2020 Presidential Election thread

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:28 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yes, as in the historical means that reporters have been getting information since newspapers and the press were invented.  

Edit: I caught myself. It does include his personal taxes before 2018 and 2019. It is a mix of business and personal before then. 

I stand by my last post and the post before.  Twitter did not apply the same standard to both stories. 
8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:29 PM
posted by like_that

Still without authorization.  Basically twitter (and your) arbitrary logic it's ok to leak unauthorized information as long as it goes thru the back channels of reporting and as long is it is not "hacked."  There is no way around it, his taxes were handed to the NYT illegally. 

Btw, the laptop was handed to the authorities, so the emails essentially were not hacked, and they were "leaked" just the way you explained how the taxes were. But, details are hard for you, I know.  So, with that being said, please tell me how the policy was equally applied to both stories. 

This is one of just many examples btw.  Are you also one who believes they apply their standards/policies equally?

The NYT story is the classic reporter story that we have seen from the NYT and others throughout their history. That is how I see it, and the NYP story was at the time deemed to have been obtained from hacked material, which is why twitter took it down at the time. 

That said, I wasn't a fan of twitter taking it down as I do think they should not be really in the business of judging that. I do also buy into the fact that the rules of banning is tilted in one direction over the other. 

Again, as to the story, it is all shorts of fishy with political appointees like the DNI making statements without any context. It is at this time, I wouldn't mind an official FBI statement on what they are or not doing. 

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:33 PM
posted by like_that

Ptown for unverified hearsay report of something Trump said: "guys this is really bad, and the nation is just sick of these stories from trump."

Ptown when controversy emails are posted tied to Biden:  "lol, do you think anyone cares."

I actually agree with you, that the country is facing Trump fatigue and sick of it.  That's why I think Biden wins.  I've already said it before, but I mainly find it funny you claim you're this reasonable right moderate, and yet you downplay every single report harping on the left, while taking over single report against trump for face value.   We already know how you will react to any bad news once the Biden administration is in play. 

Hey we agree on something! 

Oh you do huh? Don't assume. 

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:34 PM

The NYT story is the classic reporter story that we have seen from the NYT and others throughout their history. That is how I see it, and the NYP story was at the time deemed to have been obtained from hacked material, which is why twitter took it down at the time. 

That said, I wasn't a fan of twitter taking it down as I do think they should not be really in the business of judging that. I do also buy into the fact that the rules of banning is tilted in one direction over the other. 

Again, as to the story, it is all shorts of fishy with political appointees like the DNI making statements without any context. It is at this time, I wouldn't mind an official FBI statement on what they are or not doing. 

There are two problems with this.  1. The NYP account is still locked and 2. If twitter is going to block a story to verify if it it meets theri standards, then they should apply this same policy to every single story that is tweeted.  They simply don't apply the same standards to both sides.  

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:36 PM

Hey we agree on something! 

Oh you do huh? Don't assume. 

I have said from the beginning the one candidate that will beat Trump is Biden.  This was well before he even announced his candidacy.  
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 3:40 PM
posted by like_that

There are two problems with this.  1. The NYP account is still locked and 2. If twitter is going to block a story to verify if it it meets theri standards, then they should apply this same policy to every single story that is tweeted.  They simply don't apply the same standards to both sides.  

Sure, but the NYT story is the classic story, and the Post story is swirled in shady shit. That is probably why they still have it locked. But as I said, I am not a fan of that policy. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 5:44 PM

Did the NYT get the info on his taxes from hacking or the normal, traditional sources that reporters use? It is the second and that is the difference. Come on, you know better. 

Come on...you and I both know unless Donald Trump himself gave them his returns then they got them illegally.

Don’t play semantics ptown, you are smarter than that.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 5:46 PM

Yes, as in the historical means that reporters have been getting information since newspapers and the press were invented.  

Edit: I caught myself. It does include his personal taxes before 2018 and 2019. It is a mix of business and personal before then. 

Again, unless it was from Trump himself they got it illegally so still against Twitter’s rules.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 5:50 PM

The fact that you are defending twitter for not applying their rules evenly is telling.

jmog Senior Member
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 5:53 PM

Sure, but the NYT story is the classic story, and the Post story is swirled in shady shit. That is probably why they still have it locked. But as I said, I am not a fan of that policy. 

You can’t be serious.  One is classic journalism and one is shady shit?

At least try to not show your bias.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 5:53 PM

My area of Ohio has a duality of "loyalty", for lack of a better word.

The people who have Trump signs/flags in their yards also have democrat signs for jobs like county recorder and commissioner and the like. It's like they want to vote democrat, but only for the small jobs that are closer to home. I think this is really specific to this year, also. I don't remember such contrasts in '16, but I might be misremembering. 

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 6:03 PM

Speaking of the NYT, remember not long ago when one of their editors had to resign because Tom Cotton wrote an op-ed?

Also remember when Bari Weiss resigned from NYT because all it wanted was "muh orange man bad", the progressive power plays, went woke and made it a hostile work environment to be intellectually curious ?

For those who don't know, Bari Weiss is a liberal/centrist who made a name for herself by showcasing people like Joe Rogan, the Weinstein brothers, Dave Rubin and others. 

"But the truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times. Why edit something challenging to our readers, or write something bold only to go through the numbing process of making it ideologically kosher, when we can assure ourselves of job security (and clicks) by publishing our 4000th op-ed arguing that Donald Trump is a unique danger to the country and the world?"

