Progressives, part 3...

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 11:44 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Look at US history and you will always find hysterical sects that believe the country is on the verge of failure. Yet here we are. Nothing unique about this time. 

I would say it is unique when one side of the political spectrum has control over the whole government and 95% of the media.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 2:00 PM
posted by Fletch

I would say it is unique when one side of the political spectrum has control over the whole government and 95% of the media.  

There is a term - I don't recall what it is - that is used to describe the idea that pretty much every generation of humans since the beginning of time believes they are living in an unprecedented time of change whereby their existence (country, tribe, city-state) is at a crossroads facing it's ultimate doom if not carefully navigated. I think we at present are no different. In reality, it's all good. We'll all be okay. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 10:12 PM

It's always a sign that straws are being grasped at when the Nazi comparisons begin.  In my lifetime I can recall the following politicians / leaders being compared to Hitler: Trump, Obama, Bush Jr., Bush Sr., Hillary, Reagan, Pat Buchanan, Putin, Thatcher, Nixon, Ford, JFK, Guiliani, Pelosi, AOC, Helmut Kohl, Angela Merkel, and even Ellen Degeneres.  

Be careful with the term always.  There are both valid and invalid comparisons to this period in history.  You can discern between the two.  

History is a great teacher because of human nature.  As for this period its used often today because of its recency.  Blanket dismissal or acceptance of it is folly.

majorspark Senior Member
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 11:05 PM

Look at US history and you will always find hysterical sects that believe the country is on the verge of failure. Yet here we are. Nothing unique about this time. 

The US is a very young nation in the context of world history.  What is unique about this time in US history is there are around 25,000 uniformed military in Washington DC for the inauguration of the President.  You will not witness the sea of civilians celebrating the event.  There is at the very least a basis for some level of concern here.

Tue, Jan 19, 2021 11:09 PM
posted by majorspark

The US is a very young nation in the context of world history.  What is unique about this time in US history is there are around 25,000 uniformed military in Washington DC for the inauguration of the President.  You will not witness the sea of civilians celebrating the event.  There is at the very least a basis for some level of concern here.

The jackasses of a couple of weeks ago have seen to this. 

Tue, Jan 19, 2021 11:12 PM
posted by majorspark

Be careful with the term always.  There are both valid and invalid comparisons to this period in history.  You can discern between the two.  

History is a great teacher because of human nature.  As for this period its used often today because of its recency.  Blanket dismissal or acceptance of it is folly.

"Always" here is a figure of speech, not literal. Anyway, present day USA is nothing like Germany in 1933, nothing. Calling out "Nazi" is just the Little Boy Who Cried Wolf. (Or in this case, the Little Boy Who Cried Adolf šŸ˜Š)

majorspark Senior Member
Tue, Jan 19, 2021 11:25 PM

The jackasses of a couple of weeks ago have seen to this. 

They are just one of the ugly fruits that have cropped up from the seeds that have been sown.

majorspark Senior Member
Wed, Jan 20, 2021 12:37 AM

"Always" here is a figure of speech, not literal. Anyway, present day USA is nothing like Germany in 1933, nothing. Calling out "Nazi" is just the Little Boy Who Cried Wolf. (Or in this case, the Little Boy Who Cried Adolf šŸ˜Š)

The term "Nazi" is roughly a hundred years old.  Its a current political buzzword. Unknown to nearly all of human history.  Used today to support or dismiss political discourse. The means behind that movement in order to gain power is widespread in human history

When I mentioned the use of "always" and to be careful with it I was thinking of the many times over the years I used that "figure of speech" in disagreements with my wife.  It's better I not allow the chance for her to take it literally.  This is wise in all discourse.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 20, 2021 9:39 AM
posted by majorspark

They are just one of the ugly fruits that have cropped up from the seeds that have been sown.

True.  And amazingly, no one in congress has made any statements along the lines of, 'hey, we need to look at ourselves and what we have been doing here in the last 10-30 years that has caused such division and so much animosity against us; maybe we have been doing some things wrong; maybe we have forgotten about a lot of people along the way; maybe we have sold out a lot of people in middle America; maybe we have caused many of our problems; maybe we have not been responsive to our constituents first and foremost; maybe we need to give the country back to The People'.

But I'm not holding my breath on any of the swampers making such pronouncements.

Wed, Jan 20, 2021 9:46 AM
posted by QuakerOats

True.  And amazingly, no one in congress has made any statements along the lines of, 'hey, we need to look at ourselves and what we have been doing here in the last 10-30 years that has caused such division and so much animosity against us; maybe we have been doing some things wrong; maybe we have forgotten about a lot of people along the way; maybe we have sold out a lot of people in middle America; maybe we have caused many of our problems; maybe we have not been responsive to our constituents first and foremost; maybe we need to give the country back to The People'.

But I'm not holding my breath on any of the swampers making such pronouncements.

I agree with your sentiments. But I doubt you felt the same way about all of the protests over the summer. True?

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 20, 2021 10:05 AM

I agree with your sentiments. But I doubt you felt the same way about all of the protests over the summer. True?

We have a justice system that generally punishes the guilty.  Allowing the system to run its course is what real leaders would champion.  Destroying federal buildings and police stations, and committing violence against innocent people and ruining their businesses, and looting and burning is not the answer.  That should have never been allowed to occur, especially on a nightly basis for months on end, and effectively funded in part, by the new vice-president of the United States ----- unbelievable.  Similarly, unlawful entry and vandalism at the Capitol was wrong, and the justice system will do what it does to punish the lawbreakers.  And those in congress need to reflect on why it occurred, and what they need to do to be accountable to The People, and not the establishment.  My guess is, many heard the message; we'll see what happens.

GOONx19 An exceptional poster.
7,413 posts 94 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 21, 2021 10:08 AM
posted by QuakerOats

...maybe we have been doing some things wrong.

If more people would be willing to accept this sentiment in all industries, the world would be a better place. Politicians, law enforcement, medicine, education, finance, my bosses. "That's how we've historically done it," and "according to our policy" are among the dumbest explanations for continuing to do something suboptimally that I hear on a weekly basis. We wrote the fucking policy; if it can be improved, let's improve it.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 1:46 PM

Iā€™m old enough to remember when teachers tried pretending like they have the most important job in the world.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 2:12 PM
posted by iclfan2

Iā€™m old enough to remember when teachers tried pretending like they have the most important job in the world.

That pisses me off

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 24, 2021 2:23 PM
posted by iclfan2

What is it about CTU that makes them like the worse teacher's union in the country?  Seems like they're on strike almost every other year.
gut Senior Member
Mon, Jan 25, 2021 7:09 PM

So today is the first time I've heard, or read, Donald J. Trump's middle name.

True story.  How is that possible?

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 29, 2021 1:49 PM

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but this is kinda funny:

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 29, 2021 2:09 PM
posted by justincredible

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but this is kinda funny:

It is indeed hilarious. 
justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 29, 2021 2:12 PM

So, did Maxine Waters also incite violence? Or are you all unprincipled piles of human garbage?

gut Senior Member
Fri, Jan 29, 2021 3:52 PM
posted by justincredible

So, did Maxine Waters also incite violence? Or are you all unprincipled piles of human garbage?

And what about AOC running around calling member of Congress "white supremacists" who "are endangering my life" without any proof?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login