Progressives, part 3...

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 2, 2021 10:20 AM
posted by jmog

I wonder why they aren't putting flags up on their Middle East Social Media accounts?

Cowardice. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jun 2, 2021 5:54 PM
posted by jmog

I wonder why they aren't putting flags up on their Middle East Social Media accounts?

According to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Religion of Peace countries don't have homosexuals. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 3, 2021 10:05 AM

The wokeness is never going to stop until people stop giving in to stupid things like CRT and made up pronouns. 

Thu, Jun 3, 2021 10:06 AM

Not sure Skittles thought this one through...

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Jun 3, 2021 10:26 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Beyond belief:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rhode-island-mother-lawsuit-critical-race-theory-requests

She called the principal and was told that they don't refer to "kids as boys and girls." 

"I was also told that they refrain from using gendered terminology in general terms of anti-racism. I was told that kids in kindergarten are asked what could have been done differently at Thanksgiving, and this struck me as a way to shame children for their American heritage," Solas said. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Jun 3, 2021 10:30 AM

tweet spike cohen special foreign sweat shops imprison gays rainbow

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 4, 2021 12:45 PM
posted by gut

Believing that changing the English language to coddle and enable 0.03% of the population, many of whom probably have a mental illness, is not only stupid but potentially really stupid?  

Hardly "get off my lawn" type stuff.  Get out of DC and re-discover what normal, rational logic looks like.

Or how about a more libertarian interpretation: Pretending to address an issue by changing or banning words isn't only pointless, it's likely to end-up worse than doing absolutely nothing.

Serious question: Have you actually had a conversation with someone who is Trans/ bi etc.? It sounds like you have not. If I am assuming, then correct me. If you have, you would realize how narrow and wrong that post is. 

I have worked with, and have friends that are trans. I would not classify them as having a mental illness, not at all. They are serious professionals that are engineers/ architects. I think you are just superimposing what you see and read online to the real world. 

I think a lot of posters do that here. Look at something online and think that represents the majority of that community. 

As for the get out of DC, I did. Been just north of Columbus 6 months now. But, even then, my interactions with people in the community has actually been around the country, including Charlotte, Orlando, Richmond, and elsewhere. 

All of this leads me back to my original post in the whole pronouns/ labels thing and it is the golden rule: Treat people the way you want to be treated. I have learned in business and my personal life, that holds true. If someone wants to be a different label, then I respect that and will honor that. Sounds like you should do the same. I also have another rule I live by that I think you should follow: Don't be a dick. 

Fri, Jun 4, 2021 1:02 PM
posted by justincredible

Not sure Skittles thought this one through...

That does make me laugh. What person in marketing thought that would be a great idea? 

Fri, Jun 4, 2021 1:12 PM
posted by iclfan2

The wokeness is never going to stop until people stop giving in to stupid things like CRT and made up pronouns. 

Oh come on. You are going to post the story that mentions the Crenshaw woke military page and not mention the hilarious posts? The Starship Troopers ones had me rolling. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/06/03/dan-crenshaw-woke-military/

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 4, 2021 5:56 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Serious question: Have you actually had a conversation with someone who is Trans/ bi etc.? It sounds like you have not. If I am assuming, then correct me. If you have, you would realize how narrow and wrong that post is. 

I have worked with, and have friends that are trans. I would not classify them as having a mental illness, not at all. They are serious professionals that are engineers/ architects. I think you are just superimposing what you see and read online to the real world. 

I think a lot of posters do that here. Look at something online and think that represents the majority of that community. 

As for the get out of DC, I did. Been just north of Columbus 6 months now. But, even then, my interactions with people in the community has actually been around the country, including Charlotte, Orlando, Richmond, and elsewhere. 

All of this leads me back to my original post in the whole pronouns/ labels thing and it is the golden rule: Treat people the way you want to be treated. I have learned in business and my personal life, that holds true. If someone wants to be a different label, then I respect that and will honor that. Sounds like you should do the same. I also have another rule I live by that I think you should follow: Don't be a dick. 

Is your argument really that they are professionals so they can’t have a mental illness?

Come on, anxiety, depression, anorexia, bulimia, and I could keep going, are all mental illnesses that you can’t tell by looking at someone 90%+ of the time. There are PLENTY of professionals that are able to work through these mental illnesses (my wife being one of them).

Up until just a few years ago transgender was considered to be the same type of mental conditions as anorexia, body integrity disorder, etc that the brain is telling the person that their body doesn’t fit how they “feel”.

There are MANY psychiatrists who don’t agree with the DSM changing it away from being a disorder either.

I am not arguing that it is, but I am also saying that those that still believe that it is are not “crazy” (pun intended).

And this is coming from someone who yes, not only has talked to many transgenders, but my wife and sister are part of the LGTBQ community and the most interesting conversation I have had on theoretical physics to sci-fi I have had in years was with a transgender acquaintance of ours that camp at the same camp ground as us.

Fri, Jun 4, 2021 7:00 PM
posted by jmog

Is your argument really that they are professionals so they can’t have a mental illness?

Come on, anxiety, depression, anorexia, bulimia, and I could keep going, are all mental illnesses that you can’t tell by looking at someone 90%+ of the time. There are PLENTY of professionals that are able to work through these mental illnesses (my wife being one of them).

