Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 12:44 PM

I always chuckle at the "big city" opinions of keyboard warriors who know fuck all about being/living in NYC.  (That goes for other places that constantly get bashed.)

Is it perfect? No. Have we been through some fucked up times? Absolutely. 

But the doomsday scenarios that people love to believe are simply untrue.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 12:48 PM
posted by Automatik

I always chuckle at the "big city" opinions of keyboard warriors who know fuck all about being/living in NYC.  (That goes for other places that constantly get bashed.)

Is it perfect? No. Have we been through some fucked up times? Absolutely. 

But the doomsday scenarios that people love to believe are simply untrue.

I have heard from a lot of inside sauces, that NYC has been quite the ghost town.  Can you confirm? 

Automatik Senior Member
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Somewhat, specifically Manhattan.

It's just weird. My close friends own/operate a flower shop in Midtown/Herald Square area. I was there last week, it was dead.

Times Square too, it's usually chaos 24/7/365. Those places are usually even more crazy during the holidays. It's significantly slower.

I know so many people who've left the city, I've lost count. Either just temporarily or permanent. When able to work from anywhere, I cant blame them. If could to get out of my lease, I'd be gone.

Thu, Dec 3, 2020 12:55 PM
posted by Automatik

Somewhat, specifically Manhattan.

It's just weird. My close friends own/operate a flower shop in Midtown/Herald Square area. I was there last week, it was dead.

Times Square too, it's usually chaos 24/7/365. Those places are usually even more crazy during the holidays. It's significantly slower.

I know so many people who've left the city, I've lost count. Either just temporarily or permanent. When able to work from anywhere, I cant blame them. If could to get out of my lease, I'd be gone.

I know a lot a people like this too.  It seems like a lot of rental prices are going down though.  It could be a great time for you to jump on that.
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 12:56 PM

Also, did anyone bring up the fact the UK approved Pfizer's vaccine?  I feel like that is good news to share. 

Automatik Senior Member
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 12:58 PM

Yes, insane deals are to be had. Last I heard it's a 15 year low in rent average. I see apartments in more desirable areas that are less than where I'm currently at. It pisses me off. 

I'm locked in until June. I'm not getting into another lease until I'm sure NYC will "be back." I'm guessing it will be longer than that...maybe 2022.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 4:51 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Couple of the breweries around me are ramping their delivery system back up and just closed their taprooms Monday through Thursday. Wonder how much longer they can go on. 

7th Son in Columbus has to be on the verge of going under. They are selling beer bonds. You pay $100 and in July of 2021 you can redeem it for $200 they also offer $50 for $75. I’m guessing this is a last resort attempt to stay afloat. If 7th Son is struggling I have to guess most of the breweries in Columbus are feeling the heat.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 8:09 PM

Did anyone see the Garcetti sound bit.....”it’s time to cancel everything.”

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 10:38 PM

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/i-smell-smoke-foul-unexplained-scents-linked-to-coronavirus-say-lakeland-doctors/

This has been spot on for me. I’ve been smelling cigarettes for months despite not knowing anyone that smokes. 

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 10:43 PM
posted by like_that

I have heard from a lot of inside sauces, that NYC has been quite the ghost town.  Can you confirm? 

I chuckled.....Inside Sources with NYC accent = Inside Sauces.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 3, 2020 11:17 PM
posted by Gardens35

I chuckled.....Inside Sources with NYC accent = Inside Sauces.

Only you........(and me.......who didn’t want to point it out) 😎

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 10:50 AM

Ohio dept of health reports 93% mask compliance.

WTF.....they obviously dont work.

Spock Senior Member
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 10:58 AM

Also see where they will be passing out vaccination cards when you get your shots.

Guarantee that you wont be able to go to sporting events, concerts, maybe indoor dining with a card.  BS.

Fri, Dec 4, 2020 10:59 AM

Leading infection control expert and medical doctor Spock with the drop in. Always a treat. 

Spock Senior Member
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 11:01 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Leading infection control expert and medical doctor Spock with the drop in. Always a treat. 

yada yada yada.....do you have anything of worth to add to this?  Prove me wrong.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 11:12 AM

“without”?

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 11:14 AM
posted by Spock

Are you really this stupid, or do you play it up online? Serious question.

Fri, Dec 4, 2020 11:15 AM

Prove what wrong? There’s a 93% compliance at businesses they can go in and observe. There’s no outbreaks from gas stations and Meijer. It’s all from private gatherings. And I’m gonna trust myself on this one over you because I see and talk to Covid patients every day. The story is all the same. “Got together with friends or family, someone had Covid? No one knew. Now I’m sitting here unable to catch my breath.”

I don’t know why people like you get so uptight about this. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 11:48 AM
posted by Spock

I have only seen four peer reviewed medical journal published studies that indicate that mask use does not significantly alter a standard deviation from effectiveness   

Do they work?  Probably not, maybe slightly   

Will I wear one to put at ease the employees of the business I am entering?  Absolutely, it is worth it so they don't have anxiety about customers giving them the virus

Will I wear one while trail running in the outdoors or at a relatives house?  No

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Dec 4, 2020 11:59 AM
posted by Spock

It's not an either/or circumstance.  Masks lessen the chances, they don't prevent.  If Ohio has a certain mask compliance rate, that means if the rate were lower, there could be a higher incidence of COVID, that's all.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login