Progressives, part 3...

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 11:32 AM

Sounds like Biden actually invented "Grab 'em by the pussy" after all lol. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 11:34 AM
posted by fish82

Sounds like Biden actually invented "Grab 'em by the pussy" after all lol. 

The ole Grabber technique sounds like a new requirement to be POTUS

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 11:38 AM
posted by QuakerOats

There are far, far, far more important things that need to be protected or covered up, dating back to the transfer of military secrets to China for Clinton campaign donations in the ‘90’s, the continued selling out to China under the obama/biden/Clinton regime, and the Biden extortion and quid pro quos with China, Ukraine and others.  A little sexual abuse pales in comparison to what they really value.

Your blind partisanship so exemplifies what is wrong with our public discourse.  

By the way, your Dear Leader has deemed Drudge part of the Enemy of the People. Better find a new news aggregated/idea giver. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 12:36 PM
posted by Spock

The ole Grabber technique sounds like a new requirement to be POTUS

That might've been the funniest thing you've ever said on here.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 4:26 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The only victim of the Big Bad Media on here seems to be you [Quaker]. 

You keep pushing this, but 95% of eyeballs go to "major" sources.  There's a huge disparity.  Heck, CNN and MSNBC audience is basically equal to Fox.  Major liberal sources dominate print and television.  Conservatives do much better on the radio, but I'm not sure that many people actually listen to radio pundits.  And you can throw in late-night talk shows which aren't news media, but they are very influential nonetheless.

Alex Jones or whatever other dipshit you want to throw out there has a teeny, tiny fraction of the audience of the networks.  Fox and Rush get almost all the ire of the liberals because they are all that stands in the way of, for all practical purposes, Liberal state run media.

Conservative: Fox, WSJ, Rush, Brietbart, NY Post

Liberal: ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, WaPo, NYT, Guardian, BBC, Politico, HuffPo

Wed, Apr 29, 2020 4:47 PM
posted by gut

You keep pushing this, but 95% of eyeballs go to "major" sources.  There's a huge disparity.  Heck, CNN and MSNBC audience is basically equal to Fox.  Major liberal sources dominate print and television.  Conservatives do much better on the radio, but I'm not sure that many people actually listen to radio pundits.  And you can throw in late-night talk shows which aren't news media, but they are very influential nonetheless.

Alex Jones or whatever other dipshit you want to throw out there has a teeny, tiny fraction of the audience of the networks.  Fox and Rush get almost all the ire of the liberals because they are all that stands in the way of, for all practical purposes, Liberal state run media.

According to many surveys, more than half of Americans say  they get news from social media.  Of course some of those stories can link to sources you list, but stories are selected by whomever is posting them.  That suggests that people get news they tend to agree with regardless of where it comes from.  The audiences that watch Fox or CNN are large, but in comparison with the entire population, they are miniscule.  Of those that don't watch, it seems most use social media or something similar to "inform" themselves.  But that means they seek it out and  most of us will seek information we agree with.  

This is why I think it's an easy cop out to say the media drives the agenda.  The media is a business, but not a  monolith.  People will find what they want whether it comes from Fox, CNN or Joe's News Outlet.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 5:03 PM

"Fuck off you fuckin fucker fucks!!!"

It was a ‘Heretic’-inspired post.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 5:24 PM
posted by gut

While I won't deny the truth of anything you said here, we are talking about Quaker. A person who had repeatedly used a "don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message" line when his news/junk blog links are criticized...but immediately goes for the biggest gun he can find to start shooting when he doesn't like the message in an article or column. Media bias: A thing. Quaker complaining about it: No credibility.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 7:10 PM
posted by Heretic

Media bias: A thing. Quaker complaining about it: No credibility.

That's fair.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 7:11 PM

According to many surveys, more than half of Americans say  they get news from social media. 

Twitter, Facebook and Google - that's your counter argument?!?

Wed, Apr 29, 2020 9:25 PM
posted by gut

Twitter, Facebook and Google - that's your counter argument?!?

