Covid-19 discussion, continued...

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 2:33 PM
posted by Spock

Did you type that while you could see your reflection in the computer monitor?

I wasn't particularly looking for my reflection, so I can't say that I did. But thanks for your concern.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 3:55 PM

Northeast Ohio having a banner day, Elyria Catholic gonna forfeit the football and volleyball playoffs, Cleveland schools gonna not have winter sports and remain "virtual", well done

I see Sweden is suffering from the herd immunity theory, shame on them

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 4:11 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

Northeast Ohio having a banner day, Elyria Catholic gonna forfeit the football and volleyball playoffs, Cleveland schools gonna not have winter sports and remain "virtual", well done

Wait... people believe Sweden has herd immunity? 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 4:59 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

What a total joke.  The kids that attend Cleveland schools are a socioeconomic segment that has no business being told to go virtual.  God knows how many of those kids have access to high speed wifi or anyone in the house to supervise the younger one.  This is criminal.  They are stealing from these children because of something that will have almost zero effect on them.  

This is the mentality that drives communities to fail.  What a sad, sad state of affairs.  

Hitler's looking up from hell and thinking, "I shoulda waited 80 more years.  I coulda taken these wimps in no time."

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 6:39 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What a total joke.  The kids that attend Cleveland schools are a socioeconomic segment that has no business being told to go virtual.  God knows how many of those kids have access to high speed wifi or anyone in the house to supervise the younger one.  This is criminal.  They are stealing from these children because of something that will have almost zero effect on them.  

This is the mentality that drives communities to fail.  What a sad, sad state of affairs.  

Hitler's looking up from hell and thinking, "I shoulda waited 80 more years.  I coulda taken these wimps in no time."

Lol you must really like this one huh? 
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 7:56 PM
posted by kizer permanente
Lol you must really like this one huh? 

I hate that schools like this - whose students can least afford it - go virtual without even trying. What an example to set for these kids early in their lives. "First sign of trouble, don't try to figure a way through. Run to the hills."

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 8:05 PM

I hate that schools like this - whose students can least afford it - go virtual without even trying. What an example to set for these kids early in their lives. "First sign of trouble, don't try to figure a way through. Run to the hills."

Well I mean it is a pandemic. This isn’t typical life we’re in. I get that you don’t agree but it doesn’t mean you’re right and they’re wrong either. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of great options. 
Fab4Runner Tits McGee
6,997 posts 64 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 8:27 PM

This is them trying to find a way through...
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 9:16 PM
Well I mean it is a pandemic. This isn’t typical life we’re in. I get that you don’t agree but it doesn’t mean you’re right and they’re wrong either. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of great options. 

Going to school full time is a great option. With the option to go virtual if someone is high risk. It's happening all over the place very successfully. 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 9:19 PM
posted by Fab4Runner
This is them trying to find a way through...

No. This is not trying. They are educators. Funding a way through would mean bringing students into the classroom to be taught (especially now when it's being done successfully in countless other districts).  If problems then come up, there is always the option of then altering the format or moving to virtual. That is what giving it a try means. These kids will have lost at least an entire school year when it's all said and done. 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 9:47 PM

No. This is not trying. They are educators. Funding a way through would mean bringing students into the classroom to be taught (especially now when it's being done successfully in countless other districts).  If problems then come up, there is always the option of then altering the format or moving to virtual. That is what giving it a try means. These kids will have lost at least an entire school year when it's all said and done. 

You say they’re educators like they’re fire fighters or cops or secret service. There’s not an inherent life or death risk as an educator. I mean I guess in America there is since we love shooting schools up. But in normal worlds societies, you’re there to teach children. Not sacrifice yourself. You say “when things go bad” ... when things go bad for some teachers that means they die.   Again... this is pandemic. This isn’t normal life.  I get you dgaf about it.... but it doesn’t make you right. 

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Oct 16, 2020 9:55 PM

Weird that CDC is reporting of 2.4% infection rate and various studies are showing about 20% of random test subjects show antibodies, this exposure rate is not adding up

Oh well, Cleveland youth is better off remote learning away from peers and school activities, those students probably have a good chance of infections becoming serious 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 10:02 PM

You say they’re educators like they’re fire fighters or cops or secret service. There’s not an inherent life or death risk as an educator. I mean I guess in America there is since we love shooting schools up. But in normal worlds societies, you’re there to teach children. Not sacrifice yourself. You say “when things go bad” ... when things go bad for some teachers that means they die.   Again... this is pandemic. This isn’t normal life.  I get you dgaf about it.... but it doesn’t make you right. 

Teachers are no different then all the other professions that are going out and interacting with others currently. They risk their lives driving to school every morning just like the rest of us do. There are tens of thousands of them back in the classroom and they're not "dying".  They're not heading off to the front lines on the battlefield. If individually they are high risk, exceptions are being made at every single open school I've read about. 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 10:11 PM

Teachers are no different then all the other professions that are going out and interacting with others currently. They risk their lives driving to school every morning just like the rest of us do. There are tens of thousands of them back in the classroom and they're not "dying".  They're not heading off to the front lines on the battlefield. If individually they are high risk, exceptions are being made at every single open school I've read about. 

Literally everyone I know than can work remotely is working remotely Or they’re choosing not to. Every past place I’ve worked has people working remotely who are able to still. You act like everyone’s just back to it. That’s not the case. Hell I teach labs at a college and I’m there 2 days a week instead of 5.. It’s not back to normal. It’s not full speed ahead. 

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Oct 17, 2020 12:13 AM

Honestly at this point I’m living my life while wearing a mask and keeping 6’ . I will have been to Vegas 3 times after the next week since Covid became a thing. I’ve been fine the first two times and hopefully will be okay a third time. I also go out with a friend or a couple friends to a bar every weekend. I respect everyone decisions but I think we should have the freedom to choose how we deal with the virus

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Oct 17, 2020 1:13 AM

I’ve worked 250+ hours on the Covid floor at work and another few hundred in the ER where you’re unknowingly exposed often. My wife has worked dozens of hours on the Covid floor at her work. I feel like everyone in my house has had it already or been exposed plenty. 

Sat, Oct 17, 2020 8:31 AM

Literally everyone I know than can work remotely is working remotely Or they’re choosing not to. Every past place I’ve worked has people working remotely who are able to still. You act like everyone’s just back to it. That’s not the case. Hell I teach labs at a college and I’m there 2 days a week instead of 5.. It’s not back to normal. It’s not full speed ahead. 

There are a lot of jobs that can't work remotely. Teaching is one. If a teacher is high risk, they can stay remote. But schools should be open with kids there. Is there a risk of transmission?  Of course. A lot of people face that everyday. But acting like school is a uniquely risky environment is not right. 

Sat, Oct 17, 2020 10:10 AM

There are a lot of jobs that can't work remotely. Teaching is one. If a teacher is high risk, they can stay remote. But schools should be open with kids there. Is there a risk of transmission?  Of course. A lot of people face that everyday. But acting like school is a uniquely risky environment is not right. 

They can tho. 
Sat, Oct 17, 2020 10:12 AM
They can tho. 

Yes, they literally can - that's not what I meant. I mean that they can't do the job effectively that way. Teaching kids has to be in person if it's going to be effective. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Oct 17, 2020 12:07 PM

What moron in charge thought the age for wearing a mask should start at 2? No, my 2.5 year old is not putting a mask on, you can try, but it’s not gonna happen. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login