Covid-19 discussion, continued...

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 9:20 AM
posted by sportchampps

I have got the flu shot twice in my life. Both times now I have got the flu. I got Influenza A after Thanksgiving. It was a extremely runny nose for a couple days (like water coming out of a sink) then a cough I can’t shake. Tested negative for the rona though so there’s that.

The flu was eradicated two years ago.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 11:04 AM

I had the Avian flu in 2005 and it was 10 times worse then Covid i got last year

Fletch Member
Fletch Member
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 12:44 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/health/covid-fat-obesity.html

Shocker!!  Being unhealthy isn’t good?

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 8:33 PM

Our newest neighbors decorated outside for Christmas. Looks really nice, as do the Halloween decorations that are still there too.

Those crazy kids! 

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 8:35 PM

WTF? ^^^^^^^That's supposed to be on the WTF Thread.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 9, 2021 8:51 PM
posted by Gardens35

WTF? ^^^^^^^That's supposed to be on the WTF Thread.

This is kind of a spin off of the wtf thread with all the stupid shit fletch posts. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 163 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 15, 2021 4:26 PM

Positive case breakout in our high school….Super pulled the plug on the last 4 days before break. 2 days remote, 2 days calamity.

Fletch Member
Wed, Dec 15, 2021 8:57 PM

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0aZte37vtFTkYT7b0b04Qz?si=mftJwaxdSrq43B1ebtWlEQ

Everyone needs to listen to this when it comes to Covid.  It will enlighten you about the BS we went through

Fletch Member
Wed, Dec 15, 2021 8:58 PM

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0aZte37vtFTkYT7b0b04Qz?si=mftJwaxdSrq43B1ebtWlEQ

Everyone needs to listen to this when it comes to Covid.  It will enlighten you about the BS we went through

j_crazy 7 gram rocks. how i roll.
8,623 posts 30 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 9:15 AM

not trying to make people shun free thinking, I don't necessarily disagree with the message of this man, but i do think it's worth pointing out some of the science him and his collective have backed in the past. after all the more informed we all are the better we are at forming our opinions and entrenching our beliefs.

but here are just a few things McCollough's AAPS group has sponsored in the past:

HIV doesn't cause AIDS

There are links between vaccines and autism.

Nicotine isn't addictive. Philip Morris executives worked with AAPS executive director Jane Orient to help oppose growing support for indoor smoking bans in the early 2000s.[16] In the fall of 2009, economist Michael Marlow published an article in AAPS' journal arguing that tobacco tax would decrease public health when people "switch to higher tar and nicotine brands as they smoke less."[76]

AAPS opposes abortion and over-the-counter access to emergency contraception. The group claims there is a link between abortion and breast cancer. In the fall 2007 Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Patrick Carroll hypothesized that abortion for women who have never previously given birth to a child is a risk factor that most predicts the likelihood of breast cancer.

Leading up to the 2008 presidential election, AAPS published an article claiming that then-candidate Barack Obama was captivating his audiences through hypnosis. The article was based on an unsigned 67-page paper anonymously published online in Arizona. Obama's speeches were analyzed for neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) techniques, based on the work of 20th century American psychologist Milton Erickson, including "extra slow speech, rhythm, tonalities, vagueness, visual imagery, metaphor, and raising of emotion", as well as the use of the "O" in Obama's logo as a "point of visual fixation".

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 11:36 AM

posted by j_crazy

not trying to make people shun free thinking, I don't necessarily disagree with the message of this man, but i do think it's worth pointing out some of the science him and his collective have backed in the past. after all the more informed we all are the better we are at forming our opinions and entrenching our beliefs.

but here are just a few things McCollough's AAPS group has sponsored in the past:

HIV doesn't cause AIDS

Nicotine isn't addictive. Philip Morris executives worked with AAPS executive director Jane Orient to help oppose growing support for indoor smoking bans in the early 2000s.[16] In the fall of 2009, economist Michael Marlow published an article in AAPS' journal arguing that tobacco tax would decrease public health when people "switch to higher tar and nicotine brands as they smoke less."[76]

AAPS opposes abortion and over-the-counter access to emergency contraception. The group claims there is a link between abortion and breast cancer. In the fall 2007 Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Patrick Carroll hypothesized that abortion for women who have never previously given birth to a child is a risk factor that most predicts the likelihood of breast cancer.