My point is that if people get their news through those mediums, they are likely reading news that aligns with their beliefs or stances. They would care very little what the original source is. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 1:52 PM

Is Cuomo really blaming The NY Times editorial board for not warning people about the pandemic, instead of himself?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/30/the-buck-stops-over-there-gov-andrew-cuomo-suggests-nyt-editorial-board-deserves-blame-for-not-dictating-more-proactive-covid19-policy-video/

Thu, Apr 30, 2020 2:58 PM
posted by iclfan2

Is Cuomo really blaming The NY Times editorial board for not warning people about the pandemic, instead of himself?

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/04/30/the-buck-stops-over-there-gov-andrew-cuomo-suggests-nyt-editorial-board-deserves-blame-for-not-dictating-more-proactive-covid19-policy-video/

Perfect example of what is wrong with this whole thing.  Everyone in charge is spending time pointing fingers and blaming everyone else.  Why can't we just admit - as an entire planet - we did not see this coming.  Move on and quit trying to assign blame.  We have a lot of stuff to learn from this so that if it happens again, we can be in a much better position. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 3:35 PM

Perfect example of what is wrong with this whole thing.  Everyone in charge is spending time pointing fingers and blaming everyone else.  Why can't we just admit - as an entire planet - we did not see this coming.  Move on and quit trying to assign blame.  We have a lot of stuff to learn from this so that if it happens again, we can be in a much better position. 

Just to be clear too, I wasn't blaming him (I blame China). I just found it humorous in trying to blame a news organization, that has no insider info or medical doctors. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 3:48 PM

How about the disgusting prof at Rutgers blaming Trump supporters for all this current shit with some nice expletive-laden tweets.  She can go to hell.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 3:49 PM

My point is that if people get their news through those mediums, they are likely reading news that aligns with their beliefs or stances. They would care very little what the original source is. 

Twitter, Facebook and Google manipulate news fees and have been known to censor conservative news they deem "fake news".  You're cherrypicking one aspect of how news works on social media to pretend like it's not overall heavily tilted to liberal sources.

And most people still know which sources are considered credible and which ones aren't.  QO can send all the Breitbart links he wants and his liberal friends are going to laugh and ignore it.  The source still matters whether it's shared thru social media or not.

Thu, Apr 30, 2020 5:43 PM
posted by gut

Twitter, Facebook and Google manipulate news fees and have been known to censor conservative news they deem "fake news".  You're cherrypicking one aspect of how news works on social media to pretend like it's not overall heavily tilted to liberal sources.

And most people still know which sources are considered credible and which ones aren't.  QO can send all the Breitbart links he wants and his liberal friends are going to laugh and ignore it.  The source still matters whether it's shared thru social media or not.

I agree that the source matters.  I also agree that a lot of legacy news outlets lean left.  But today more than anytime in the past, people can get their news from any of the millions of sources they want.  Anyone can find news sources that align with their stances on things and that's what most of us do.  I just don't believe in huge segments of our population being steered by some united media message theme(s).  Hell, our own president communicates directly with his followers (via Twitter) more than all his predecessors combined.  If we lived in China or North Korea, I would agree that media can form the message.  That is simply not possible here because, even is you say the majority of news outlets lean left, that leaves tens of thousands that don't.  If someone gets all their news from CNN or Fox, or whatever legacy source, then it's likely they already agree with the perspective before they ever tuned in.  

Thu, Apr 30, 2020 5:46 PM
posted by iclfan2

Just to be clear too, I wasn't blaming him (I blame China). I just found it humorous in trying to blame a news organization, that has no insider info or medical doctors. 

I know you weren't.  And I agree that for a politician to blame the newspaper for not anticipating COVID-19 is pathetic.  He should be doing his job to serve New Yorkers today and figuring out  how his state can better prepare itself for something like this in the future.  We don't depend upon the New York Times to provide intelligence on future emergencies.  We depend upon our leaders.  

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 2, 2020 11:17 AM

Trudeau announced a total ban on all "military grade assault weapons" in Canada.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 2, 2020 2:01 PM
posted by justincredible

Trudeau announced a total ban on all "military grade assault weapons" in Canada.

So AR-15s are still okay then, right?  Since that's certainly not military grade by any stretch.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login