Covid-19 discussion, continued...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 7:57 AM
posted by like_that

I hate this argument, because the premise is parents send their kids to school for "childcare."  Yeah, there are definitely shitty parents that use school as a daycare system, but most parents aren't sending little billy to school with the expectation that he doesn't learn anything.  There is a reason why parents are paying property taxes.  I also hate this argument, because it assumes that the US is the only country that has this societal structure.  Look at the majority of first world countries.  Most parents are banking on schools to educate their kids, while the parents make money to support their family.  The are also paying taxes to have this need provided to them. This structure isn't exclusive to the US.  

If schools are going to insist on keeping kids at home and as a result keeping parents home (aka taking away a source of their income), then all of these parents should be getting a refund on their property taxes.  Allow the parents to invest in their Children's education. 

But it’s the reason this can’t work during a pandemic. It’s also the reason flu gets out of control during flu season. Parents send their kids sick to school all of the time for this reason. They have to work and can’t do anything else about it. You don’t think parents are sending their kids to school with covid for the same reasons? 

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 10:53 AM
posted by kizer permanente

But it’s the reason this can’t work during a pandemic. It’s also the reason flu gets out of control during flu season. Parents send their kids sick to school all of the time for this reason. They have to work and can’t do anything else about it. You don’t think parents are sending their kids to school with covid for the same reasons? 

There is truth to this.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 10:58 AM

But it’s the reason this can’t work during a pandemic. It’s also the reason flu gets out of control during flu season.

That's why we need more paid sick leave for parents!!!!   [/sarca font]

But when does a light bulb go on with all these people out of work that "hey! maybe we can offer better unemployment benefits and utilize people looking for work that have already had Covid"

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 2:16 PM

Went back and re-read the first few pages of this thread from early April. Some good lulz back then.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 2:26 PM
posted by justincredible

Went back and re-read the first few pages of this thread from early April. Some good lulz back then.

I had a plumber the other day, and while he's writing up my bill on the TV they were talking about Covid deaths.  And he went full QO with "yeah, someone's in the hospital dying of cancer for a month, and then they get Covid guess what the cause of death is?".

So then I have to quickly ponder what the best response is to get him out of my house.  Do I say "yeah right?", and appear to by a sympathizer and risk him further engaging in dialogue?  Do I say "oh, didn't know that", and risk having him attempt to educate me?  I went with a knowing nod, and that did just the trick.

It was just a matter-of-fact current state of affairs report, and the dude was triggered.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:00 PM
posted by justincredible

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/521686-the-coming-weeks-will-be-darkest-of-the-entire-pandemic

Bet they won't be.

Yeah, I saw this interview on MTP and thought wow, that is an irresponsible thing to say without actual evidence. 

Sure the hospitalizations are ticking up, but to state this will be the darkest time is pretty irresponsible.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:29 PM
posted by justincredible

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/521686-the-coming-weeks-will-be-darkest-of-the-entire-pandemic

Bet they won't be.

This is about the 4th or 5th "the next week will be the worst" since this started.  One week is April was supposed to be, according the surgeon general "the worst week in the history of the country".  At this point, a lot of people respond "Oh really?  That's interesting.  Well, off to work."

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:32 PM

This is a fair point.  I did not consider this.  As much as I would like to think parents would be responsible not to send their COVID child to school, I don't it would happen at every school. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 21, 2020 3:37 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Hell no. And if you're in favor of healthy people playing sports if they desire, it means you're pro-death and filled with hate and stupidity. 

I cannot imagine how miserable a person Christine Brennan is. 

Amen

...the goal is to get rid of football, because it involves some level of masculinity.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Oct 21, 2020 3:41 PM

25% of high schoolers in los angelos county don’t graduate high school. So it seems like in person isn’t very great either huh? 

But let's give them more money, so we can purchase more functional illiteracy.

Makes perfect sense.

Wed, Oct 21, 2020 4:26 PM
posted by QuakerOats

But let's give them more money, so we can purchase more functional illiteracy.

Makes perfect sense.

Someone doesn’t understand how school funding and performance ratings work  

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 21, 2020 11:28 PM

Hamilton county in danger of going from red to purple next week, which means severe spread and exposure. Only go out if necessary, and DeWine said he was unsure about further stay at home mandates. 

I don’t think anyone will listen to stay at home mandates. They can obviously close businesses but people will continue doing what they want with gatherings and such. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Oct 21, 2020 11:40 PM
posted by like_that

This is a fair point.  I did not consider this.  As much as I would like to think parents would be responsible not to send their COVID child to school, I don't it would happen at every school. 

You can’t send a Covid kid to school right now.  

Schools are hypersensitive right now. A kid shows any symptoms they get sent home and can’t come back without a negative test.

Our district just had 1 kid in JH come down with jt and they shut the whole JH home for a week to “extra sanitize” the building and the kids that sat near the student in any class has to self quarantine for 14 days.

And each child in the school has to wear a mask at all times and they carry around their own plexiglass shields the size of poster boards.

So two masks and two plexiglass boards between the students and they STILL have the kids that sit next to the positive case stay home for 2 weeks.

I know for sure that in normal school years what Kizer said about kids getting sent to school with cold/flu definitely happens.

It’s really hard for that to happen this year at any school that is actually open and has kids in it. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 2:04 AM
posted by jmog

Schools are hypersensitive right now. A kid shows any symptoms they get sent home and can’t come back without a negative test.

Our district just had 1 kid in JH come down with jt and they shut the whole JH home for a week to “extra sanitize” the building and the kids that sat near the student in any class has to self quarantine for 14 days.

And each child in the school has to wear a mask at all times and they carry around their own plexiglass shields the size of poster boards.

So two masks and two plexiglass boards between the students and they STILL have the kids that sit next to the positive case stay home for 2 weeks.

I know for sure that in normal school years what Kizer said about kids getting sent to school with cold/flu definitely happens.

It’s really hard for that to happen this year at any school that is actually open and has kids in it. 

It can  be nearly impossible, but he’s not wrong that there will be some piece of shit parents out there knowingly try to send their kids to school with COVID.  That’s probably the one good argument that made me pause, but overall imo schools should be opening up or the tax payer should be getting a refund.

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 8:08 AM
posted by jmog

Eh I disagree. Good friends of ours sent their kid to school basically knowingly. She tested positive for covid earlier in the year in March. Her husband tested positive later in October. Their son threw up a couple times but had no fever. They took him to his doctor and he ordered him a test. They sent him to school knowing someone on the family is positive and he threw up but hadn’t had his test yet. It came back positive. His football team had to quarantine and forfeit their playoff game bc of being around him. People do dumb shit all the time. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:31 AM

Someone doesn’t understand how school funding and performance ratings work  

Someone can't do a cost/benefit analysis.

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:43 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Someone can't do a cost/benefit analysis.

Only 🤡 think they can apply a cost benefit analysis to education since most of the benefits are intangible and can’t be monetized. But I’m sure you knew that. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 22, 2020 9:53 AM

My wife is the superintendent’s secretary and she just messaged me to bring my chrome book home.....her boss must have a strong feeling.

I hope DeWine doesn’t do it again. Wait a couple weeks. My school district has ZERO cases.

Edit: never mind just my wife’s premonition 🤦🏻‍♂️

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login