Progressives, part 3...

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:12 PM
posted by gut

Wait a minute.  You realize that TARP is basically trickle down economics - so why do you hate Reagan so much?

TARP didnt trickle anywhere and it had no mandates in it that corporations do anything but buyback their stocks.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:29 PM
posted by Spock

TARP didnt trickle anywhere and it had no mandates in it that corporations do anything but buyback their stocks.

Not sure you understand "trickle down economics"....TARP stopped the liquidity crisis that was tanking the economy - seems like that would have benefited everyone.  Also, TARP saved several more banks (remember, Lehman and Bear were already gone) from failing - which would have benefited all their employees.  TARP also included GM and Chrysler, who couldn't access capital markets to avoid bankrupcty - seems like that saved the jobs of thousands of first, second and third tier automotive workers.

So you're wrong that TARP only benefited big business.  And you're wrong that TARP was a handout.  Also, the "mandate" was to buy back the stock that was issued for the funds.  That's prototypical financial market stuff, except here you had the federal govt stepping in to be that buyer because there were no buyers in a liquidity crunch.  TARP was the federal govt acting as the bank-of-last resort (more accurately, given the money made, the world's largest hedge fund), as they should do in a financial crisis.  None of your characterizations of TARP are accurate.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:38 PM

ICL—what is the point of your post? I think we all know Kroger is a large corporation. That wasn’t the point. The point was if some money goes to grocery store employees who are putting themselves at huge risks to make sure we can all grocery shop, then I’m all for it. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:38 PM
posted by gut

Not sure you understand "trickle down economics"....TARP stopped the liquidity crisis that was tanking the economy - seems like that would have benefited everyone.  Also, TARP saved several more banks (remember, Lehman and Bear were already gone) from failing - which would have benefited all their employees.  TARP also included GM and Chrysler, who couldn't access capital markets to avoid bankrupcty - seems like that saved the jobs of thousands of first, second and third tier automotive workers.

So you're wrong that TARP only benefited big business.  And you're wrong that TARP was a handout.  Also, the "mandate" was to buy back the stock that was issued for the funds.  That's prototypical financial market stuff, except here you had the federal govt stepping in to be that buyer because there were no buyers in a liquidity crunch.  TARP was the federal govt acting as the bank-of-last resort (more accurately, given the money made, the world's largest hedge fund), as they should do in a financial crisis.  None of our characterizations of TARP are accurate.

Your explanation is good. But I think CC's problem isn't the economics. It's that he perceived TARP as "Obama's", therefore failed. Even though it's been pointed out to him that this isn't accurate, he'd already thrown his dart. He won't be taking it back. 

I hope this present CARES (or whatever it's called) helps. 2008 and now are different, so different solutions were needed. None thing both have in common is no one knew how late ng they'd last when the federal government stepped in. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:45 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

...But I think CC's problem isn't the economics. It's that he perceived TARP as "Obama's", therefore failed.

LOL....very astute observation

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:57 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

ICL—what is the point of your post? I think we all know Kroger is a large corporation. That wasn’t the point. The point was if some money goes to grocery store employees who are putting themselves at huge risks to make sure we can all grocery shop, then I’m all for it. 

Bc everyone bitches about big corps getting money, but they’re also the same people who employ a shit ton of people. I fully understand there is bullshit in politics, but just screaming about billionaires getting money is worthless. 

Thu, Apr 9, 2020 8:11 PM
posted by iclfan2

Bc everyone bitches about big corps getting money, but they’re also the same people who employ a shit ton of people. I fully understand there is bullshit in politics, but just screaming about billionaires getting money is worthless. 

Who’s bitching about corporations getting money? So confused. You’re just saying things that no one disagrees with lol 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 3:24 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

It is not just Hispanics, but everyone. The Green card/ visa system is so overloaded and burdensome that wait times are years for people. The people with the worst wait time is actually India.  

It is easy to say go to the back of the line, but harder to say that when the back of the line may take 10-20 years. 

I remember this article from December 2019 about how screwed up the system is. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/the-employment-green-card-backlog-tops-800000-most-of-them-indian-a-solution-is-elusive/2019/12/17/55def1da-072f-11ea-8292-c46ee8cb3dce_story.html

We all agree the immigration system is screwed up, we just cannot agree on a solution. Meanwhile, millions are people are in limbo and have to do what they can do survive. 

And yet some people want to hand them our health care and beg them to change the earth’s climate.