Up until just a few years ago transgender was considered to be the same type of mental conditions as anorexia, body integrity disorder, etc that the brain is telling the person that their body doesn’t fit how they “feel”.

There are MANY psychiatrists who don’t agree with the DSM changing it away from being a disorder either.

I am not arguing that it is, but I am also saying that those that still believe that it is are not “crazy” (pun intended).

And this is coming from someone who yes, not only has talked to many transgenders, but my wife and sister are part of the LGTBQ community and the most interesting conversation I have had on theoretical physics to sci-fi I have had in years was with a transgender acquaintance of ours that camp at the same camp ground as us.

Not at all. Just that gut was saying those people probably have/ had a mental illness and in my experience they do not. His post infers that he things all people that are Trans or whatever letter have mental illness. To assume they all do is wrong is my point. 

I concur with a lot of your post and that it is a complicated issue. We should all be more respective and understanding with people to assist in those that do have mental illness. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 4, 2021 8:00 PM

Not at all. Just that gut was saying those people probably have/ had a mental illness and in my experience they do not. His post infers that he things all people that are Trans or whatever letter have mental illness.

I believe I said most.  And within the context of people traumatized by someone "assuming their gender", that's probably true.  As JMOG said, gender dysphoria was classified as a mental illness, up until about 5 years ago.

I have a hard enough time remembering someone's name, much less their preferred gender.  If I make a mistake, I'll smile and say "I'm sorry you were offended".  And if I want to be a "dick", as you said, I'll say "I'm sorry, I was referring to your sex, not your gender".

Story in WaPo about some 11-yr old transgender girl that the school wouldn't let tryout for girl's cross-country team.  I don't think an 11-yr old is mature enough or experienced enough to make that choice.  I don't know if she's getting therapy or not, but "choose your own gender" is far from responsible on this issue with pre-teens.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 4, 2021 10:28 PM

Not at all. Just that gut was saying those people probably have/ had a mental illness and in my experience they do not. His post infers that he things all people that are Trans or whatever letter have mental illness. To assume they all do is wrong is my point. 

I concur with a lot of your post and that it is a complicated issue. We should all be more respective and understanding with people to assist in those that do have mental illness. 

But here’s the thing, up until just a couple years ago every psychiatrist in the US would diagnose all transgenders with a mental disorder. It was that way in the DSM.

If you think about it logically, their brain is telling them that their body is basically a “lie” or wrong. This is exactly why it was in the same category in the DSM as anorexia. Their brain tells them they are fat even when their body is rail thin.

The DSM changed it from a disorder to “dysphoria” due to some psychological “science” and some political pressure to lessen the stigma.

If they changed depression tomorrow to a non-illness and just called it a “distress” like they do transgender now, that wouldn’t change the problems/issues that someone with depression has to deal with.

The fact remains that transgender people have one of the, if not the highest suicide rates in the world. Higher than depression, it is seriously near 50% (attempted, not necessarily successful).

Studies also show that this suicide rate doesn’t drop even after gender reassignment surgery. So even after their body matches their brain, they are still suicidal on average.

And studies have also already debunked the “it’s because they are bullied” reasoning.  Gays and homosexuals were bullied just as bad for decades and their suicide rates were never near transgender.

There is something there, that they attempt suicide at higher rates than almost any other mental disorder/illness. To say there is no mental issue/problem is just putting our proverbial heads in the sand. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Jun 5, 2021 4:19 AM
posted by jmog

But here’s the thing, up until just a couple years ago every psychiatrist in the US would diagnose all transgenders with a mental disorder. It was that way in the DSM.

If you think about it logically, their brain is telling them that their body is basically a “lie” or wrong. This is exactly why it was in the same category in the DSM as anorexia. Their brain tells them they are fat even when their body is rail thin.

The DSM changed it from a disorder to “dysphoria” due to some psychological “science” and some political pressure to lessen the stigma.

If they changed depression tomorrow to a non-illness and just called it a “distress” like they do transgender now, that wouldn’t change the problems/issues that someone with depression has to deal with.

The fact remains that transgender people have one of the, if not the highest suicide rates in the world. Higher than depression, it is seriously near 50% (attempted, not necessarily successful).

Studies also show that this suicide rate doesn’t drop even after gender reassignment surgery. So even after their body matches their brain, they are still suicidal on average.

And studies have also already debunked the “it’s because they are bullied” reasoning.  Gays and homosexuals were bullied just as bad for decades and their suicide rates were never near transgender.

There is something there, that they attempt suicide at higher rates than almost any other mental disorder/illness. To say there is no mental issue/problem is just putting our proverbial heads in the sand. 

It is a mental disorder, and that's why there is such a high suicide rate.  However, Ptown's anecdotal evidence of speaking to a trans coworker supersedes all of that.

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 5, 2021 10:57 PM

Mon, Jun 7, 2021 11:40 AM

She added "Race card" but forgot her pronouns. Inexcusable.

Tue, Jun 8, 2021 11:03 AM

This person claims to be a professor. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jun 8, 2021 11:21 AM
posted by justincredible

If this were enacted, I'd pay much higher taxes in the winter.  I'm white as a sheet from November to April.  I guess I could hit the tanning booth and get my taxes lowered accordingly.

brutus161 The Navy Guy
1,688 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jun 8, 2021 11:35 AM
posted by justincredible

There is no way this is not a parody account

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login