Leading up to the 2008 presidential election, AAPS published an article claiming that then-candidate Barack Obama was captivating his audiences through hypnosis. The article was based on an unsigned 67-page paper anonymously published online in Arizona. Obama's speeches were analyzed for neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) techniques, based on the work of 20th century American psychologist Milton Erickson, including "extra slow speech, rhythm, tonalities, vagueness, visual imagery, metaphor, and raising of emotion", as well as the use of the "O" in Obama's logo as a "point of visual fixation".

I can definitely envision CC deciding this dude was worth following after the whole "Obammy won because he hypnotized people" deal. Always good to know that his 1000th "Gonna get people to see my POV on Teh Rona" post is about as intellectually sound as any of the past 999.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 12:17 PM
posted by j_crazy

HIV doesn't cause AIDS

Never really heard of this group until today, but they sound like real sound logical thinking/reasoning scientific bunch.....

/endsarcasm

Fletch Member
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 12:30 PM
posted by j_crazy

HIV doesn't cause AIDS

A few things:

1.  You do realize that Doctors join and affiliate themselves with as much as possible to bolster their resume?

2.  So with your logic, since I am a member of the OEA (which is a sub member of the NEA)....I must be a die hard liberal.  

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 1:24 PM

Counterpoints:

1. If you're a doctor who is affiliating yourself with whack-job organizations to bolster your resume, that probably says a lot about you and your stances.

2. If you actually think that being a random educator who is part of a teacher's union says anything about your personal political beliefs because said union leans one way – especially as a comparison to a so-called medical professional being affiliated with a whack-job organization — well, uh, to best put it, you suck at making arguments that actually support anything you're trying to say.

j_crazy 7 gram rocks. how i roll.
8,623 posts 30 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 1:44 PM
posted by Fletch

A few things:

1.  You do realize that Doctors join and affiliate themselves with as much as possible to bolster their resume?

2.  So with your logic, since I am a member of the OEA (which is a sub member of the NEA)....I must be a die hard liberal.  

I don't think you read my post. I also don't think you researched who that man is. Which is why i posted what i posted. All i'm saying is you can agree with his endgame message (personally i do) but i'm not married to the science he's using to come to that conclusion because it seems married to a specific result and inflating any minute finding that correlates to that result in any roundabout way. 

Fletch Member
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 4:53 PM
posted by j_crazy

I don't think you read my post. I also don't think you researched who that man is. Which is why i posted what i posted. All i'm saying is you can agree with his endgame message (personally i do) but i'm not married to the science he's using to come to that conclusion because it seems married to a specific result and inflating any minute finding that correlates to that result in any roundabout way. 

The science he is using is coming from large pools of data from other countries that point to the fact that our medical environment here in the US totally fucked this up.  

The specific results are specific to the results, not what he wants the outcome to be based on other factors
Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 5:12 PM
posted by Fletch

The science he is using is coming from large pools of data from other countries that point to the fact that our medical environment here in the US totally fucked this up.  

The specific results are specific to the results, not what he wants the outcome to be based on other factors

Our actions in the US are not dissimilar to elsewhere.  Why did our actions "fuck this up"?

Fletch Member
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 7:33 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Our actions in the US are not dissimilar to elsewhere.  Why did our actions "fuck this up"?

Multiple reasons but the political positions made on therapeutics is #1.  We are at year 2 and have plenty of evidence about meds that keep people from the ICU and we aren’t using them in mass

Fletch Member
Thu, Dec 16, 2021 7:35 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/politics/medication-abortion-fda-supreme-court/index.html

We can now get abortion pills in the mail but I can’t get anti virals from my doctor

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login