Progressives, part 3...

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 3:58 PM
posted by Spock

The money that is going to corporations today is for employee retention and other things that will trickle down.  UNlike TARP by Obama/Biden that companies did shit like stock buy backs and sock away in CEO slush funds.

Its different now

LOL

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:03 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

TARP was Bush bro...

Also, we are not sure how this money will get filtered out, Trump is pretty much canning all the IGs that would provide oversight. He also is not keen on the idea of Congressional oversight on how these funds will be dispersed. 

Plus his daughter is heavily involved. She and Jared went to the Hunter Biden School of Daddy Got Me a Cool Job. 

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:14 PM

I just can’t stop laughing at CC.

These large corporations that make millions/billions in revenue every year (yet spend this on stock buybacks and executive salaries), need these bailout funds from the gub’mit, but the hourly grocery store worker who’s literally risking his life so that Americans can go to the grocery store and buy food, shouldn’t get any bailout money because “obama”. LOL

both entities don’t financially prepare for a global pandemic, but one of them (the trillion dollar corporation) should get bailout money and the other one (minimum wage employee still going to work) should not. 
God damn CC, your hipocrisy is blinding. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:16 PM
posted by Spock

The money that is going to corporations today is for employee retention and other things that will trickle down.  UNlike TARP by Obama/Biden that companies did shit like stock buy backs and sock away in CEO slush funds.

Its different now

Further proof you are FAR beyond merely being stupid.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:16 PM
posted by Spock

Its different now

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:18 PM
posted by Spock

Its different now

Oh sweet Moses!!!

I'm actually impressed at how much nonsense you fit into so few words.

posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Plus his daughter is heavily involved. She and Jared went to the Hunter Biden School of Daddy Got Me a Cool Job.

lol'd

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:49 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The people that risk their lives and there family's welfare to get here are generally not looking for "free shit". 

But they're getting it more than those that deserve it.

And to reply to your previous paragraph, much different times now. As was mentioned, didn't have a Welfare system when our ancestors came here. I wasn't around when my ancestors came over but, from all accounts, the immigrants that came over were hard workers not a bunch of freeloaders.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:55 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

TARP was Bush bro...

Also, we are not sure how this money will get filtered out, Trump is pretty much canning all the IGs that would provide oversight. He also is not keen on the idea of Congressional oversight on how these funds will be dispersed. 

TARP was rammed through right at the end of Bush presidency.....Biden actually over saw the distribution.

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:03 PM

https://www.thebalance.com/tarp-bailout-program-3305895

Here is a pretty good analysis of TARP......basically, the TARP money was used to prop up big corporations FOR stock buy backs and other crap.  It also was a money grab that allowed the GOVERNMENT to make money on our money.  Anything that COULD have trickled down to the the US taxpayer was things like refy mortgage programs but the banks were only generous to some and not all.

This bailout has trillions that are coming in your mailbox and oversight on things like stock buy backs.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:07 PM
posted by Spock

TARP was rammed through right at the end of Bush presidency.....Biden actually over saw the distribution.

TARP was a loan, paid back with interest.  The taxpayer made money on that, so I've never understood why it's derisively referred to as a "bailout".  Loaning money at a profit is, as far as I know, the complete opposite of a handout.

Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:08 PM
posted by BR1986FB

And to reply to your previous paragraph, much different times now. As was mentioned, didn't have a Welfare system when our ancestors came here. I wasn't around when my ancestors came over but, from all accounts, the immigrants that came over were hard workers not a bunch of freeloaders.

You're combining things that have no causal relationship.  Being an illegal doesn't correlate to being lazy.

And frankly, have you seen some of "our own?"  I'd argue we've got a disproportionate number of lazy asses that were born here.  You said "they're getting it more than those that deserve it."  Who deserves any of it, and based on what?  Winning the genetic lottery and being born to parents who happened to be in a particular location when you came sliding out of the birth canal isn't some intrinsic blessing on society.  To think otherwise is textbook entitlement.

