Progressives, part 3...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 1:51 PM
posted by geeblock

The only time street violence is ever mentioned is in response to someone questioning police/brutality. It’s literally the only time. As in your answer, “I get the need for police reform, BUT” there is always a but involved and it’s usually “what about Chicago?” Or something similar. That is my point. One thing shouldn’t negate the other. As you said and I agree, it’s not a zero sum game. 

Calling out the BLM and black community in general, hypocritical levels of response doesn't mean its the "only time". That's just more horseshit from you.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 2:28 PM
posted by jmog

Calling out the BLM and black community in general, hypocritical levels of response doesn't mean its the "only time". That's just more horseshit from you.

No different than the silence after a mass shooting or school shooting. U just pick the one to be outraged about so u can fit a natr

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 2:31 PM
posted by geeblock

The only time street violence is ever mentioned is in response to someone questioning police/brutality. It’s literally the only time. As in your answer, “I get the need for police reform, BUT” there is always a but involved and it’s usually “what about Chicago?” Or something similar. That is my point. One thing shouldn’t negate the other. As you said and I agree, it’s not a zero sum game. 

That is not the only time street violence is mentioned at all.  It's a huge problem that is brought up by people constantly.  I hear about it frequently and have for many years.  The "BUT" you refer to would probably go away, or become less frequent, if the community raised similar widespread outrage, dialogue, noise, attention (or whatever you want to call it) were raised in regard to inner city violence.  These two issues are closely linked because of the use of "Black Lives Matter" as a motto.  As I said earlier, if the message were "black lives matter if they were ended by a cop", then the status quo would be more understandable.  But the message is that all lives of black people matter.  Yet the actions of the larger community do not support this message whatsoever. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 2:34 PM

By the way, I was home in Columbus recently and driving through an expensive neighborhood in Dublin (near Tartan Fields).  Several of these $700k-$1.5MM homes have "Black Lives Matter" signs in front.  I thought a Dublin version of the sign should more accurately read: "Black Lives Matter...As Long as They Don't Live Near Me (or send their kids to my kid's school)"

geeblock Member
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 2:37 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

By the way, I was home in Columbus recently and driving through an expensive neighborhood in Dublin (near Tartan Fields).  Several of these $700k-$1.5MM homes have "Black Lives Matter" signs in front.  I thought a Dublin version of the sign should more accurately read: "Black Lives Matter...As Long as They Don't Live Near Me (or send their kids to my kid's school)"

Lol 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 4:36 PM
posted by geeblock

I don't think we need police "reform"; 99.9% of police are good folks doing a good job in a highly challenging job whose demands can change in an instant.  We do need continuous training and improvement, as does every profession. 

We do need reform, in the family unit.  We didn't have any of this out-of-control violent bullshit going on 40, 50, 60 years ago.  So what changed?  We largely destroyed the family unit, and mainly in urban areas.  Why did that occur - the  'Great Society' where we've spent $30 trillion to purchase $30 trillion worth of poverty and destruction of the two-parent family?  Also, the public sector purging of religion .....again, by big government?  If we are going to promote and fund fatherless families, and if there are no consequences to any of our actions, what are we teaching our youth who are now in the streets blowing people away because they have had zero conscience formation, no discipline, and have never been taught respect.

You want to start changing things for the better, fix that, because THAT is the problem.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 6:20 PM
posted by geeblock

No different than the silence after a mass shooting or school shooting. U just pick the one to be outraged about so u can fit a natr

More bull shit from Geeblock.

Keep it coming.

You have gone from “I’m rubber your glue” argument to just making shit up.

You are not having a good couple days.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 6:26 PM
posted by geeblock

Lol 

Real simple yes or no question for you.

Does the black community get more “worked up” (protests, FB meetups, riots, whatever) over 1 unarmed black man killed by police, or 1000s dead each year by inner city violence.

Answer that truthfully, I want to see if you live in reality or just have your own confirmation bias distorting the world you live in.

geeblock Member
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 8:01 PM
posted by jmog

Real simple yes or no question for you.

Does the black community get more “worked up” (protests, FB meetups, riots, whatever) over 1 unarmed black man killed by police, or 1000s dead each year by inner city violence.

Answer that truthfully, I want to see if you live in reality or just have your own confirmation bias distorting the world you live in.

