Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 11:22 AM

Sa this online:

About 60% of nursing home staff have so far elected not to take the vaccine, DeWine said.

"We aren’t going to make them but we wish they had a higher compliance," he said. "Our message today is the train may not be coming back for a while.”
kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 2:33 PM

Neighbor of mine growing up and guy I used to go to the gym with  killed himself in his car last night. I only put this here bc people have mentioned the mental health toll the pandemic takes. He was always a little off but nice person nonetheless. Super into working out and body building. Not sure I expected him to kill himself as much effort as he put into himself but I know mental health doesn’t care about your hobbies. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 3:15 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Neighbor of mine growing up and guy I used to go to the gym with  killed himself in his car last night. I only put this here bc people have mentioned the mental health toll the pandemic takes. He was always a little off but nice person nonetheless. Super into working out and body building. Not sure I expected him to kill himself as much effort as he put into himself but I know mental health doesn’t care about your hobbies. 

Sorry man

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 3:59 PM

How sad.  And on New Year’s Eve.

To back you up, Kizer, my neurologist told me that the most stunning thing he has seen lately is that many survivors of the Covid are going “mad”.  It’s a very serious situation. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 4:24 PM
posted by BRF

How sad.  And on New Year’s Eve.

To back you up, Kizer, my neurologist told me that the most stunning thing he has seen lately is that many survivors of the Covid are going “mad”.  It’s a very serious situation. 

Going "mad" as in how? Medicine side effects, the disease having some sort of strange effect on peoples' brains or something else?

BRF Senior Member
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 4:46 PM
posted by Heretic

Going "mad" as in how? Medicine side effects, the disease having some sort of strange effect on peoples' brains or something else?

Mad as in insane from effects caused by the disease on the brain.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 4:58 PM
posted by BRF

Mad as in insane from effects caused by the disease on the brain.

Damn, that's something I wouldn't have even considered. When I think the mental effects of the disease, I've mainly thought about things like going stir-crazy or having a relative in a nursing home or hospital whom you can't visit due to rules or the other personal stress factors.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 5:00 PM

China really made a whopper out of this virus.

As for the mental part, the fear around this thing is worse then the actual infection.  

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 5:01 PM
posted by kizer permanente

This is terrible.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 1, 2021 7:27 PM

Yeah suicide seems to be on the rise again. A good friends sister in law killed her self last week. She had attempted in a couple times before but this time it worked. She literally did everything she could before her death. She transferred everything to the people she wanted then left instructions for everything else. The sad part is she told her parents in the note she didn’t want any funeral or ceremony and no obituary or Facebook announcements. She basically wants her parents to hold it in internally. 

Also had another friend who sister in law went to Vegas and killed herself i. A room at the flamingo. Same deal left notes for everybody with instructions and even a note to the maid who found her saying she was sorry. 

With Covid and Holidays keeping people apart we all need to do our best to check in on friends and family. 

Sat, Jan 2, 2021 4:44 AM

Depression and suicide were a big issue in the US prior to COVID, so I am not shocked COVID is making it worse.  

I place a lot of the blame on media and social media.  

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 3, 2021 2:07 AM

Wanted to share an experience from work since it relates to what a couple other people here were saying recently.

Elderly man comes in tonight with stomach bleed. Initially he’s okay, talking with us. He said his Christmas was quiet and low-key, just stayed home with wife because of everything going on. Didn’t even have his kids over.

Couple hours later he suffers a heart attack and dies.

It sucks. I remember people on here saying they were going to have family over despite the warnings because you just never know how much time you have left. 

Sun, Jan 3, 2021 5:50 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Wanted to share an experience from work since it relates to what a couple other people here were saying recently.

Elderly man comes in tonight with stomach bleed. Initially he’s okay, talking with us. He said his Christmas was quiet and low-key, just stayed home with wife because of everything going on. Didn’t even have his kids over.

Couple hours later he suffers a heart attack and dies.

It sucks. I remember people on here saying they were going to have family over despite the warnings because you just never know how much time you have left. 

Is stomach bleed a COVID symptom, or this is just a story in general to spend time for your family?

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 3, 2021 6:42 AM
posted by like_that

Is stomach bleed a COVID symptom, or this is just a story in general to spend time for your family?

My anecdote wasn’t very well worded. The point was that I don’t think you can be blamed for wanting to spend time with family and disregard the guidelines, or get together while still trying to be safe. You never know what tomorrow brings. Others on here had said something  similar when it came to spending time with family during the holidays.

Sun, Jan 3, 2021 8:23 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

My anecdote wasn’t very well worded. The point was that I don’t think you can be blamed for wanting to spend time with family and disregard the guidelines, or get together while still trying to be safe. You never know what tomorrow brings. Others on here had said something  similar when it came to spending time with family during the holidays.

I figured that was your point, I was just seeking clarification.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 5:08 PM
posted by Fletch

China really made a whopper out of this virus.

As for the mental part, the fear around this thing is worse then the actual infection.  

Agree ..........on both counts

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 7:25 PM

So the UK decided to halve the doses for people under 50 (there's apparently some research supporting that).  And then pushing out the second dose to 3 months instead of 3 weeks, which wasn't trialed.

That seems like big choices that really should have been, you know, studied in a controlled trial to determine efficacy.

Saw where the first dose of Pfizer's is 91% protection, which if true makes the choice to set aside the second doses even dumber.  Not that it matters because our state govts are apparently too incompetent to roll out a mass vaccination program.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 7:28 PM
posted by gut

So the UK decided to halve the doses for people under 50 (there's apparently some research supporting that).  And then pushing out the second dose to 3 months instead of 3 weeks, which wasn't trialed.

That seems like big choices that really should have been, you know, studied in a controlled trial to determine efficacy.

Saw where the first dose of Pfizer's is 91% protection, which if true makes the choice to set aside the second doses even dumber.  Not that it matters because our state govts are apparently too incompetent to roll out a mass vaccination program.

Hadn’t seen any of those stats about single dose.  

Could just offer free antibody testing after first dose to possibly save doses for others.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 12:09 PM

Leo Murder |  WHEN YOU'RE IN COURT FOR MURDER BUT THE VICTIM HAD COVID IN THE LAST 28 DAYS | image tagged in memes,laughing leo,funny memes,too funny,covid19,covid | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

BRF Senior Member
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 5:35 PM

Going back a little bit to what my neurologist told me about Covid effects on the brain and mental health, my new AARP magazine has an article by Sanjay Gupta that backs it up. 

https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2020/brain-health-risks-covid19

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login