Progressives, part 3...

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:30 AM
posted by Spock

LOL if you dont think that people of DC doesnt have representation.   Just follow the money

LOL ok Tom Cotton. What a lame and narrow point of view. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 10:31 AM
posted by justincredible

I'd like to see the state of Jefferson come to be, as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that one as well. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:07 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yes, they should be...

They have more population than Wyoming and Vermont. The DC Bill would carve out the federal areas, near the mall and federal buildings, which only take up 15-20% of the city. So, you can still have your federal areas that are stipulated in the Constitution.  It is insane that over 700k people have zero representation in Congress. 

Just cede most of what is left back to Maryland like they did with Virginia.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009

Let's say I am a Doctor who has an office and treats patients in downtown DC. You are saying that the doctor who pays DC and federal taxes has no voting right?

What about the people living in Canada who work in Detroit or NY?  Should we make Canada a state, too?
SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009

Haha imagine living in a city/state/territory, and wanting to pass a bill. And someone from outside your city/state/territory says “no, you shouldn’t get this. You chose to live there”

Unreal logic 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:12 AM
posted by majorspark

It will never happen until Democrats control 34 states because the Republicans aren't giving DC two Senators.  Same reason California is never getting carved up allowing Republicans to pick-up seats.

Or maybe after the Dems abolish the fillibuster it won't really matter.  But the idea all the swamp rats in DC somehow have less "representation" than us normal folks because they don't vote is pretty comical.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:20 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

Haha imagine living in a city/state/territory, and wanting to pass a bill. And someone from outside your city/state/territory says “no, you shouldn’t get this. You chose to live there”

Unreal logic 

You don't have to be a state to pass something. What are you even talking about. They have a local government to pass things for their commonwealth. No one is stopping them from doing anything. Imagine thinking a place smaller than Cleveland should be considered a state and get two senators, which is the entire reason the left is even pushing this issue. It doesn't matter anyway bc it is never happening. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:22 AM
posted by iclfan2

You don't have to be a state to pass something. What are you even talking about. They have a local government to pass things for their commonwealth. No one is stopping them from doing anything. Imagine thinking a place smaller than Cleveland should be considered a state and get two senators, which is the entire reason the left is even pushing this issue. It doesn't matter anyway bc it is never happening. 

“No one forced those people to move there”

You said it

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:23 AM

If DC was a red state, and their two senators would be hardcore conservatives, I’m sure you’d have the same take 🙄

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:24 AM
posted by iclfan2

I mean, they're literally writing the laws but somehow they don't have a fair say....

posted by majorspark

Yeah...the people of MD do not want that. By a wiiiide margin. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
posted by SportsAndLady

“No one forced those people to move there”

You said it

Yea I said they moved there, knowing they wouldn't have congressional representation. Not that anyone is stopping them from passing bills in their own town. If I moved to DC, I'd know I don't have a representative of Congress.

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:25 AM
posted by gut
What about the people living in Canada who work in Detroit or NY?  Should we make Canada a state, too?

Last I checked citizens of Canada were not U.S. citizens and paying U.S.  taxes.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:28 AM

Last I checked citizens of Canada were not U.S. citizens and paying U.S.  taxes.

They aren't paying US taxes?  Are you sure about that?

Or maybe paying taxes wasn't the greatest argument to make for representation.

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:30 AM
posted by iclfan2

The size does not matter. Again, DC has more people than Wyoming and Vermont. Also, yes they have a local government, but have zero say so on any matters that happen within DC. Congress controls and dictates nearly everything in DC, yet DC has zero say so in the matter. 

The people are pushing it because it is about getting representation for 700k people. It is the literal reason we left England. The feds can tax DC, but they cannot voice their opinion on the matter. 

Also, sure they know they do not have the right to have Reps in Congress when a person moves here, but does that make it right or fair? What if you have to move here for a job from out of state and need to be near the office in DC? What then, you just don't have the right to voice your vote in Congress? Sorry, tough. It is dumb. 

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:31 AM
posted by gut

They aren't paying US taxes?  Are you sure about that?

Or maybe paying taxes wasn't the greatest argument to make for representation.

Uhh, yeah they do pay taxes. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:35 AM

Uhh, yeah they do pay taxes. 

So I'll ask again - should we make Canada a state because there's like a million of them living and/or working in the US, paying taxes and not getting to vote.
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:39 AM
posted by gut
So I'll ask again - should we make Canada a state because there's like a million of them living and/or working in the US, paying taxes and not getting to vote.

So, the people in DC are just like citizens of another foreign country to you? Good to know you do not see them as Americans. That makes no sense. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:48 AM

So, the people in DC are just like citizens of another foreign country to you? Good to know you do not see them as Americans. That makes no sense. 

The common element is choice.

Thu, Jul 2, 2020 11:54 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

The common element is choice.

Yeah, not if you were born in DC and your whole life has been in the District. If you want to have a Rep in Congress then, you must uproot your whole family and move to MD and VA? How fucked is that? 

Also, again, if my job is in DC, I have to live out of it and commute in if I want to vote? How is that not fucked up?

We are just telling 700k sorry, you just made the wrong choice? Doesn't sound very American to me. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login