Full resignation letter here: https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Miss me with defending the NYT bullshit. It's not what it used to be.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 19, 2020 6:20 PM
posted by like_that

Ptown for unverified hearsay report of something Trump said: "guys this is really bad, and the nation is just sick of these stories from trump."

Ptown when controversy emails are posted tied to Biden:  "lol, do you think anyone cares."

I actually agree with you, that the country is facing Trump fatigue and sick of it.  That's why I think Biden wins.  I've already said it before, but I mainly find it funny you claim you're this reasonable right moderate, and yet you downplay every single report harping on the left, while taking over single report against trump for face value.   We already know how you will react to any bad news once the Biden administration is in play. 

I have never claimed to be a moderate.  That is your interpretation.  I have made it quite clear I am not.  Reasonable right conservative would be a more correct description. In other words I can engage in political discourse without being a dick and actually listening to the other side..   I lean more libertarian on the federal level and less on state and local.

I am a registered Republican that stopped giving my hard earned money to the RNC like well over a decade ago.   The vast majority in my voting life the Republican candidate for president that I voted for in the primary is not the nominee (including Trump).  I have voted for guys like Ron Paul in R primaries.

I have made no bones about my historical dislike of the past of the Democrat party nor certain current party members.  There is a context to certain arguments however so you have to keep that in mind.   I have always made it a point to steer clear of the "well Obama did this" (I get the hypocrisy) or also for instance I made a choice to stay out of the Biden dementia discussion because I don't know.

I'll leave it at this.  Do my political leanings affect what I take the time out of my life to choose to post on a political message board of course.  Do my political leanings cause me to ever have an instant bend on media reports of course.  Do I have to exercise mental discipline, logic, reasoning, and evaluation of facts and the opinions of others to overcome that at times yes.

It's kind of like what Milton Friedman said, "Where are we going to find these angels to organize society for us?" Where are these unbiased moderates?  It's like when he said of course none of us are greedy its only the other guy that's greedy.  Substitute the word greedy with biased.  I don't believe pure as the wind driven snow moderates exist.  This is why my skin crawls with the term "blue ribbon commission".

Tue, Oct 20, 2020 2:00 AM
posted by majorspark

I have never claimed to be a moderate.  That is your interpretation.  I have made it quite clear I am not.  Reasonable right conservative would be a more correct description. In other words I can engage in political discourse without being a dick and actually listening to the other side..   I lean more libertarian on the federal level and less on state and local.

I am a registered Republican that stopped giving my hard earned money to the RNC like well over a decade ago.   The vast majority in my voting life the Republican candidate for president that I voted for in the primary is not the nominee (including Trump).  I have voted for guys like Ron Paul in R primaries.

I have made no bones about my historical dislike of the past of the Democrat party nor certain current party members.  There is a context to certain arguments however so you have to keep that in mind.   I have always made it a point to steer clear of the "well Obama did this" (I get the hypocrisy) or also for instance I made a choice to stay out of the Biden dementia discussion because I don't know.

I'll leave it at this.  Do my political leanings affect what I take the time out of my life to choose to post on a political message board of course.  Do my political leanings cause me to ever have an instant bend on media reports of course.  Do I have to exercise mental discipline, logic, reasoning, and evaluation of facts and the opinions of others to overcome that at times yes.

It's kind of like what Milton Friedman said, "Where are we going to find these angels to organize society for us?" Where are these unbiased moderates?  It's like when he said of course none of us are greedy its only the other guy that's greedy.  Substitute the word greedy with biased.  I don't believe pure as the wind driven snow moderates exist.  This is why my skin crawls with the term "blue ribbon commission".

Thanks for sharing, but I was referring to Ptown lol. I’m sure the mixup was that I quoted your post.

majorspark Senior Member
Tue, Oct 20, 2020 6:46 AM
posted by like_that

Thanks for sharing, but I was referring to Ptown lol. I’m sure the mixup was that I quoted your post.

Yes I was confused.  I was like how am I coming off as claiming to be a moderate?  As you can see I have a great degree of skepticism for people that call themselves moderates.  I guess its because I've seen people hide behind the term like they are some sort of "broad minded" shit don't stink type.  Then watch them get humped hard by the media. 

We actually have a form of government that allows differing governing policies to exist.  The problem is we have many on both sides that seek to use federal power to force their policies on all.

Tue, Oct 20, 2020 7:35 AM

I just saw the Jeff Toobin vid and honest to God, I will warn all of you to NOT be curious. Curiosity DID KILL THE FUCKING CAT.

Don't do it.

(edited to replace pic with vid)

majorspark Senior Member
Tue, Oct 20, 2020 8:38 AM

So "accidentally" exposing himself turned out to be him rubbing one out in front of his colleagues.  Yikes.

Tue, Oct 20, 2020 1:30 PM

Facebook took down a Babylon Bee article and demonitized their page for "inciting violence" against Senator Hirono.  For those who are not familiar, the Babylon Bee is a (right leaning) satire website (just like the onion) and in this particular article they used a Monty Python joke. Totally normal and Facebook obviously does this to every left leaning satire website.  Amirite Kizer and Gblock?

I don't even need to dig up past examples for you all, because we are getting them in real time lmao.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 20, 2020 1:31 PM

Oof.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Oct 20, 2020 1:39 PM

Yeah, Hirono is another I can't stand.  "Whheeeeeyyyy, it's just politics"....you have to be a special POS to make such public, personal attacks against people you really never met.  Routinely.  The main difference vs. Trump is he's just more vulgar, and does it much more frequently.

And I know that was a parody article, just making a general observation.  And the parody is pretty spot on, BTW, because she's definitely an unhinged quack.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login