Impressed by the Trump administration part II

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 5, 2020 10:12 PM

Not including what he did or didn’t say today, it’s just hard to care anymore. He’s been saying stupid shit for years. People get pissed off or they don’t. It’s hard to stay mad or dwell because by the next day he’s already said something else. He never apologizes or clarifies or takes accountability. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 5, 2020 11:25 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Not including what he did or didn’t say today, it’s just hard to care anymore. He’s been saying stupid shit for years. People get pissed off or they don’t. It’s hard to stay mad or dwell because by the next day he’s already said something else. He never apologizes or clarifies or takes accountability. 

True.  But, still, it's hard to believe there are absolutely no limits to his childishness and pettiness.  He could have won the election these last 3 months, and instead has probably lost it.  Surely even the biggest loser could have given a few inspiring and compassionate speeches the last couple of months.

His speech writers can't be that bad.  They have to have given up trying after he repeatedly turns their lemonade back into lemons.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 6, 2020 9:41 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

IMO he would do himself a world of good (perhaps too late now) if occasionally, just occasionally he wouldn't categorize everything his administration does as the greatest feats in the history of government. He already has the low-IQ sycophant vote from his side.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Jun 6, 2020 4:01 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

IMO he would do himself a world of good (perhaps too late now) if occasionally, just occasionally he wouldn't categorize everything his administration does as the greatest feats in the history of government. He already has the low-IQ sycophant vote from his side.

He has one tool in his politics box - being a bully.  But a lot of people respond to that.  I first realized it after Biden got carved up by Paul Ryan in a VP debate, but "won" by being a bully.  People associate that with strength, and that confidence with command of the facts (whatever those are).

But that's the only leadership - and I use that term very loosely - trait that Trump has.  I'm sure he'd like to conjure up something else in various situations, but he's clearly incapable.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 6, 2020 4:35 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

That's the style he relies on. Self-praise and propping up stuff he/his administration says they've done, while claiming he's victimized whenever anyone disagrees with his statements or questions him too closely on something. I had to laugh a couple days ago when reading a transcript of an interview he had with Fox News' Brian Kilmeade. He was asked a question about how, currently, black people are far less trusting of police than white people are and how that problem can be resolved.

His response was to start with a "that's a very sad problem" line and then directly go into a spiel about how he's done great with African-Americans in polls and how their job numbers have been better under his administration. One of those "this is a tough question...so I'll completely avoid it to praise myself in a rambling, semi-coherent fashion" responses. And then when Kilmeade actually followed up on the question due to the total non-answer, he started out with how the Floyd killing was terrible before immediately segueing into how he isn't given enough credit by the media for talking about it.

There's just something really sad about a supposed "leader" utterly whiffing when softballs are lobbed at him and all he has to do is offer some sort of vague "pull together and rise above adversity/hate and we're all in this together and need to be better to each other" sentiment where, even if you're not saying anything with actual substance, you look like a concerned leader who cares about trying to improve a bad situation.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Jun 6, 2020 4:47 PM
posted by Heretic

There's just something really sad about a supposed "leader" utterly whiffing when softballs are lobbed at him and all he has to do is offer some sort of vague "pull together and rise above adversity/hate and we're all in this together and need to be better to each other" sentiment where, even if you're not saying anything with actual substance, you look like a concerned leader who cares about trying to improve a bad situation.

The sad irony is that a LOT of people place a lot of value on empty words from empty suits.

Kind of like the DC mayor naming a street after BLM.   LOL, that will change things!

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 8, 2020 7:43 AM
posted by gut

He has one tool in his politics box - being a bully.  But a lot of people respond to that.  I first realized it after Biden got carved up by Paul Ryan in a VP debate, but "won" by being a bully.  People associate that with strength, and that confidence with command of the facts (whatever those are).

But that's the only leadership - and I use that term very loosely - trait that Trump has.  I'm sure he'd like to conjure up something else in various situations, but he's clearly incapable.

If he decided to conjure up things, he'd be the best ever at it.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 19, 2020 4:38 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Very true. Who the fucks knows where we will be in 3 months...let alone by November. 

posted by BR1986FB

"Instead, he tries to divide us." Apparently Mattis wasn't around for the Obama years.

Man, yeah I remember that time Obama dispersed those Tea Party protests with gas and rubber bullets for a photo.

Also, can you provide one instance where the President actually tried to bring us together? 

Don’t recall the Tea Party disobeying repeated orders from the National Park Police, city police, and the national guard, or destroying property, looting, and assaulting.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 22, 2020 8:39 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Don’t recall the Tea Party disobeying repeated orders from the National Park Police, city police, and the national guard, or destroying property, looting, and assaulting.