It isn’t just about “1 person” getting killed which is what you boil it down to. Remember if there wasn’t video, the original police report simply said he died from a medical emergency. This happens every day and for a lot of years and came to a tipping point. So yes this last year it did explode into major outrage and protests. But it was never just about George Floyd or any one person. But again I don’t think it matters. I don’t think your opinion would be much different even if they did protest inner city crime to some level that you find appropriate. 

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 8:51 PM
posted by geeblock

It isn’t just about “1 person” getting killed which is what you boil it down to. Remember if there wasn’t video, the original police report simply said he died from a medical emergency. This happens every day and for a lot of years and came to a tipping point. So yes this last year it did explode into major outrage and protests. But it was never just about George Floyd or any one person. But again I don’t think it matters. I don’t think your opinion would be much different even if they did protest inner city crime to some level that you find appropriate. 

It has happened more than once, but to say that it "happens every day" is a great exaggeration.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 11:57 PM
posted by geeblock

Your refusal to answer the question is rather telling.

Ok, roughly 8 vs 1000s instead of 1 vs 1000s. Yes or no?

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 3:19 AM
posted by geeblock

The only time street violence is ever mentioned is in response to someone questioning police/brutality. It’s literally the only time. 

This is literally not true at all.
geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 7:43 AM
posted by jmog

Your refusal to answer the question is rather telling.

Ok, roughly 8 vs 1000s instead of 1 vs 1000s. Yes or no?

its not just about people getting killed by police imo....plenty of examples of police abusing power.  I did answer the question. its funny you are all about hey answer my questions, but answer zero questions that you are ever asked.  its not just black people who are fed up with police and it wasnt just black people at protests no matter how you try to paint the narrative.  Every event I went to was probably 5 to 1 white people to black people.  Black people have been complaining about police since the early 1900's so really its just with the video evidence now to back it up people are starting to listen and get fed up.  Plenty of examples in Music/movies of people talking about these same issues in the 80's and 90's and nothing has changed, so yes its about more than just a few people dying.

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 7:45 AM
posted by like_that
This is literally not true at all.

it garners about as much attention as school shootings or mass shootings, people use it when they want to dog whistle something, other than that no one really cares

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 7:46 AM
posted by Al Bundy

It has happened more than once, but to say that it "happens every day" is a great exaggeration.

i didnt mean people get killed everyday, just that people are abused by police daily and its not just black people, but I think they get it the worst.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 8:30 AM
posted by geeblock

its not just about people getting killed by police imo....plenty of examples of police abusing power.  I did answer the question. its funny you are all about hey answer my questions, but answer zero questions that you are ever asked.  its not just black people who are fed up with police and it wasnt just black people at protests no matter how you try to paint the narrative.  Every event I went to was probably 5 to 1 white people to black people.  Black people have been complaining about police since the early 1900's so really its just with the video evidence now to back it up people are starting to listen and get fed up.  Plenty of examples in Music/movies of people talking about these same issues in the 80's and 90's and nothing has changed, so yes its about more than just a few people dying.

Can’t answer a simple question, rather telling.

The same line of bullshit can be said about inner city violence. It’s “not simple” so your long winded BS is just that, BS while trying to avoid answering the question.

And you said I was excusing police violence, more likely that you are excusing burning down cities over a few non-justified deaths per year.  

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 9:19 AM
posted by jmog

Can’t answer a simple question, rather telling.

The same line of bullshit can be said about inner city violence. It’s “not simple” so your long winded BS is just that, BS while trying to avoid answering the question.

And you said I was excusing police violence, more likely that you are excusing burning down cities over a few non-justified deaths per year.  

you just like to argue and talk in extreme black and white (no pun intended)  No cites were burnt down, there were buildings burnt down and it wasn't just black people burning them down, and it wasn't over a few deaths per year no matter how bad you want it to be.  Maybe hold police unions accountable and we wouldn't be in this position. Of course people get more outraged about people who are killed by people paid to protect and serve than those killed by criminals.  Not sure why you think this is some gotcha talking point.  The two things are really two separate issues. I'll agree to disagree we have been through this 50 times over last two years lets just move on.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 10:57 AM
posted by geeblock

i didnt mean people get killed everyday, just that people are abused by police daily and its not just black people, but I think they get it the worst.

.....as if the police are not abused, every, single, day.

But keep blaming others for the lack of respect and civility among a large swath of bums.

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 11:10 AM
posted by QuakerOats

.....as if the police are not abused, every, single, day.

But keep blaming others for the lack of respect and civility among a large swath of bums.

like January 6th?
QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 11:30 AM

Jesus

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login