Progressives, part 3...

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:20 PM
posted by gut

But being stopped because it's illegal to have air fresheners hanging from the mirror sure seems like a legal "justification" for profiling.

Otherwise, again, you have one's personal choice to resist/evade arrest contributing to a mistake by an officer resulting in a fatal shooting.  Long past time to start acknowledging that, yes, the victim shares some of the blame.

The air freshener thing wasn’t real... that was a made up twitter conspiracy. It was for expired tags and then the guy had a warrant. Then the cop was an idiot.

That’s a good example of how a narrative spreads, people get outraged, and then when the facts come out it’s too late (Georgia voting law included).

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:31 PM
posted by iclfan2

The air freshener thing wasn’t real... that was a made up twitter conspiracy. It was for expired tags and then the guy had a warrant. Then the cop was an idiot.

That’s a good example of how a narrative spreads, people get outraged, and then when the facts come out it’s too late (Georgia voting law included).

Well factually, a 2018 Georgetown law study found that nonwhite drivers were twice as likely to be pulled over by police and 3x as likely to have their car searched

A 2015 study by Stanford found that black drivers were more likely to be pulled over as did a study by the ACLU of illlinois.  U can look all of these up on google.

Also  data of over 20 Million Traffic stops in North Carolina  over 14 years revealed

https://www.sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2020/06/racial_disparities_traffic_stops.php#.YHXG_mhKhPYhttps://www.sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2020/06/racial_disparities_traffic_stops.php#.YHXG_mhKhPY

Significant findings from Shoub’s and her colleagues’ analysis of the North Carolina dataset include:

• Blacks were 63 percent more likely to be stopped even though, as a whole, they drive 16 percent less. Taking into account less time on the road, blacks were about 95 percent more likely to be stopped.
  • Blacks were 115 percent more likely than whites to be searched in a traffic stop (5.05 percent for blacks, 2.35 percent for whites).
  • Contraband was more likely to be found in searches of white drivers.
gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:36 PM
posted by geeblock

Well factually

Aren't blacks about 300% more likely to commit a crime....according to, you know, facts?

That would seem to suggest they aren't pulled over enough.  Or perhaps I'm just manipulating statistics without context to support a narrative....

Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:39 PM

Thanks for the stats, what does that have to do with this incident specifically (maybe cops are in high crime areas more?)? How can you tell what color someone is with how tint is these days? Blaming everything on racism and then burning down your town and attacking police in every instance is dumb. Well doing it in general is dumb, but you know that.

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:43 PM
posted by iclfan2

Thanks for the stats, what does that have to do with this incident specifically (maybe cops are in high crime areas more?)? How can you tell what color someone is with how tint is these days? Blaming everything on racism and then burning down your town and attacking police in every instance is dumb. Well doing it in general is dumb, but you know that.

just providing some context on traffic stops

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:44 PM
posted by gut

Aren't blacks about 300% more likely to commit a crime....according to, you know, facts?

That would seem to suggest they aren't pulled over enough.  Or perhaps I'm just manipulating statistics without context to support a narrative....

No.  over 99 percent of black people dont commit any  murder, 94.6 percent don’t get arrested at all. .010 percent of black people commit murder and .005 percent of whites. 95.8 percent of white people don’t get arrested. 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:47 PM
posted by gut

Who kills more police officers, Whites or Blacks?  

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:49 PM

Seems like the MN killing it was more bad training that made her grab the gun instead of the taser. Her instinct to go to the gun instead of taser may have kicked in. Better training to move the gun to a different place, or how the taser has a different handle than the gun helps. But, in the end, comes down to proper training on how to handle a situation. 

That said, do we know what the arrest warrant for the guy? I may have saw in passing the other day it was for low level drug arrest. If true, and I know that is a hell of an assumption on my part, then yeah the larger movement to decriminalize drugs may have prevented this whole thing. 

Tue, Apr 13, 2021 12:58 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

That said, do we know what the arrest warrant for the guy? I may have saw in passing the other day it was for low level drug arrest. If true, and I know that is a hell of an assumption on my part, then yeah the larger movement to decriminalize drugs may have prevented this whole thing. 

From what I saw (and as mentioned above everything is disinformation) it was for a gun offense and fleeing a peace officer. I’m all for decriminalizing low level drug offenses and even letting some currently serving time out based on how over charged they were. 

And yea, the woman in the video even yelled taser and then was like oh shit I shot him. She should be held accountable, and charged if possible (based on similar cases they haven’t been). It was a terrible accident, but to use this as a reason to go get you some shoes and burn down a dollar tree is stupid. No point is being made, everyone is well aware of the issues at hand. 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 1:00 PM
posted by iclfan2

From what I saw (and as mentioned above everything is disinformation) it was for a gun offense and fleeing a peace officer. I’m all for decriminalizing low level drug offenses and even letting some currently serving time out based on how over charged they were. 

And yea, the woman in the video even yelled taser and then was like oh shit I shot him. She should be held accountable, and charged if possible (based on similar cases they haven’t been). It was a terrible accident, but to use this as a reason to go get you some shoes and burn down a dollar tree is stupid. No point is being made, everyone is well aware of the issues at hand. 

She won’t get in legal trouble.. probably lose her job tho. He also shares culpability for sure 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 2:52 PM

I saw on the bird app that she resigned. 

Tue, Apr 13, 2021 3:48 PM

I wonder how many of the folks falling over themselves to point out the guy had an illegal weapons charge to try to justify the shooting fall in the come and take it/shall not be infringed crowd?

Tue, Apr 13, 2021 3:53 PM
gut Senior Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:18 PM
posted by geeblock

Who kills more police officers, Whites or Blacks?  

Blacks are 3X as likely to shoot a cop?

I can use the same stupid tricks as you to support a bullshit narrative all day long.

Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:20 PM

Big oof if true. 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:25 PM
posted by gut

I can use the same stupid tricks as you to support a bullshit narrative all day long.

No whites kill more cops and it’s not close according to fbi data. What narrative are you talking about? That most blacks aren’t criminals and don’t commit crimes? That’s true. That if you are a poc you are more likely to get pulled over and have your car searched? That’s also true 

geeblock Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:26 PM
posted by gut

Just trying to figure out why blacks are seen as more dangerous when the data doesn’t support it 

Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:33 PM

How about one of you post a link to the actual data?

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:36 PM

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2014/tables/table_47_leos_fk_race_and_sex_of_known_offender_2005-2014.xls

Are Hispanics lumped in under White, or do they just not kill cops in numbers enough to register?

gut Senior Member
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 4:40 PM
posted by geeblock

Just trying to figure out why blacks are seen as more dangerous when the data doesn’t support it 

What's so difficult to understand police officers are more likely to be shot by blacks?  Wouldn't that make those encounters more dangerous for police?

I'd link the study if I could find it, but you've never shown an interest in accurate facts on this issue.  Your false narratives are like a religion for you.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login