LMAO

Fri, Apr 10, 2020 3:30 PM
posted by QuakerOats

And yet some people want to hand them our health care and beg them to change the earth’s climate.

LMAO

What the hell are you talking about?

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 4:41 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

What the hell are you talking about?

Referencing the ‘screwed up immigration system’ as mentioned above.  Politicians have had 30 years to fix the system – they have done jackshit.  And yet, some people want to hand these politicians their health care and expect them to solve climate change.   Hilarious.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 4:44 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Who’s bitching about corporations getting money? So confused. You’re just saying things that no one disagrees with lol 

I mean, I'm bitching about it.  Just not here.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sat, Apr 11, 2020 8:36 AM

Someone from a "corporation" signs about 70% of the paychecks in this country.  The other 30% rely directly on a "corporation" to sign their own paycheck.  

Sat, Apr 11, 2020 10:09 AM
posted by Spock

Someone from a "corporation" signs about 70% of the paychecks in this country.  The other 30% rely directly on a "corporation" to sign their own paycheck.  

I have worked for corporations for 90% of my 25 year career. They are neither devil's nor saints. They are just entities. In my experience, the weakness of the corporate model is they often have leadership interests misaligned with the interests of all stakeholders.  This often causes promotion of ruthless or narcissistic personalities that are often terrible at leadership. Once you get into the officer/director circle, you get a network of pals that allows you seats on other similar boards. The market is not always efficient at taking these people away from positions where they cause a lot of harm.   Great leaders are in the minority. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Apr 11, 2020 9:40 PM
posted by Spock

I think you're underselling how many government employees there are.

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 7:55 AM

Hey look at that, a news source finally decided to talk about Biden’s sexual assault allegations (other than yahoo). And the New York Times had this gem in their tweets about it:

“No other allegation about sexual assault surfaced in the course of our reporting, nor did any former Biden staff corroborate Reade’s allegation. We found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden, beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable”

lol wtf

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 9:19 AM
posted by iclfan2

Hey look at that, a news source finally decided to talk about Biden’s sexual assault allegations (other than yahoo). And the New York Times had this gem in their tweets about it:

“No other allegation about sexual assault surfaced in the course of our reporting, nor did any former Biden staff corroborate Reade’s allegation. We found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Biden, beyond hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable”

lol wtf

That makes it seem like an article from the onion or something lol. “Here’s a woman who’s claiming she was a victim of sexual assault in ‘93, yet we couldn’t find any evidence of sexual assault outside of *lists sexual assault*.” And also the article of course touched on her connection to russia/Putin. 

A for effort, NYT. But your attempt at being objective is a massive fail. 

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 12:42 PM

“When a woman alleges sexual assault, presume she is telling the truth.”

-Joe Biden, 9/18/1018

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 1:21 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

A for effort, NYT. But your attempt at being objective is a massive fail. 

They already changed that wording too. Such firefighting, so brave. Clowns

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Apr 13, 2020 5:39 AM

The media and those who attacked Kavanaugh are working the full spin zone on the Biden allegations.  I would say it is funny, if it weren't disgusting.  This Biden accuser actually has some corroboration too.  

People like Boogie are going to have a hard time convincing me it is "equal on both sides," when you actually pay attention to how this story is being covered vs the Kavanaugh story.  BTW, I believe when the Yahoo story dropped I predicted the media will do everything to bury the story.  I would brag, but it wasn't that tough of a prediction.  The Yahoo story dropped 2-3 weeks ago and not one person in the media has had the balls to ask him about it?  What a joke. 

Mon, Apr 13, 2020 7:15 AM
posted by like_that

The media and those who attacked Kavanaugh are working the full spin zone on the Biden allegations.  I would say it is funny, if it weren't disgusting.  This Biden accuser actually has some corroboration too.  

People like Boogie are going to have a hard time convincing me it is "equal on both sides," when you actually pay attention to how this story is being covered vs the Kavanaugh story.  BTW, I believe when the Yahoo story dropped I predicted the media will do everything to bury the story.  I would brag, but it wasn't that tough of a prediction.  The Yahoo story dropped 2-3 weeks ago and not one person in the media has had the balls to ask him about it?  What a joke. 

This women worked for Biden and had told others about what happened. No one could even corroborate that Kavanaugh had even met Blasey-Ford. Fuck the media, we already know they’re losers, but half of the government tried lifting up that story to be true. I’m still mad about it.
As an aside, I doubt it’s true, I personally don’t believe her, but the left deserves this to blow up. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login