, it’s time to step it up as a parent. 

Thu, Feb 24, 2022 9:00 AM
posted by geeblock

kids spend less than 1/4 of  a 24 hour day at school, and they dont go to school year round, so no masks did not fuck up your kids speech. But yes requiring masks at school but nowhere else is dumb.

Kids sleep for 11 hours a day at that age. So they’re at daycare for 60-70% of their waking hours. 

I might have exaggerated her speech, she hits all the previous guidelines and teacher says she’s fine, but compared to our older daughter she is lagging (and yes I know you’re not supposed to compare). I don’t think it’s illogical to think that not being able to see lips move and hear things clearly at a place you spend a lot of time from age 5 months to 29 months has a detrimental effect on speech. What’s going to happen to kids with parents who aren’t as involved and read them books every day and practice letters/ words?

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 9:42 AM
posted by iclfan2

I get your point, and probably a bad choice of word, but it’s hard to find a word for people who want to continue to destroy children’s education (2 years later!) for their own personal comfort. 

Not sure anyone is allowed to be cordial on here though, so unsure how to criticize you next. Lol

Abusers / cultural Marxists (two words, I know) / idiots (in education, oxymoron for sure) / ...

geeblock Member
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 9:51 AM
posted by iclfan2

Kids sleep for 11 hours a day at that age. So they’re at daycare for 60-70% of their waking hours. 

I might have exaggerated her speech, she hits all the previous guidelines and teacher says she’s fine, but compared to our older daughter she is lagging (and yes I know you’re not supposed to compare). I don’t think it’s illogical to think that not being able to see lips move and hear things clearly at a place you spend a lot of time from age 5 months to 29 months has a detrimental effect on speech. What’s going to happen to kids with parents who aren’t as involved and read them books every day and practice letters/ words?

assuming they are at home 100 percent of the time on weekends and holidays its probably 1/4 of their time.
Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 9:52 AM
posted by iclfan2

2nd kid often lags behind the first. My daughter was saying “catalogue” at 15 months but my son grunted and pointed until he was 4….scared us even though we knew he was super smart. He’s doing quite well 14 years later.

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 10:36 AM
posted by geeblock

You should know better, that for a lot of kids (especially in low-income districts), school is the only constant interaction they receive.  They either go home to an empty house, or go right to their iPads, video games, TikToks, etc.  Yes, even younger kids.

geeblock Member
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 10:47 AM
posted by ernest_t_bass

You should know better, that for a lot of kids (especially in low-income districts), school is the only constant interaction they receive.  They either go home to an empty house, or go right to their iPads, video games, TikToks, etc.  Yes, even younger kids.

Which is great but as far as time spent..most time is spent out of school.  Stop blaming schools for all of peoples problems is all im saying.

Thu, Feb 24, 2022 10:59 AM
posted by geeblock

Which is great but as far as time spent..most time is spent out of school.  Stop blaming schools for all of peoples problems is all im saying.

No one was blaming a school for anything.

geeblock Member
Thu, Feb 24, 2022 11:13 AM
posted by iclfan2

No one was blaming a school for anything.

there is no doubt the teachers wearing masks have fucked her speech up. I don’t need studies. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login