LOL. Keep telling yourself that. I bet you believe the protesters were the reason why the Trump rally had less than 7k people. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Jun 22, 2020 9:51 AM

Keep believing the polls.

Mon, Jun 22, 2020 10:05 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Keep believing the polls.

Sure, your boy is pretty low right now.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Jun 22, 2020 12:00 PM

Big if true

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jun 22, 2020 12:26 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Sure, your boy is pretty low right now.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203207/trump-job-approval-weekly.aspx

In politics, five months is a long time.  I put little weight into the current poll numbers.  Of course Trump's campaign can't afford too many debacles like this Tulsa rally.  Outside of his base, most people probably don't care about his rallies one way or another.  Yet his people have hyped this thing for weeks.  Then they said a million people were inquiring about getting a ticket.  So the whole thing looked pathetic when no one showed up.  And just because of the noise his campaign made about it, it got attention from the majority of people who normally could not care less.  It was a total disaster - as Trump would say.

Mon, Jun 22, 2020 12:52 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Big if true

Sure. I mean it is just the same Gallop polls that have measured Presidential approval ratings since like Truman...yet, they are all fake news. 

Do you just think every poll is fake including the Fox News ones? 

posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

In politics, five months is a long time.  I put little weight into the current poll numbers.  Of course Trump's campaign can't afford too many debacles like this Tulsa rally.  Outside of his base, most people probably don't care about his rallies one way or another.  Yet his people have hyped this thing for weeks.  Then they said a million people were inquiring about getting a ticket.  So the whole thing looked pathetic when no one showed up.  And just because of the noise his campaign made about it, it got attention from the majority of people who normally could not care less.  It was a total disaster - as Trump would say.

Sure. Agreed. 5 months ago we didn't really think about the virus. A lot can change between now and election day. Still, the President is not changing his language or rhetoric. He is who is is. The more crazy shit he says, it seems like the less appealing he is to voters. In 2016, he could say this crazy shit, but he was new and people hated Clinton. Now, it may be people are tired of it and want a return to normal things. Again, that could all change, but that seems to be trend now.  

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Jun 22, 2020 7:07 PM

Trump was viewed by over 11 million people the other night.

Mon, Jun 22, 2020 7:11 PM
posted by Spock

Trump was viewed by over 11 million people the other night.

Yeah, car crashes and train wrecks are fun to watch. I knew people who watched it just to hear what crazy shit he would say. I even watched a minute and laughed. 

So, I guess the question is did he really tell Pence and the group to slow testing and did they? 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Jun 23, 2020 5:20 PM

………and they again fell for his comedic relief.

Incredible.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 201 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jun 23, 2020 6:19 PM
posted by QuakerOats

………and they again fell for his comedic relief.

Incredible.

Because of minor details such as how anyone considering himself a leader should be above things like cracking jokes about stuff concerning a disease that basically shut down large parts of the country and even now is still causing a division between the "numbers going back up simply because there are more tests and therefore, more positives" and the "numbers going back up because stuff was re-opened too quickly and people are being stupid in regards to masks, social distancing, etc." crowds.

When it comes down to him either being a total idiot who thinks a disease will be wiped out if no one is testing for it, a total asshole who feels low COVID numbers will help in re-election and will get those numbers by any means necessary regardless of potential future consequences OR a total dipshit who thinks the entire situation is worthy of his Tiernan-caliber "knee-slappers", it's not a good look regardless.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jun 23, 2020 6:38 PM
posted by Heretic

When it comes down to him either being a total idiot who thinks a disease will be wiped out if no one is testing for it, a total asshole who feels low COVID numbers will help in re-election and will get those numbers by any means necessary regardless of potential future consequences OR a total dipshit who thinks the entire situation is worthy of his Tiernan-caliber "knee-slappers", it's not a good look regardless.

I don't know if he's actually so callous or an idiot, but I agree he's not a leader.  I think he's just a master at trolling people.  He's used this tactic to his benefit for 3+ years now - he says something inflammatory that elicits a very predictable reaction from the left, and then he either walks it back or denies it and becomes a victim to his supporters.

I've been convinced for a while that he deliberately creates fake news, or "seeds" it in such manner, so that he can hold up those examples to discredit the garbage about him (and there's a lot) that's actually true.

I think he's lost critical swing votes from people who thought/hoped Reality TV Trump was just the ugly side of campaign politics and President Trump was going to be a different person. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Jun 24, 2020 12:05 PM

All real Americans care about are the policies and the results ……..all of which have been highly favorable to real Americans over the last 3 years.  The vitriol is for the left to go bonkers over.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login