Covid-19 discussion, continued...

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 22, 2022 1:58 AM

I feel like everyone I know at this point has had Covid? My wife and I still somehow have been lucky or had it without symptoms. 

My office had 3 therapist’s and 2 psychiatrists. Both psychiatrists who only see patients virtually both called around the same time to cancel the rest of their appointments because they were Covid positive today. The therapists work from home about 50% of the time and I’m there every day and we seem to be doing fine but there are only 2-5 in person patients a day and the rest are virtual so we are pretty spread out from one another.  

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Sat, Jan 22, 2022 8:18 AM
posted by sportchampps

I feel like everyone I know at this point has had Covid? My wife and I still somehow have been lucky or had it without symptoms. 

My office had 3 therapist’s and 2 psychiatrists. Both psychiatrists who only see patients virtually both called around the same time to cancel the rest of their appointments because they were Covid positive today. The therapists work from home about 50% of the time and I’m there every day and we seem to be doing fine but there are only 2-5 in person patients a day and the rest are virtual so we are pretty spread out from one another.  

Antibody test will tell you

Fletch Member
Mon, Jan 24, 2022 8:17 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/health/covid-19-researchers-study-long-term-impact-first-round-of-infection-had-on-sense-of-smell

I havent smelled anything for 1.5years.  Looks like I never will again.  Fuck you China

Fletch Member
Mon, Jan 24, 2022 6:00 PM

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/stealth-omicron-new-covid-19-variant-seen-40-countries/6UZ5IK2JSJGSZKDEPE3EYAVYUM/

Damn now its stealth, Friend better quadrupole mask

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 24, 2022 6:24 PM

Just worry about yourself. Another infection and you may never smell your wife nutting again. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 9:45 AM

mass format psychosis right wing conspiracy pool dividers

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 10:44 AM
posted by QuakerOats

mass format psychosis right wing conspiracy pool dividers

I’d bet my money that you and most of the right wing conspiracy theorists had never heard of mass formation psychosis prior to the doctor saying it on Joe Rohan.  Sounds the same as groupthink.  Mindlessly regurgitating the flavor of the week conspiracy sounds like mass formation psychosis.  

Fletch Member
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 11:01 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I’d bet my money that you and most of the right wing conspiracy theorists had never heard of mass formation psychosis prior to the doctor saying it on Joe Rohan.  Sounds the same as groupthink.  Mindlessly regurgitating the flavor of the week conspiracy sounds like mass formation psychosis.  

Of course nobody heard of it till now unless you studied psychology.  There was once a day where you heard things like Google for the first time.  Your argument to discredit something because of how you heard of it is absolutely stupid.

Tue, Jan 25, 2022 11:38 AM
posted by Fletch

Of course nobody heard of it till now unless you studied psychology.  There was once a day where you heard things like Google for the first time.  Your argument to discredit something because of how you heard of it is absolutely stupid.

My point was that the term is bantered about now everywhere by people who don’t even know what it means.  It went from obscurity to common usage in order to disparage the very thing its use implies.  

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 11:53 AM

My point was that the term is bantered about now everywhere by people who don’t even know what it means.  It went from obscurity to common usage in order to disparage the very thing its use implies.  

I just like how people who bring up that term are usually the most guilty of living it. You know, like CC and Quaker when it comes to politics, COVID, etc.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 1:15 PM

Not sure far right conspiracy theories is a big enough group to qualify for "mass formation psychosis".  I think that's more of a "10 years to save the planet from climate change!!!!" kind of thing.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 1:44 PM

Boom ... right on queue 

Tue, Jan 25, 2022 1:48 PM
posted by gut

Not sure far right conspiracy theories is a big enough group to qualify for "mass formation psychosis".  I think that's more of a "10 years to save the planet from climate change!!!!" kind of thing.

Al Gore's crap was much the same.  I think "How dare you" Greta has taken up Al's mantra and now you've got people mindless quoting her as if she's some sort of authority on anything except how to get your ass excused from school for an extended period of time.

Other terms I've heard this way (i.e. Like "mass formation psychosis" in that they have almost an immediate adoption by some group to make a point):

• Gravitas 
  • (White) male privilege
  • Microaggression
  • Fascist
  • Radical

Tue, Jan 25, 2022 1:49 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Boom ... right on queue 

You post this kind of stuff multiple times per day.  I don't respond to it all, but to some.  We're both broken records.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 2:08 PM

Speaking of "mass pyschosis", I wonder how long before we have lockdowns for a new variant which produces no symptoms......oooooh, it's spreading secretly like wildfire and we have to stop it in its track before it mutates again.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 2:09 PM

Personally, I'm never locking down again. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 2:15 PM
posted by Automatik

Reported

Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 2:27 PM
posted by Automatik

Technically, I didn't truly lock down the first time. Had a small handful of friends whom I still visited for beers pretty regularly. Shit, I'm single and live alone -- no way in fuck my entire social life was going to revolve around work!

Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 2:52 PM
posted by gut

Ah, there are a couple that I think qualify by my standards of people I actually know spouting them off -- as opposed to simply seeing wingnuts like CC and Quaker spewing them (or similar ones) here. 

The various "Vaccines don't work" come out in many forms. Social media account + access to certain podcasts = instant online expert!

And the various "Trump really won!" ones. I know people who I interact with and are fun and cool to have drinks with who were all in on those various "on this date, the ball is going to drop and Trump will be kicking Biden out!" rumors that circulated regularly after the change in regime.

Think it's just one of those things where a combination of social media and people wanting something to be one way turns into a perfect storm where all someone has to do is create a wild rumor and circulate it online and a lot of people will take the bait and act like it's set in stone that it has happened, is happening or is about to happen.

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 25, 2022 4:24 PM

Add critical race theory

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login