Covid-19 discussion, continued...

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 23, 2021 3:20 PM

My niece is a nurse. She got her second shot around 7-8PM. She woke up that night very dizzy and went to the restroom. While walking in she passed out and hit her head pretty hard and cut her nose. She felt like shit for about 36 hours and then was better but she said she was dizzy, had head and body aches, and extremely tired. 

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 23, 2021 4:14 PM

Negative for antibodies. Dammit.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 6:52 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Everyone I’ve talked to said they felt like trash for a day or two after getting the second the vaccine. 

I have been hearing this as well.   Pfizer or Moderna. 

Sun, Jan 24, 2021 6:54 AM
posted by Automatik

Negative for antibodies. Dammit.

What king of blood type do you have?  There's some early research that says O negative blood is linked to lower COVID risks. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 8:42 PM
posted by like_that

What king of blood type do you have?  There's some early research that says O negative blood is linked to lower COVID risks. 

Anecdotal... but my wife was sick last February. Tested negative for flu (they weren’t giving covid tests then yet) and a week later I got sick albeit very mild compared to hers.

She tested positive for antibodies and I tested negative. I’m type o-. I have a hard time believing she got it and I didn’t. Who knows though. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 9:03 PM
posted by kizer permanente

She tested positive for antibodies and I tested negative. I’m type o-. I have a hard time believing she got it and I didn’t. Who knows though.

That's a long time for antibodies to still show in a test.  All I've seen is they believe it persists for at least 4 months.  And if you have t-cells, you may still have immunity without antibodies present.  And the more mild the case, the less antibodies you probably had and the quicker they went away.

So it's possible you also did have Covid.  But who knows if you still have immunity.  Or your wife, for that matter, if she still has enough antibodies to be immune.

Sun, Jan 24, 2021 9:05 PM
posted by gut

That's a long time for antibodies to still show in a test.  All I've seen is they believe it persists for at least 4 months.  And if you have t-cells, you may still have immunity without antibodies present.  And the more mild the case, the less antibodies you probably had and the quicker they went away.

So it's possible you also did have Covid.  But who knows if you still have immunity.  Or your wife, for that matter, if she still has enough antibodies to be immune.

Sorry that was terribly worded. We both took the antibody test back in may of last year. So about 3 months later. 

gut Senior Member
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 9:21 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Sorry that was terribly worded. We both took the antibody test back in may of last year. So about 3 months later.

Do you happen to remember the false positive and false negative rates of the test?  Most of those early antibody tests weren't very good.  One or two were.

I'd agree it's probably unlikely for your wife to have it and not you.  You may have had a false negative, or you might have had some natural immunity from other coronaviruses in the past and never actually caught it.

Sun, Jan 24, 2021 9:34 PM
posted by gut

Do you happen to remember the false positive and false negative rates of the test?  Most of those early antibody tests weren't very good.  One or two were.

I'd agree it's probably unlikely for your wife to have it and not you.  You may have had a false negative, or you might have had some natural immunity from other coronaviruses in the past and never actually caught it.

I don’t remember those specifics. I know it was a blood draw test and not the finger prick. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 9:51 PM

I don’t think anything about the virus makes much sense. You think you have something in particular figured out and someone has a story of the opposite.

There’s a lot of truth to the type A blood doing worse. Vitamin D deficiency, age (>50), and obesity especially seem to also do people in. 

Mon, Jan 25, 2021 10:04 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

I don’t think anything about the virus makes much sense. You think you have something in particular figured out and someone has a story of the opposite.

There’s a lot of truth to the type A blood doing worse. Vitamin D deficiency, age (>50), and obesity especially seem to also do people in. 

Right. And my uncle who is pushing 300lbs, diabetic, 59 years old had mild symptoms lol. It makes no sense. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 25, 2021 10:21 PM

They’ve mastered the drive thru (local news story).

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jan 25, 2021 11:31 PM
posted by iclfan2

They’ve mastered the drive thru (local news story).

I swear Chick-fil-A drive thrus are pretty damn slow.  I'm not sure why, because obviously they have the designs and manpower, but those lines barely seem to move.  I don't know, maybe they don't use heat lamps and so they need those 10 minutes to prepare your food.  The app is nice, though - so much faster than waiting in line, especially if you can put the order in a couple minutes before pulling in.

Now Wendy's, THEY know drive thrus....so damn fast I don't even have time to pull out my wallet after speaking my order into the speaker.  And I've experienced this at several Wendy's - you can practically roll thru without ever coming to a complete stop.

Tue, Jan 26, 2021 6:52 AM

California and Chicago are magically deciding based on their arbitrary standards, that  it’s time to reopen up (even though they aren’t doing any better).  I’m old enough to remember when people scoffed at the idea that the Government would do this after the new president came in.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jan 26, 2021 9:38 AM
posted by gut

I swear Chick-fil-A drive thrus are pretty damn slow.  I'm not sure why, because obviously they have the designs and manpower, but those lines barely seem to move.  I don't know, maybe they don't use heat lamps and so they need those 10 minutes to prepare your food.  The app is nice, though - so much faster than waiting in line, especially if you can put the order in a couple minutes before pulling in.

Now Wendy's, THEY know drive thrus....so damn fast I don't even have time to pull out my wallet after speaking my order into the speaker.  And I've experienced this at several Wendy's - you can practically roll thru without ever coming to a complete stop.

I don't know where you live. Down here in Alabama, Chick fil A is a well-oiled machine. They always have at least twice the volume of every other day food shop in the area and they still move it through quickly with no errors. 

My experience with Wendy's is opposite of yours. In my opinion, the further you get from Columbus, Ohio, the worse the Wendy's. If I'm outside of Ohio, I skip Wendy's. Otherwise you can count on dirty restaurant, slow drive thru, screwed up order and heat lamp hard burgers. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Jan 26, 2021 10:49 AM
posted by gut

this has to be trolling

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 26, 2021 11:18 AM

If I remember correctly, my wife is set to get her first dose on Saturday morning.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law both got theirs in the last 3-4 weeks. My MIL works at a VA, so if a surplus dose comes available and is near-tossing, she'll get it for me.

I think I'm one of the last 100,000 people in the US to get it. HA!

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 26, 2021 11:54 AM

Wear 2 masks.

Tue, Jan 26, 2021 3:05 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I don't know where you live. Down here in Alabama, Chick fil A is a well-oiled machine. They always have at least twice the volume of every other day food shop in the area and they still move it through quickly with no errors. 

My experience with Wendy's is opposite of yours. In my opinion, the further you get from Columbus, Ohio, the worse the Wendy's. If I'm outside of Ohio, I skip Wendy's. Otherwise you can count on dirty restaurant, slow drive thru, screwed up order and heat lamp hard burgers. 

I’m with him. I’m in a suburb of Columbus and I could wait in CFA line that has 4x as many cars at least twice before I could get thru my local Wendy’s line with 2 cars. 

CFA is also usually ran well because the owner is required to work on site 40 hours a week while places like Wendy’s are just investments owners hardly ever  visit.

Tue, Jan 26, 2021 3:09 PM

My wife was exposed on Friday. She got a test today and should get results sometime tomorrow. So far we dont have any symptoms. If she tests positive I will go get a rapid test. We did order Zinc and Vitamin D pills. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login