Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 8, 2022 5:37 PM
posted by majorspark

Radical? Outside the norm?  Where in nature is killing your offspring the norm?  

It's quite interesting to see the law in other very progressive countries.  Canada has no restrictions, but in actual effect it's essentially 24 weeks.  In France it's 15 weeks.  UK is 24 weeks.

I'm sure there have been more than a few times in the past 45 years you might have gotten 60 votes for a similar policy.  But today would you have even 40 or 45 Dems agree to such a "compromise"?

Hopefully the dust settles relatively quickly and people realize maybe this isn't such a big deal.  Again, a study determined this might reduce abortions 15%.  And given it's pro choice roots, that number is probably at least double what it would be (before even considering charitable organizations that would step in to help women where it's illegal).

Seriously worried this will be the justification for eliminating the filibuster and packing the SCOTUS.  But that's probably inevitable unless voters start electing adults again.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 8, 2022 5:41 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I don't think you grasp the debate in the statehouse.

Give me something to grasp.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 8, 2022 5:49 PM
posted by majorspark

Give me something to grasp.

Research the debate here in Ohio...and the bill in question.

Also, research public opinion polls on how nuanced most people are on the issue and refer back to the bill in question. 

Sun, May 8, 2022 5:51 PM
posted by gut

It's quite interesting to see the law in other very progressive countries.  Canada has no restrictions, but in actual effect it's essentially 24 weeks.  In France it's 15 weeks.  UK is 24 weeks.

I'm sure there have been more than a few times in the past 45 years you might have gotten 60 votes for a similar policy.  But today would you have even 40 or 45 Dems agree to such a "compromise"?

Hopefully the dust settles relatively quickly and people realize maybe this isn't such a big deal.  Again, a study determined this might reduce abortions 15%.  And given it's pro choice roots, that number is probably at least double what it would be (before even considering charitable organizations that would step in to help women where it's illegal).

Seriously worried this will be the justification for eliminating the filibuster and packing the SCOTUS.  But that's probably inevitable unless voters start electing adults again.

I just think the debate heads to state houses and then back to the Supreme Court. 

majorspark Senior Member
Sun, May 8, 2022 5:54 PM
posted by gut

The leak and the obvious pre planned responses by politicians on the left, this is the objective.
gut Senior Member
Sun, May 8, 2022 6:28 PM

I just think the debate heads to state houses and then back to the Supreme Court. 

It sounds to me like Alito's majority opinion is it's not a constitutional right.  I'm sure there will be thousands of legal challenges around the country, but few if any are going to reach the SCOTUS unless they come up with a new argument.  I don't see any interest in hearing a case to potentially reverse themselves after just overturning a 45-yr precedent.   

You have a conservative majority now that seems pretty intent on ending legislating from the bench. So most of this will be left up to the states, where I think a majority of people would agree it belongs.

majorspark Senior Member
Sun, May 8, 2022 6:31 PM

Research the debate here in Ohio...and the bill in question.

Also, research public opinion polls on how nuanced most people are on the issue and refer back to the bill in question. 

You are the one wetting yourself about this sinister bill being debated.  Surely you can provide me with one line item on this bill that you have determined is completely terrible. You by your own claims are already well versed.

gut Senior Member
Sun, May 8, 2022 6:35 PM
posted by majorspark
The leak and the obvious pre planned responses by politicians on the left, this is the objective.

Hopefully it's all just a new wedge issue for the Dems.  I can't imagine what a shitshow DC becomes if you eliminate the filibuster. 

Not sure if all Senate rules are subject to a simple majority, but if the filibuster goes then that seems absolute.  No idea, in that scenario, if you can bulletproof legislation from being tossed when control switches parties. 

majorspark Senior Member
Sun, May 8, 2022 7:28 PM
posted by gut

Hopefully it's all just a new wedge issue for the Dems.  I can't imagine what a shitshow DC becomes if you eliminate the filibuster. 

Not sure if all Senate rules are subject to a simple majority, but if the filibuster goes then that seems absolute.  No idea, in that scenario, if you can bulletproof legislation from being tossed when control switches parties. 

It's the unattainable objective.  It's like the Russians with the nuke threats.  Burn it all down threats only work on the weak.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 8, 2022 10:05 PM
posted by geeblock

Weren’t you the one saying stop using extreme circumstances like rape or incest that almost never happen to cloud this topic now you are using something that also almost never happens? Do better 

It’s not extreme when it is currently being voted on in multiple states.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, May 9, 2022 5:18 PM
posted by Heretic
While I admire your willingness to stick to the QAnon-approved line of bullshit pertaining to what happened, I believe the correct way to refer to the dumb NPC who got blasted is "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

oh I agree, trespassing or unlawful entry can be met with deadly force, it was a chance she took.

Likewise resisting arrest can be deadly as well. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, May 9, 2022 5:24 PM

Exactly. That's the name of the game which makes the leak last week a non story to me in terms of who leaked it. 

If you think an unprecedented leak of enormous magnitude from the most sacrosanct institution in the nation is a non-story, I don't know what to say. 

Mon, May 9, 2022 9:37 PM
posted by majorspark

You are the one wetting yourself about this sinister bill being debated.  Surely you can provide me with one line item on this bill that you have determined is completely terrible. You by your own claims are already well versed.

Senate Bill 123 and House Bill 598. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, May 10, 2022 8:02 PM

The White House is encouraging protests outside of judges homes. If this were the other way there would be claims of terrorism. Just like beetle juice, the mayor of one of the deadliest cities in America, calling for a call to arms. But both sides!!

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, May 11, 2022 10:49 AM
posted by iclfan2

The White House is encouraging protests outside of judges homes. If this were the other way there would be claims of terrorism. Just like beetle juice, the mayor of one of the deadliest cities in America, calling for a call to arms. But both sides!!

They have little regard for others, whether it is an unborn human, or a born human with a differing opinion.  If it is outside their zone of convenience, look out.  They have no class, and no respect, which you see filtering through segments of society.  They've lost the debate; screaming and whining and intimidation and cancelling and violent uprisings are sure to be expected. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 11, 2022 5:12 PM

What did Schumer think was going to happen with that vote?

gut Senior Member
Wed, May 11, 2022 5:19 PM
posted by iclfan2

What did Schumer think was going to happen with that vote?

The same thing House Republicans did when they voted 63 times on abolishing Obamacare?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, May 12, 2022 10:09 AM

They have no legal or constitutional argument of merit, so they are already moving to the false narratives that the court is going to go after lgbtqxyz'ers, and interracial marriage, and every other thing they they can sling on the wall in order to simply scare people into voting for these Marxists. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, May 12, 2022 1:21 PM
posted by QuakerOats

They have no legal or constitutional argument of merit, so they are already moving to the false narratives that the court is going to go after lgbtqxyz'ers, and interracial marriage, and every other thing they they can sling on the wall in order to simply scare people into voting for these Marxists. 

Maybe don't do stupid stuff like attacking Roe v Wade and giving them the chance?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, May 12, 2022 2:48 PM
posted by QuakerOats

The court is already going after legal precedent - after justices nominated said they would not.  Why shouldn’t they?

Where will all these Christian conservatives be in 5 years when there is an influx of brown and black babies with no homes?  Nowhere to be found.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login