Instead of using a broken welfare system to justify a broken immigration system, maybe our efforts would be better spent getting rid of the broken welfare system.  If we do that, anyone who wants to come in and work hard isn't a burden on the economy, but anyone who would be looking to come in for free stuff wouldn't get it.  At that point, all are free to come, but none are entitled to the labor of others.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:10 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Your anecdotal stories about how hard our ancestors worked are fine, but not relevant. I'm sure when our ancestors came, there were a lot of hard working immigrants. Guess what, a lot of these "illegals" are hard working too. I've got all sorts of anecdotal stories about that.  Back when our ancestors came, with most being hard working and decent, there were also some criminals and bums that came too. Some were maybe freeloaders who didn't have the option of public assistance, but perhaps took advantage of other freebies from churches, charities or other organizations. Similarly today, some Hispanic immigrants are bums or criminals and there are no doubt free loaders. But the vast majority are people who have risked more than most Americans can even imagine to be here. They didn't do all that to collect food stamps and call it at day. They bust their ass at hard, dirty, hot, tough jobs so they can make something for their family. And most have families with higher rates of steady marriage than the American public. 

You can debate who gets handouts, but I think you should not fall into the trap of writing off these people because they didn't follow some bullshit rules about getting in here that were only made up during the last 30-50 years. I'll take them anyway over the work ethically challenged segments of our society. They are what America is about. 

Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:13 PM
posted by Spock

LOL 

The distribution ... per the terms passed and signed in 2008.

Don't try to pass the buck just because you were wrong.  TARP was the baby of Bush, Paulson, and Bernanke.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:24 PM
posted by Spock

https://www.thebalance.com/tarp-bailout-program-3305895

Here is a pretty good analysis of TARP......

LOL, no.  It IS a good summary, but you misunderstood what was meant by "stock buybacks".

The "loans" were mostly structured as a Treasury purchase of preferred stock, with high dividends.  The intention was the banks would exercise a buyback within 5 years (again, it was mostly a liquidity crisis, "technical" default as opposed to an actual failed business).  That's how the govt guaranteed their profit.  "Preferred stock" is more like debt than equity.

Those funds were used to restructure balance sheets, which usually refers exclusively to debt.  TARP funds were probably not used to buyback common stock from the market.  I don't imagine that was allowed, but it's conceivable banks who didn't need the money but were forced to take it bought back their common stock at deep discounts, and used the proceeds to eventually pay back the TARP loan, with interest.

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:53 PM

Regardless of anyones opinion,..,,  The TARP benefited big business and DC.  It never made it to your pocket like Trumps will soon.  The economy post TARP was stale for a decade.   I bet this "bailout' brings us back in 6 months

Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:56 PM
posted by Spock

Regardless of anyones opinion,..,,  The TARP benefited big business and DC.  It never made it to your pocket like Trumps will soon.  The economy post TARP was stale for a decade.   I bet this "bailout' brings us back in 6 months

LOL

Keep doubling down all you want.

The economy wasn't stale.  And it wasn't Obama's or Biden's brain child.  These aren't opinions; these are documented, verifiable facts.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 6:01 PM
posted by O-Trap

LOL

Keep doubling down all you want.

The economy wasn't stale.  And it wasn't Obama's or Biden's brain child.  These aren't opinions; these are documented, verifiable facts.

In CC's world, something being a documented, verifiable fact means about 1/10th as much as his personal, unverifiable opinion and about 1/100th as much as a random kook's rambling diatribe on any far-right blog site like Breitbart.

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 6:45 PM
posted by Heretic

In CC's world, something being a documented, verifiable fact means about 1/10th as much as his personal, unverifiable opinion and about 1/100th as much as a random kook's rambling diatribe on any far-right blog site like Breitbart.

I lol'd

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 6:52 PM

This thread went off the rails. Y’all know the Kroger guy works for a billion dollar Corp tho right? And just to reiterate, the PPP program was only available to companies with under 500 employees. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 7:02 PM
posted by Spock

Wait a minute.  You realize that TARP is basically trickle down economics - so why do you hate Reagan so much?

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login